NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

Geesus

I'm wondering if the burn in warranty is even worth it for me. I haven't managed to burn in my previous two OLEDs and I can't see my usage changing with this new set. Might just go with Currys and save £300.

skyform

Weird how AG9 sometimes has more shadow detail, especially in the GOT scene while most of the time A90J has more shadow detail. Is that the new processing at work, trying to cover the artifacts in the shadow details of GOT. I hope it's just the camera or settings because I'm not liking this.

dts197

Distinguished Member
I'm wondering if the burn in warranty is even worth it for me. I haven't managed to burn in my previous two OLEDs and I can't see my usage changing with this new set. Might just go with Currys and save £300.
It's only £140 cover at JL. Small price on a product costing several thousands, plus they'll price match other retailers.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
It's only £140 cover at JL. Small price on a product costing several thousands, plus they'll price match other retailers.
Mind it's £320 for the cover for all tv's over £5000, which no doubt the 83" will be when I buy it :D

IAMBatman

Weird how AG9 sometimes has more shadow detail, especially in the GOT scene while most of the time A90J has more shadow detail. Is that the new processing at work, trying to cover the artifacts in the shadow details of GOT. I hope it's just the camera or settings because I'm not liking this.
Agree with this. Feels like the upscaling on the X1 Ultimate might be slightly better which is no real surprise with a new processor. Will always has some small caveats. Brightness does rock on the A90J though. Feels like an LED with crazy contrast. Does make me feel better upgrading the XH95 now to an 85 inch instead of waiting for the X95J to upgrade though. Still very curious nonetheless!

GHazy

Whilst it looks brighter and a tad more crisp, I personally don't see it being worth 4k more than the 77 A9G. Yes it's better but when the A9G is 2.9k at costco its the best bang for buck by a mile. I know everyone mentions hdmi 2.1 but still think it's pointless unless you game on pc

HariSeldon

GHazy

Erm maybe if you read what I say that might help first :) I said I (as in my opinion), is that 4k more for a small upgrade isn't worth it. The same reason I'm still using a 77 C8 rather than getting a cx, and yes have a cx for gaming/pc and the difference in c8 vs cx is small.

MaKa

Standard Member

v8hawkeman

Exactly, HDMI 2.1 is primarily for the 120hz refresh rate (Visual) and provides no enhancement in sound capabilities over 2.0b ports, so why even go there for eArc??
Having HDMI 2.1 on the eARC is good for me as I can use one HDMI lead from the amp to the TV. All my inputs go to the amp which is set up to have video passthrough and once Denon have the hardware will be updated for 2.1. If using the TV the sound comes back the other way. A single lead solution.

Geesus

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2-way and 3-way stand. I understand the 3-way is only on the 83" model, but which position does the other 2 miss out on?

v8hawkeman

Well. I now have a new option.

With my current setup I wanted a 77” max set to replace my aging 75XD9405, which is why I was thinking of the A80J, G1 or C1. I use a 7.1.2 speaker system and have been limited size wise by the gap between the L/R speakers. The TV is positioned in a corner with a wall on one side and the fire on the other side.

My dear wife has just suggested that I move the right front speaker to the right hand side of the fire giving me more room for the 83” A90J on the left. (I think at some point I showed her a picture on this forum where this was how they had done it). Anyway, I don’t think I should ignore this – especially as it was her idea. :)

If I went down this route then as well as moving the right speaker and Atmos speaker I would also need to remove the centre speaker (KEF IQ6C) and use the TV for the centre speaker (this is an option she really likes). More brownie points :). The fire is a built into the wall log burner and does get used over the winter period.

So thinking of this as an option I’ve come up with the following.

Pros
I get a better and bigger TV
The TV will sit lower, directly on the cabinet (as no centre speaker)
I can use the feet that come with the TV and site it directly on my cabinet (no VESA stand required)
The room will look less cluttered (a comment from the Mrs)

Cons
The right front speaker is not on the side of the TV like the left one (will be about 4’ to the right of it) - We sit around 12' away from the TV
The centre speaker is the TV (this might not be such a downgrade after reading a review of 65AF9)

Do you think this is a good idea? What are your opinions?

IL Cattivo

Having HDMI 2.1 on the eARC is good for me as I can use one HDMI lead from the amp to the TV. All my inputs go to the amp which is set up to have video passthrough and once Denon have the hardware will be updated for 2.1. If using the TV the sound comes back the other way. A single lead solution.
Cool, was never going to be an issue for AMP users where the amp has multiple supported 2.1 inputs. Its the SoundBar owners with multiple Next Gen games consoles that I feel for with this config. :(

Chamberlain

I wouldnt analyze it too much, maybe i missed something but we dont know what settings are being used at all and its not the highest quality exactly.

Geesus

The 83 has a center stand position. The others have soundbar and end stands Im pretty sure
So looking at the spec sheet for the 65". They list two widths - 59.3" and 56.85". I'm trying to work out which of the two stand settings would account for the wider size.

rmelbourne1984

Standard Member
So looking at the spec sheet for the 65". They list two widths - 59.3" and 56.85". I'm trying to work out which of the two stand settings would account for the wider size.
screenshot-www.youtube.com-2021.03.04-10_35_50.png

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern launches the SE180 portable player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021