NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

Not gonna lie, but this latest news has given me the jitters big style. A lot of us here have just forked out some serious well-earned dosh to treat ourselves on one of these sets, and by the looks of it they ain't looking in the best of health after a few sessions viewing. Thought this heatsink of Sony's was supposed to prolong the life of the panel?

14 days isn't going to be long enough for me to get a decent amount of viewing in to get close to the hours being reported that this issue starts to kick in. So I guess my question is, what are my rights after the 14 days (no quibble returns) and if this problem occurs at say day 60-100? If it's a defect can I just say to JL come and pick it up and return me my £3.5k, or do they have me over a barrel and will only offer me a replacement?

Could I even request that they swap it out for something like a high end 2021 QLED or NanoLED, which could be cheaper and thus be a candidate for a partial refund?

This I guess is one of the advantages of our cousins across the pond getting these TV's a month or so before us. Right now the cons of this set are just starting to creep up toward the pro's and it's a tad concerning here...
JL is 28 days

Not gonna lie, but this latest news has given me the jitters big style. A lot of us here have just forked out some serious well-earned dosh to treat ourselves on one of these sets, and by the looks of it they ain't looking in the best of health after a few sessions viewing. Thought this heatsink of Sony's was supposed to prolong the life of the panel?

14 days isn't going to be long enough for me to get a decent amount of viewing in to get close to the hours being reported that this issue starts to kick in. So I guess my question is, what are my rights after the 14 days (no quibble returns) and if this problem occurs at say day 60-100? If it's a defect can I just say to JL come and pick it up and return me my £3.5k, or do they have me over a barrel and will only offer me a replacement?

Could I even request that they swap it out for something like a high end 2021 QLED or NanoLED, which could be cheaper and thus be a candidate for a partial refund?

This I guess is one of the advantages of our cousins across the pond getting these TV's a month or so before us. Right now the cons of this set are just starting to creep up toward the pro's and it's a tad concerning here...
Totally agree. I'm getting very twitchy right now.

Those pink edges sounds scary.

Most likely JL will try to repair it first, send someone out possibly, send it away etc. I had an item faulty within 24 hours and their standard reply was to send it off for repair. In the end, I took it back to store and changed for a higher priced item. Had a right argument on my hands in stores however, but got the higher priced item.

I don't think you can simply hand it back faulty without them investigating. Might be worth a chat with them. I understand you getting twitchy. I am not in the market for a TV but I would feel exactly the same seeing a few things across the pond happening.

As someone who suffered from the red tint issue on my Kuro plasma, I am getting serious flashbacks here. The issue I have is I bought with vouchers at JL as I get a serious discount buying through work, so a refund at this point would leave me with thousands sitting in my JL account, and given how shaky their finances are that would worry me. The Panasonics aren't launching for ages yet and I can't bring myself to buy anything LG again, so I'm a bit stuck at the minute on what to do.

As someone who suffered from the red tint issue on my Kuro plasma, I am getting serious flashbacks here. The issue I have is I bought with vouchers at JL as I get a serious discount buying through work, so a refund at this point would leave me with thousands sitting in my JL account, and given how shaky their finances are that would worry me. The Panasonics aren't launching for ages yet and I can't bring myself to buy anything LG again, so I'm a bit stuck at the minute on what to do.

Buy an AG9 while you can, it's a superb TV 👍

Buy an AG9 while you can, it's a superb TV 👍
I'm not sure if it is a big enough improvement on my AF9 to justify it. I mean, the A90J wasn't going to be a night and day difference either, but even so. With the horror stories coming out of owner's threads, it has definitely got me contemplating things. The main worry I have is that pink tint issue on the borders, as it isn't something that is there straight away, so you will never feel comfortable watching the TV, knowing it could crop up at any time. It also points to it being a design issue as I can't recall anything like that happening with an OLED range before, and the new LG is using the same panel, so it is obviously something Sony are inserting into the manufacturing process.

It also points to it being a design issue as I can't recall anything like that happening with an OLED range before, and the new LG is using the same panel, so it is obviously something Sony are inserting into the manufacturing process.
This is a great point... and will most likely give it a week to see how prevalent it becomes across the pond and then if more and more cases come in, cancel my order before it's shipped. If it does transpire to be a design floor within the A90J's, emanating from the inclusion of their heatsink, then their master series range is gonna be in big trouble this year.

Don't think I can stomach watching the winter Olympics with pink snow and grass-based sports with a different tinge on the left edge!! Not what I paid 3.5k for...

Wow, just saw pic's of macmame's panel that he sent back... That's just downright awful and glaringly obvious, even without doing greyscale testing as it's present even within the Google TV menu's o_O. Nobody should part with that much cash and have to put up with that.

Is it me or does it appear this pink edge tinting appears more prevalent on the 55" models?

This is a great point... and will most likely give it a week to see how prevalent it becomes across the pond and then if more and more cases come in, cancel my order before it's shipped. If it does transpire to be a design floor within the A90J's, emanating from the inclusion of their heatsink, then their master series range is gonna be in big trouble this year.

Don't think I can stomach watching the winter Olympics with pink snow and grass-based sports with a different tinge on the left edge!! Not what I paid 3.5k for...

Do you think John Lewis will want their headphones back? :zonked: Yeah really not sure what to do now. I can live with the panel lottery but something like this developing down the line is troubling and I'd never be confident that it won't happen at some point. We could do with another delay for a few weeks!😂

I'm not sure if it is a big enough improvement on my AF9 to justify it. I mean, the A90J wasn't going to be a night and day difference either, but even so. With the horror stories coming out of owner's threads, it has definitely got me contemplating things. The main worry I have is that pink tint issue on the borders, as it isn't something that is there straight away, so you will never feel comfortable watching the TV, knowing it could crop up at any time. It also points to it being a design issue as I can't recall anything like that happening with an OLED range before, and the new LG is using the same panel, so it is obviously something Sony are inserting into the manufacturing process.

Yeah, must admit I only jumped ship to the AG9 due to the price of the 77" being so competitive but I've never been so happy with a TV so have no inclination to swap it anytime soon. Hope everything works out whatever you decide to do anyway🤞

Do you think John Lewis will want their headphones back? :zonked: Yeah really not sure what to do now. I can live with the panel lottery but something like this developing down the line is troubling and I'd never be confident that it won't happen at some point. We could do with another delay for a few weeks!😂
Then again, there are others saying that they haven't seen a returned A90J at a Best Buy within 200+ miles of their location. Returns seem to be put on the shop floor as opened boxes for some reason @ Best buy..??

Just need to hold tight fella... Don't think we're gonna get any dispatch emails for at least another 2 weeks. So we still have some time.

What you thinking mate.. an A90J /G1 or the JZ/2000/1500 or i could do you a deal on mine.
At the moment it's between the A90J, G1,A80J, or C1 and some am thinking of the 77" .

As always I don't think that there will be a massive difference in performance between each set. Jz2000/1500 coming out this August so is a bit late for me.

Can offer £700 for your GZ2000, fantastic pic and best set I ever owned :D:smashin:

Like all retailers if bought online you have 30 days to return if not happy and the TV not up to standard.

With my dealings with JL ,you would have not much of a problem swapping a bad panel for another brand.

After 30 days,it all depends just how long after the 30 days whether they would do the same thing as they would if within 30 days. They are entitled to go for a repair if they choose , a lot comes down to how you talk to them and that particular person on the line.

People had tint issues on pani hz2000 this year so it does happen. Wonder how many happy a90j users there are? Mainland Europe getting tv first so should be a good indication. Also the tv will be boxed specifically for different regions because of plug connections so could be a bad batch in US. hoping UK is good.

You could always buy @clydebest GZ2000, genuine sale,no tint or banding. One careful elderly lady owner,only used at weekends. Must be seen £700 OVNO :smashin:

B97F03DD-6C16-4EE6-9678-83A54043957D.jpeg

If the UK is delayed till the end of May I’m cancelling mine.

If they are using the time to sort this problem out, I will wait as long as it takes.

If the UK is delayed till the end of May I’m cancelling mine.
I can wait but obviously I’d prefer it sooner. I’m starting to think should I save 1k and get the ag9. If the ag9 is upgraded to google tv I’d probably just go with it.

This is why You don't rush TV purchases. Better wait a year for amazing prices and You will know, which TV is best from last year to buy.

This is why You don't rush TV purchases. Better wait a year for amazing prices and You will know, which TV is best from last year to buy.
It’s a fair point. The challenge is if you wait another month last years sets will start to get thin on the ground

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom