NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

Apart from brighter OLED Master Series this year, their LCD line up has nothing to be excited about and remains the same as before, however with the new processor and more HDMI 2.1 features.

However, in terms of picture quality, it won't be different than last year's models.

Not sure how much further you could improve the picture quality of full-array LCD TVs with limited dimming zones, even with a new processor, year after year.

Wish Sony had Mini-LED models this year, that would have progressed the LCD backlighting tech further.
Think they just want to hang back.. let samsung etc screw it up for a year or so with new mini led tech, then sweep in with a nice mini led setup.

Apart from brighter OLED Master Series this year, their LCD line up has nothing to be excited about and remains the same as before, however with the new processor and more HDMI 2.1 features.

However, in terms of picture quality, it won't be different than last year's models.

Not sure how much further you could improve the picture quality of full-array LCD TVs with limited dimming zones, even with a new processor, year after year.

Wish Sony had Mini-LED models this year, that would have progressed the LCD backlighting tech further.
I think, minus HDMI 2.1 Sony topped out in 2016 with the Z9D-that was the high water mark for their LCD tech

I think, minus HDMI 2.1 Sony topped out in 2016 with the Z9D-that was the high water mark for their LCD tech
Agreed. Sony realized that with a high end LCD with traditional FALD approach with many zones, is going to be very expensive to make and to sell, which would have to compete with OLED models in price. And customers are more likely to choose OLEDs over a very high end LCD-LED models.

Samsung no doubt will promote its Mini-LED models as an OLED rival, just like before with their QLED line up but now has a new weapon. We shall see how it performs against traditional LCD sets.

With me, I don't trust Samsung QC and would have liked Sony to bring out Mini-LED, as Sony produces the best LCD TVs imo. Never bought a Samsung or LG TV before.

Last edited:
I live in an apartment and currently own a 55inch C7 that has heavy burn-in around the perimeter due to the ridiculous amount of logos and stationary text on Japanese TV channels ( most of you would have a heart attack seeing my TV on a plain red background 😂😂). The burn-in isn't as noticeable when watching movies or gaming so I have persevered with it while waiting for the next real breakthrough with OLED tech. It seems that time has finally come with the LG G1 and Sony A90J.

I want to upgrade in size and had been originally thinking to go 65" but after watching FOMO who says "whatever size your thinking always try go one up", I'm wanting to get home cinema experience and now targeting a 77 inch G1 or the 83 A90J ( since there is no 77 for the Sony). My couch is around 6 feet away from the TV, is it massive overkill to be thinking to go that big? or am I going to cause damage to my eyes ? 😂.

Also, I have a ps5 and Series X along with a Sonos Arc which relies on E-ARC. Should I be worried that the Sony only has 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs ?

Sorry for the many question but would appreciate any thoughts on the above from experienced Home theatre enthusiasts like you all.

I live in an apartment and currently own a 55inch C7 that has heavy burn-in around the perimeter due to the ridiculous amount of logos and stationary text on Japanese TV channels ( most of you would have a heart attack seeing my TV on a plain red background 😂😂). The burn-in isn't as noticeable when watching movies or gaming so I have persevered with it while waiting for the next real breakthrough with OLED tech. It seems that time has finally come with the LG G1 and Sony A90J.

I want to upgrade in size and had been originally thinking to go 65" but after watching FOMO who says "whatever size your thinking always try go one up", I'm wanting to get home cinema experience and now targeting a 77 inch G1 or the 83 A90J ( since there is no 77 for the Sony). My couch is around 6 feet away from the TV, is it massive overkill to be thinking to go that big? or am I going to cause damage to my eyes ? 😂.

Also, I have a ps5 and Series X along with a Sonos Arc which relies on E-ARC. Should I be worried that the Sony only has 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs ?

Sorry for the many question but would appreciate any thoughts on the above from experienced Home theatre enthusiasts like you all.

Never ever has anyone complained about getting a larger TV relative to the smaller version. If your space and wallet allows for it, go for the 83"!

I think my 2 choices are going to be either the 75 inch X95J or the 65 inch A90J. I currently have a Samsung 65 inch so if I go OLED I will stay with that size. If I go LCD, I wanna go bigger. Still slightly concerned about burn in with OLED because I'm a heavy gamer.

Curious about the lack of four 2.1 ports myself. Here's my setup and I may be shooting myself in the foot as it stands now. My TV is a 2016 Samsung KS8500 with e-Arc. Curved screen (which I love). PS5 and Xbox Series X. Nintendo Switch and DIRECT TV so that's all 4 of my HDMI ports so I couldn't use the e-Arc (unless I have it set up incorrectly). Because for sound, I have a Bose 700 Sound bar and the 700 Subwoofer. If I sent audio to it using e-Arc, I'd have to either not have my Switch docked or disconnect the satellite. Both the TV and Sound bar are connected with the optical cable. That is the only other way I could get sound to Sound bar. Or do I have it connected wrong. And also, would e-Arc sound different/better than the optical cable? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I think my 2 choices are going to be either the 75 inch X95J or the 65 inch A90J. I currently have a Samsung 65 inch so if I go OLED I will stay with that size. If I go LCD, I wanna go bigger. Still slightly concerned about burn in with OLED because I'm a heavy gamer.
I wouldn't worry about it, the fuss around burn in is so overplayed it's ridiculous. I've had a Panasonic OLED for the last 2.5 years and have gamed for hundreds of hours on my TV including playing the same game for 10+ hour sessions at a time and I've not seen the slightest sign of burn in yet. There are the occasional reports of it happening, yes, but only for very, very specific use case scenarios (i.e. only ever watching the same TV channels with logos all day, everyday) and mainly on older OLED models that don't have burn in protection. Compared to the amount of people that raise it as an issue with OLED technology the actual verified reports of it happening are so miniscule that 99% of consumers need not worry about it, there are any number of issues that are more likely to occur before burn in does so the level of concern on the issue is mostly unfounded IMO.

I wouldn't worry about it, the fuss around burn in is so overplayed it's ridiculous. I've had a Panasonic OLED for the last 2.5 years and have gamed for hundreds of hours on my TV including playing the same game for 10+ hour sessions at a time and I've not seen the slightest sign of burn in yet. There are the occasional reports of it happening, yes, but only for very, very specific use case scenarios (i.e. only ever watching the same TV channels with logos all day, everyday) and mainly on older OLED models that don't have burn in protection. Compared to the amount of people that raise it as an issue with OLED technology the actual verified reports of it happening are so miniscule that 99% of consumers need not worry about it, there are any number of issues that are more likely to occur before burn in does so the level of concern on the issue is mostly unfounded IMO.
Have you tried running a red slideshow on your OLED?

Curious about the lack of four 2.1 ports myself. Here's my setup and I may be shooting myself in the foot as it stands now. My TV is a 2016 Samsung KS8500 with e-Arc. Curved screen (which I love). PS5 and Xbox Series X. Nintendo Switch and DIRECT TV so that's all 4 of my HDMI ports so I couldn't use the e-Arc (unless I have it set up incorrectly). Because for sound, I have a Bose 700 Sound bar and the 700 Subwoofer. If I sent audio to it using e-Arc, I'd have to either not have my Switch docked or disconnect the satellite. Both the TV and Sound bar are connected with the optical cable. That is the only other way I could get sound to Sound bar. Or do I have it connected wrong. And also, would e-Arc sound different/better than the optical cable? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Can’t help with hdmi but I’ve just gone from a 75” Samsung ks9000, to a Sony 85” x950 and it’s a lot better. For me the most noticeable improvement is in the clouding/blooming in black bars etc around the edges due to the edge lit source, and I mean a real good improvement.
The only negative is the sound has a lot more ummph and bass on my Samsung compared to Sony.

Can’t help with hdmi but I’ve just gone from a 75” Samsung ks9000, to a Sony 85” x950 and it’s a lot better. For me the most noticeable improvement is in the clouding/blooming in black bars etc around the edges due to the edge lit source, and I mean a real good improvement.
The only negative is the sound has a lot more ummph and bass on my Samsung compared to Sony.
I think because your Bose soundbar supports 5.1 and not Dolby atmos you're fine. From my understanding Atmos requires more bandwidth which is why hdmi 2.1/ e-arc is necessary for me.

I have the Sony Atmos soundbar and subwoofer. Someone here says the sound bar won’t work with the new TVs but can the TV accept the subwoofer or is it all a no? And if that’s the case how do people get a sound bar and subwoofer which works with these TVs? Or don’t they need them anymore?

I have the same 5 year old TV and wonder if it’s 80J, 90J or G1 to aim for...

Again have the same 5 year old 75XD9405, it’s been amazing, I think the replacement will have to be the 90J for the extra brightness, to match the 75XD. Will miss the 3D!

Again have the same 5 year old 75XD9405, it’s been amazing, I think the replacement will have to be the 90J for the extra brightness, to match the 75XD. Will miss the 3D!
Yeah I agree. I do notice the screen being dark grey and not black black when the Netflix is loading. So that’s maybe just LCDs drawback or maybe my setting of black level. But when it’s playing the images have been beautiful.

Never ever has anyone complained about getting a larger TV relative to the smaller version. If your space and wallet allows for it, go for the 83"!
Haha well I think I will then. In anticipation last night I measured out my current TV stand and the space around it . stand is roughly 10 cm too short but thank goodness for the 3 way stand to place the legs in the middle !. My only concern is the right side of the tv will have 10 cm MAX clearance from the air conditioner which is mounted on the wall to the right 😅😅. Is this going to be a problem ? Air conditioner never goes above 24 degrees celsius in winter and never lower than 20 in summer.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom