NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

The A90J is created to win Awards! It is like GZ2000 with higher color volumes.

It's strange, The first time I ever heard about the GZ/HZ2000 lacking colour for HDR etc was a few days ago when reviewers like vincent or avf guys were talking about the new Sony.

Everyone always went on about how bright and accurate it was/is.. How come this instant change all of a sudden? :facepalm::smoke:

Or did I just skim over them parts of all the initial GZ/HZ 2000 reviews? 🧐

83'' Sony is the only set that takes my fancy. Hopefully its priced sensibly and the price falls sensibly too ;)

The A90J sounds "award winning" to me :love: :D

Gonna do more than sound it

a90j.png

:D :smoke:

I just watched his HZ2000 review again, he doesn't mention anything about colour purity being an issue on it, so it's the first he mentioned it (afaik) on the A90J video :zonked:

(I mean obviously OLED has always suffered with colour volume, with being wrgb, but as you say, I don't remember anyone complaining about colours being more washed out on the 2000 at high brightness compared to the 950/1000/1500?)

Last edited:
Gonna do more than sound it

View attachment 1440802

:D :smoke:

I just watched his HZ2000 review again, he doesn't mention anything about colour purity being an issue on it, so it's the first he mentioned it afaik, on the A90J video :zonked:

(I mean obviously OLED has always suffered with colour volume, with being wrgb, but as you say, I don't remember anyone complaining about colours being more washed out on the 2000 at high brightness compared to the 950/1000/1500?)
:rotfl:

Yup strange how it's just suddenly mentioned from most reviewers o_O
slugsy never even mentioned it in his review(s) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Last edited:
I'm curious though how Panasonic are so confident their JustslightlyupdatedZ2000 is still going to be the brightest OLED of 2021, when the panel is the same as last years? Or is it just sour grapes because they didn't have any more money to divert from their OS/UI department to pay for the better panels? :D

The interview with Panasonic at CES 2020 and Vinnie's review of the HZ2000 make it pretty clear the (Panasonic-designed) Heatsink is the only hardware modification to the panel, rest is software.

The Evo panel uses new emitters to generate more precise wavelengths, so brightness and colour purity should improve. Surely that's a much better solution than just slapping a heatsink on and turning the dial up?

I just hope the Sony is using the exact same panel as the G1. Would make the buying decision very easy :love: Knowing Sony, we won't get any sort of technical info until the TV reviews appear :rolleyes:

I'm curious though how Panasonic are so confident their JustslightlyupdatedZ2000 is still going to be the brightest OLED of 2021, when the panel is the same as last years? Or is it just sour grapes because they didn't have any more money to divert from their OS/UI department to pay for the better panels? :D

The interview with Panasonic at CES 2020 and Vinnie's review of the HZ2000 make it pretty clear the (Panasonic-designed) Heatsink is the only hardware modification to the panel, rest is software.

The Evo panel uses new emitters to generate more precise wavelengths, so brightness and colour purity should improve. Surely that's a much better solution than just slapping a heatsink on and turning the dial up?

I just hope the Sony is using the exact same panel as the G1. Would make the buying decision very easy :love: Knowing Sony, we won't get any sort of technical info until the TV reviews appear :rolleyes:
It certainly sounds like the newest gen panel in the Sony, like you say though we won't know for a while.
Bit of a bitter pill to swallow (for me) buying the A90J for mega bucks IF it didn't have the latest panel tech, especially as i want my next tv to actually last me for a good few years.
Panny said themselves they have pretty much reached the peak of what they can do with oled.. so I guess that means another high nit oled with the best colour accuracy with washed out colours :smoke:

It certainly sounds like the newest gen panel in the Sony, like you say though we won't know for a while.
Bit of a bitter pill to swallow (for me) buying the A90J for mega bucks IF it didn't have the latest panel tech, especially as i want my next tv to actually last me for a good few years.
Panny said themselves they have pretty much reached the peak of what they can do with oled.. so I guess that means another high nit oled with the best colour accuracy with washed out colours :smoke:

You'd certainly hope so. Just wonder why they haven't advertised the fact they're using the newer generation panel, if they are. Seem to have focused on the sheet of metal aiding cooling, rather than any efficiency improvements that would come from using the Evo panel.

Sorry for this next question but how does one know which generation panel to look out for?

It's strange, The first time I ever heard about the GZ/HZ2000 lacking colour for HDR etc was a few days ago when reviewers like vincent or avf guys were talking about the new Sony.

Everyone always went on about how bright and accurate it was/is.. How come this instant change all of a sudden? :facepalm::smoke:

Or did I just skim over them parts of all the initial GZ/HZ 2000 reviews? 🧐
There is nowt wrong with the colour on the HZ2000, what tosh :laugh:

:rotfl:

Yup strange how it's just suddenly mentioned from most reviewers o_O
slugsy never even mentioned it in his review(s) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D
Aye, I didn’t because it’s a load of b*llocks, this is more to do with a bunch of Sony wanna be fan boys hoping to justify paying £3 or £4K premium at the outset! :D

The sets aren’t even out yet and the miaowing is already starting!:laugh:

So are we saying the Panasonic’s don’t lose colour by boosting the whites for peak brightness? Or are we saying it’s not noticeable to a viewer? Genuine question, I’m not taking sides. Besides, I’m after 75inch plus and Panasonic isn’t playing in that field.

So are we saying the Panasonic’s don’t lose colour by boosting the whites for peak brightness? Or are we saying it’s not noticeable to a viewer? Genuine question, I’m not taking sides. Besides, I’m after 75inch plus and Panasonic isn’t playing in that field.
It’s definitely not noticeable to a viewer given my own experience and also that of a number of professional calibrators that I have talked to whom have calibrated those sets. It doesn’t get mentioned in any reviews it pure conjecture and speculation.

I have no brand preference, I’ve owned both, but taking some marketing spew of a future, unseen and untested set, to justify potentially buying something when never owning the opposing set in the first place is a reach in a half.

When someone buys an A90J and has previously owned a HZ2000 then fine, let’s get it from someone who actually can justify the opinion or a calibrator who has experience of both. Before that it’s pure speculation.

PS. Again, I’m in same boat, I’m looking for 77”+ so won’t even be considering Panasonic.

It’s definitely not noticeable to a viewer given my own experience and also that of a number of professional calibrators that I have talked to whom have calibrated those sets. It doesn’t get mentioned in any reviews it pure conjecture and speculation.

I have no brand preference, I’ve owned both, but taking some marketing spew of a future, unseen and untested set, to justify potentially buying something when never owning the opposing set in the first place is a reach in a half.

When someone buys an A90J and has previously owned a HZ2000 then fine, let’s get it from someone who actually can justify the opinion or a calibrator who has experience of both. Before that it’s pure speculation.

i have to agree. This is the double edged sword of forums. Some will be objective and others will farm their own opinions as facts. Then again, viewing is a subjective issue and some may prefer a certain picture but I seem to find all makes offering a ‘ nice’ picture so I must be ignorant lol. I do think the user interface IS an important thing and I find Panasonic’s system not as easy as... say the LG.
Do you have a view on LCD v Oled right now?

The Panasonic has won many awards for colour accuracy/reproduction and if available in the US would have one more. If it is used in grading suites in the US, you have to ask why.

I do think the A90J will finally give the Panny some competition though which we will all benefit from ££ (at least in the smaller sizes)

i have to agree. This is the double edged sword of forums. Some will be objective and others will farm their own opinions as facts. Then again, viewing is a subjective issue and some may prefer a certain picture but I seem to find all makes offering a ‘ nice’ picture so I must be ignorant lol. I do think the user interface IS an important thing and I find Panasonic’s system not as easy as... say the LG.
Do you have a view on LCD v Oled right now?
The thing is, I’m not saying it’s not POTENTIALLY exciting and POTENTIALLY a differentiator in the future but nobody knows, it’s all marketing blurb which Sony (and Samsung) are masters. We don’t know what either Panasonic sets or Sony sets will be like, it’s exciting and I’m not saying people shouldn’t debate what it might be like or what it could mean. I too have high hopes for the new Sony A90J, but I’m calling out knocking the HZ2000 for something that can’t be backed up and is being spouted by non owners just to justify potential future purchases.

I completely agree with you on OS as well, Panasonic’s suck, I hated it and my wife hated it and it was a factor in picking the AG9 over it.

I also agree it’s each person’s poison. Some people love Samsung QLED, some Sony, some Panasonic etc, I can’t knock anyone for what they like, we don’t celebrate people enjoying their sets on this forum enough, it’s quite often about nit picking on the smallest minutia in a negative way. Who am I to say a Panasonic is better than a Sony if someone prefers it? Not me but don’t say it as fact.

I don’t dare get into LCD v OLED. I had a ZH8 this year, supposedly the best LCD of 2020 and brightness of over 2,500 nits but it wasn’t for me. I love the contrast the OLED blacks give you. If I was watching only HDR and dead on to the set though or was a gamer, it might have been a different story as it was a proper light cannon.

Last edited:
The Panasonic has won many awards for colour accuracy/reproduction and if available in the US would have one more. If it is used in grading suites in the US, you have to ask why.

I do think the A90J will finally give the Panny some competition though which we will all benefit from ££ (at least in the smaller sizes)
Totally agree, hopefully it will make Panasonic push the boundaries as I do think they have been resting on their laurels.

Is there any suggestion that the new 90J LED range wont have vignetting? Every time I get close to buying a new TV, I want something 'upper mid range', and theres only a couple that get close, and as soon as I see those dim corners Im out, once I see it I cant unsee it. I know it doesnt bother a lot of people but it totally breaks the illusion to me.

These J sets seem to be talking a big game for processing but I assume the vignetting is down to the blacklight LED configuration.

Is there any suggestion that the new 90J LED range wont have vignetting? Every time I get close to buying a new TV, I want something 'upper mid range', and theres only a couple that get close, and as soon as I see those dim corners Im out, once I see it I cant unsee it. I know it doesnt bother a lot of people but it totally breaks the illusion to me.

These J sets seem to be talking a big game for processing but I assume the vignetting is down to the blacklight LED configuration.
It’s a great question that covers OLED as well, I’ve certainly suffered from that in the past.

I’ll add in tinting as well to that. I was talking to @wezzywebb about that wondering whether the Sony process works in a different way to the Panasonic OLED (which I believe it does) and would that help uniformity.

The HZ2000 did suffer from batches with tint, which nobody really knows why but there was conjecture that it was the heat sink process Panasonic put it through which improved banding but had a side affect of tinting.

My own experience of Sony both OLED and LED has been their master series seems to go through a factory calibration and generally without any facts, my experience has been this panel uniformity has been very good but I wonder how the new panels and process that Sony are doing will affect it. I haven’t seen any marketing around that?

There is nowt wrong with the colour on the HZ2000, what tosh :laugh:

Aye, I didn’t because it’s a load of b*llocks, this is more to do with a bunch of Sony wanna be fan boys hoping to justify paying £3 or £4K premium at the outset! :D

The sets aren’t even out yet and the miaowing is already starting!:laugh:

it's not me that said it, it was in Vincent's video and phil and Steve withers mentioned it on the podcast, ? Are you saying they are Sony fanboys trying to justify 3 or 4 k? Or that I am for wondering why they said it?

@steviedr @Slugsy01 and @deon444 because you "liked" that comment
All @SimonST and I were wondering is why this was never ever mentioned once by any of the "big" reviewers? and the first whiff of it mentioned is when Sony and LG take out a new oled with boosted rgb.
surely it's something worth mentioning in the initial reviews? If not why are they mentioning it now?

Just a FYI for the panny fanboys it's not ME that said it, but your favourite online worldwide audience calibrator and reviewers. Don't shoot the messenger.

here's the first time I heard about it, although Vincent does say he said it in either his gz2000 or hz2000 review, time stamped for your convenience.

Last edited:
Just wondering with issues such as tinting, DSE, banding, stuttering, lower brightness....is that particularly a ‘ forum members’ view because we’re clearly looking for it or have the sets out there sold well and not had major numbers returned by consumers for these faults? I ask because we go to the stores and everyone is confidently selling their sets as being wonderful and yet we look here and find whole threads talking about issues! It worries me because I don’t know if this is just focusing on very minor issues or they’re real everyday problems for every buyer. I have seen Samsung admit the stutter issue but did that result in them stopping sales of the affected models? Or are complaints so few that they don’t need to?

it's not me that said it, it was in Vincent's video and phil and Steve withers mentioned it on the podcast, ? Are you saying they are Sony fanboys trying to justify 3 or 4 k? Or that I am for wondering why they said it?

All @SimonST and I were wondering is why this was never ever mentioned once by any of the "big" reviewers? and the first whiff of it mentioned is when Sony and LG take out a new oled with boosted rgb.
surely it's something worth mentioning in the initial reviews? If not why are they mentioning it now?

Just a FYI for the panny fanboys it's not ME that said it, but your favourite online worldwide audience calibrator and reviewers. Don't shoot the messenger.

here's the first time I heard about it, although Vincent does say he said it in either his gz2000 or hz2000 review, time stamped for your convenience.

I’m not a fanboy of any brand, it but the HZ2000 won every award under the sun and nobody mentioned colour issues either as an owner or a reviewer or a calibrator. I’m happy to call out VT or any other reviewer who now suddenly says there is a colour issue, well why didn’t they say that at time of review?

There just isn’t the substance from all parties that have experienced the HZ2000 to say it’s got an issue with colour. I’m not saying it can’t be improved, of course it can, no TV technology is perfect. I know you didn’t say it, but it’s like a Trumpism, someone says it and suddenly it becomes fact when I don’t think that’s right.

I don’t knock anyone’s opinion, especially if you have owned or experienced the sets being talked about. But it’s important that it’s clear that it’s an opinion not fact, because it’s impossible to compare a TV that isn’t even out yet!

As I said, choose your poison and celebrate the TV’s for how much pleasure they give someone, brilliant, no issue with someone having a different opinion and want to rejoice if they love the TV they have! Great work!:D

If the Sony A900J does it better then brilliant, I’m all for progression and I’ll likely be a prospective owner, but to justify a TV that hasn’t even come out yet v the HZ2000 is something I would question the legitimacy of.

PS. I like VT, and but I talk to and use other calibrators! I like to share the diamond chat! :laugh:

Just wondering with issues such as tinting, DSE, banding, stuttering, lower brightness....is that particularly a ‘ forum members’ view because we’re clearly looking for it or have the sets out there sold well and not had major numbers returned by consumers for these faults? I ask because we go to the stores and everyone is confidently selling their sets as being wonderful and yet we look here and find whole threads talking about issues! It worries me because I don’t know if this is just focusing on very minor issues or they’re real everyday problems for every buyer. I have seen Samsung admit the stutter issue but did that result in them stopping sales of the affected models? Or are complaints so few that they don’t need to?
I think we are in the minority and quite often go looking for issues. But that doesn’t mean they are not there, but just not noticeable or affect the majority. We are certainly the minority.

Had a look through HZ2000 video and couldn't find any mention of it, but had a look in GZ2000 video and he did go into some detail with there:

I’m not a fanboy of any brand, it but the HZ2000 won every award under the sun and nobody mentioned colour issues either as an owner or a reviewer or a calibrator. I’m happy to call out VT or any other reviewer who now suddenly says there is a colour issue, well why didn’t they say that at time of review?

There just isn’t the substance from all parties that have experienced the HZ2000 to say it’s got an issue with colour. I’m not saying it can’t be improved, of course it can, no TV technology is perfect. I know you didn’t say it, but it’s like a Trumpism, someone says it and suddenly it becomes fact when I don’t think that’s right.

I don’t knock anyone’s opinion, especially if you have owned or experienced the sets being talked about. But it’s important that it’s clear that it’s an opinion not fact, because it’s impossible to compare a TV that isn’t even out yet!

As I said, choose your poison and celebrate the TV’s for how much pleasure they give someone, brilliant, no issue with someone having a different opinion and want to rejoice if they love the TV they have! Great work!:D

If the Sony A900J does it better then brilliant, I’m all for progression and I’ll likely be a prospective owner, but to justify a TV that hasn’t even come out yet v the HZ2000 is something I would question the legitimacy of.

PS. I like VT, and but I talk to and use other calibrators! I like to share the diamond chat! :laugh:
But I'm not comparing it to the Sony?
Im not talking about one tv is better than the other or choose your poison etc, I'm just saying that's the first time I ever heard about the panny colour volume when pushing higher nits.
it's not something that I was aware that needed improvement tbh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom