NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

I wonder if the X95J will have increased dimming zones? Doubtful I guess. Still some nice new features and processing.

The OLEDs look very promising, bit disappointed only the Master Series has increased brightness.

Thanks for the info Phil, I am looking forward to the review of the X90J, after this year's XH90 reviews and the tempting statement in one of Sony's videos that there are "several hundred" dimming zones, I am tempted to wait 6 months for one of these getting a price drop and grabbing a 75 inch version.

Hope the new processor brings a good algorithm to control the dimming zones regardless of how many zones there are. This TV is the sweet spot for me price wise when considering size and price, Oled at the size I really want are just completely out of my price range, but hey ho.

As a side note am interested in the brightness the Oled's can achieve, should imagine the advent of mini and micro led tv's are making the OLED makers twitch.

The design of the A90J seems to have split opinion.

I understand entirely concerns about the distance between the feet and practicality. If Sony has been smart it'll be possible to opt for a narrower position.

Personally I think the A90J looks sleek as hell, minimalist and futuristic. On aesthetics alone I'm tempted. If it's a legitimate Panasonic 2000 OLED rival I might be in, depending on pricing.

Disappointing that Sony hasn't got a Mini-LED model in their lineup.

It's business as usual for Sony and nothing to get excited about, except for extra bright Master Series (A90J) OLED model

No QD-OLED, which I think won't be released by any company this year.

Last edited:
I don't understand the enthusiasm regarding Sonys line up. After last years dimming zones downgrade looks like they increased the dimming zones again but they haven't confirmed mini led so what??

I understand entirely concerns about the distance between the feet and practicality. If Sony has been smart it'll be possible to opt for a narrower position.
I posted pics earlier of the different feet configurations.

‘Features to be added via future firmware’.....oh c’mon Sony! After having my fingers burnt by Sony before regard to Dolby Vision on my A1...I simply don’t trust Sony anymore! Looks like a straight choice between Samsung and LG for me then.

I took the 'Features to be added via future firmware' to be related to the PS5 not the A90J as both VRR and ALLM are missing from the PS5 currently. Could be wrong though. We will find out soon enough I guess.

I can’t see any mention of increased dimming zones in their videos?
TV Companies don't usually disclose dimming zones, it's only when reviewers count the zones, then you know. Can't see how Sony old LCD tech can match Samsung new Mini-LED models, unless Sony new XR chip has an ace in the sleeve.

No flagship at smaller screen sizes. :eek: :facepalm:

Looks like Sony wants me to buy a Samsung Neo Qled. :rolleyes:

True.

I completely baffled by it. As far as I can tell 48' OLED have been super successful.
I would pay for a 48' whatever they will be asking for the 55'.

I doubt they will match Mini-LED, but will probably be much cheaper.

You can bet that. I think Samsung's "new" tech will be competing with OLED more than Sony's 2021 LCD range.

For all their lack of dimming zones I think Sony's 9 series will have sold pretty well mainly because they were sensibly priced.

‘Features to be added via future firmware’.....oh c’mon Sony! After having my fingers burnt by Sony before regard to Dolby Vision on my A1...I simply don’t trust Sony anymore! Looks like a straight choice between Samsung and LG for me then.
I also noted in the article at the start of this thread that they say that the XR processor now uses two databases for upscaling etc, rather than the one used in 'last years' X1 Ultimate.
Do Sony think we all wake up every morning and forget yesterday?
They made a massive deal about the dual database processing of the X1 chips, but now all of a sudden they didn't have that feature?
They do this sort of thing a lot these days.
I think it should be more encumbant on those on this forum that officially report on these things, to call them out on such bullcrap.

I also noted in the article at the start of this thread that they say that the XR processor now uses two databases for upscaling etc, rather than the one used in 'last years' X1 Ultimate.
Do Sony think we all wake up every morning and forget yesterday?
They made a massive deal about the dual database processing of the X1 chips, but now all of a sudden they didn't have that feature?
They do this sort of thing a lot these days.
I think it should be more encumbant on those on this forum that officially report on these things, to call them out on such bullcrap.

Keep reinventing the wheel. How much more advanced can they get. Can't see me buying another television for a while although the OLEDs look interesting but I bet they'll be pricey.

I'd be interested in the 55 inch A90J. More than likely best part of £2k. Input lag at 8.5ms also does appeal.

Only putting 2 x hdmi 2.1 ports on this tv's is a bit of a kick in the nu... At the very least they could have made the arc/earc port 1 of the other non hdmi 2.1 ports.

For my next TV I would’ve been tempted by the X95J if it had more zones and was competitively priced.

As it stands I’ll likely get one of the cheaper 65 inch OLEDS, now OLED prices are dropping buying anything else for over £1k seems silly.

As it stands I’ll likely get one of the cheaper 65 inch OLEDS, now OLED prices are dropping buying anything else for over £1k seems silly.
To me, silly would be judging others for spending more on something than you're willing to spend yourself. This is a forum full of av enthusiasts after all.

To me, silly would be judging others for spending more on something than you're willing to spend yourself. This is a forum full of av enthusiasts after all.

You’re not catching my drift, not judging anyone.

I mean spending over £1k on a LCD (like the X95J) would be silly, in comparison to an OLED, which have reduced in price.

The opening prices will be silly might have a look at these in 15 months see what the price drop looks like then. In the meantime i be sticking with the Sony 77 AG9 cracking price on November.

When would we expect the x950j to go on sale in the UK?

Personally I think the A90J looks sleek as hell, minimalist and futuristic. On aesthetics alone I'm tempted. If it's a legitimate Panasonic 2000 OLED rival I might be in, depending on pricing.

they do offer the feet in the middle of the 83 inches...did you miss that?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom