NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

I guess the real question then is what is the difference between the A80J and the A90J?
I guess mainly the heat sink and audio chops. Due to Sony not pushing their panels as hard as other brands and generally not being as bright will be interesting to see the figures for the A80J I think it’ll still be slightly less bright than the G1 and A90J but will it be closer to the C1... perhaps.

All native apps are TV led anyway so unless you're using a 4k uhd player that's not really that big a deal seeing as there are native apps for everything else
Although they are TV led they are using an inferior profile on the older TVs that some reviewers have commented on it being too dark compared to other brands. This is known as low latency Dolby vision.

edit : actually think I read an old article and this is incorrect... so many conflicting things on the internet!

Last edited:
I'm moving more to the Sony camp now to eventually replace the two 77" CX's I returned for awful banding, dark blotches and worst of all the grid/brush stroke/venetian blind effect.

I decided to hold off a while on getting a new 77 to let the dust settle, so in the meantime I ordered a 55" to keep me going. I decided to give Sony a go and ordered an A8.

It arrived yesterday and it is in a different league quality wise. Panel is clean, little or no grid (definitely not visible on normal content like it was on my CX's). I also was concerned about Sony using player led or low latency DV, but for me the Sony DV looks better overall. I've read that Sony looks to preserve APL above specular highlights but I was never sure what that actually meant or how it would come across in reality. I now do. For me the CX overly dims the picture on HDR and DV. I tested identical content such as GOT S08E03 etc and it's a much more brighter image overall. LG might get brighter in highlights but to me it is at the expense of overall picture brightness. The whole package is better for me on the Sony.

What I've learned big time is the grid is definitely another panel lottery issue. It's also proof positive that I wasn't being overly critical or "looking for issues" as I'm very happy with this A8. If the A80J could match the uniformity of this set (I know the A8 is only 55 and I'm looking to 77 in the A80J), I would very very happy.

Aside from the uniformity improvements a big change for me is how much better the Sony is for watching sport. Motion is much better. You can actually use interpolation without stutter and artefacts on the Sony.

Christ one guy in the other forum has been crying like a baby about the rtings reviews for ages now, im genuinly starting to think there is something wrong with him lol.

All native apps are TV led anyway so unless you're using a 4k uhd player that's not really that big a deal seeing as there are native apps for everything else
So it is a big deal for people using a 4k blu ray player.

So it is a big deal for people using a 4k blu ray player.

Perhaps but I'd take the other improvements Sony brings to the table over having TV led DV for the odd DV UHD disc , there's no way that is anywhere near the top of my list of priorities

Perhaps but I'd take the other improvements Sony brings to the table over having TV led DV for the odd DV UHD disc , there's no way that is anywhere near the top of my list of priorities
Thats fine, it doesn’t need to be at the top of your list, however there are people that use blu-ray and have “the odd DV UHD disc” and would want to watch Dolby Vision content in the best way possible. The new A90J will provide that.
Horses for courses.

Thats fine, it doesn’t need to be at the top of your list, however there are people that use blu-ray and have “the odd DV UHD disc” and would want to watch Dolby Vision content in the best way possible. The new A90J will provide that.
Horses for courses.
Yes,and many people would rather have the latest TV with up to date specs and pay a premium for it ,than to save money and get an older tv even if performance is similar.

Is it me or do I feel I have to justify being an early adopter a bit like an AA meeting.....

Stands up

My name is capt_janeway, I am buying a 55" premium OLED television at a premium price, replacing a 8 year old, 40" curved screen LCD Samsung from Hong Kong (which will be going into the bedroom and not being disposed of)

:)

Is it me or do I feel I have to justify being an early adopter a bit like an AA meeting.....

Stands up

My name is capt_janeway, I am buying a 55" premium OLED television at a premium price, replacing a 8 year old, 40" curved screen LCD Samsung from Hong Kong (which will be going into the bedroom and not being disposed of)

:)
And especially as it's a tv tech forum lol.

77 A80J and 75X90J prices are tempting.

When is the next key date when we might know more about the a90 in the uk? John Lewis dates?

Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a 77 ag9 @ £2839 or wait for price to drop on the A80J
2839 is pretty cheap mate, depends if you want the newer tv with upgraded processor, more ram and memory, brighter screen, full fat dolby vision, google tv ui, hdmi 2.1, possible new evo panel?

that a costco price?

2839 is pretty cheap mate, depends if you want the newer tv with upgraded processor, more ram and memory, brighter screen, full fat dolby vision, google tv ui, hdmi 2.1, possible new evo panel?

that a costco price?
yeah I know that’s why I’m tempted!! How long will it take for the A80J to come down to £3k? I can’t wait as I do have a TV at the moment just weighing up the pro’s and con’s?!

It was a price match / beat to CostCo

yeah I know that’s why I’m tempted!! How long will it take for the A80J to come down to £3k? I can’t wait as I do have a TV at the moment just weighing up the pro’s and con’s?!

It was a price match / beat to CostCo
I imagine in a couple of months it will be under 3999 anyway.. maybe some deals kicking about for the euros? or the olympics?
failing that you're talking black friday before big drops.

I imagine in a couple of months it will be under 3999 anyway.. maybe some deals kicking about for the euros? or the olympics?
failing that you're talking black friday before big drops.
Yeah that’s what I’m figuring I did say I would wait until Black Friday for this years models to drop after I sent back the A85 but the price of the AG9 is very tempting!

that a costco price?
Yes good little upgrades vs the older Sony models,as the Af9 and Ag9 in certain scenes did get dim vs the LG sets as I did notice myself and was mentioned in reviews on HDTV test, Avf and other sites about Sony sets having some dim scenes in dolby vision. Not a massive deal for most but everyone loves improvements.

Very good starter prices too:thumbsup:

ABL on other OLEDS is beginning to worry me. Panasonic has none of it.

When is the next key date when we might know more about the a90 in the uk? John Lewis dates?

The ETA on the 55" hasn't changed for a while now, so perhaps the EU delay is going to hit us too. Still saying 5 weeks, which makes May probable at this point, though Currys were claiming April 21st I believe.

Yes good little upgrades vs the older Sony models,as the Af9 and Ag9 in certain scenes did get dim vs the LG sets as I did notice myself and was mentioned in reviews on HDTV test, Avf and other sites about Sony sets having some dim scenes in dolby vision. Not a massive deal for most but everyone loves improvements.

Very good starter prices too:thumbsup:
Think I’ve decided I’m going to hang fire and wait for the 2021 models price to drop

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom