NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Any word on when to expect expect vrr on the 2021 models? It's getting closer to the end of year date that was stated

I expect a lawsuit against Sony coming early over VRR. :laugh:

Lee33

I expect a lawsuit against Sony coming early over VRR. :laugh:
A Dolby vision game mode would be nice as well if I'm being picky 🤣 but they do seem to be dragging their heels with vrr, I'm on the verge of ordering the A80J this week but Sony reluctance to update their product worries me

Lee33

Quick question regarding the initial setup, if you select TV mode and not sign into Google account can you still use streaming apps suck as Netflix, Disney etc?

SonOfSJ

I can't remember the exact television model numbers, but Sony have form for this. This year, 2021, they have still not delivered on updates that they promised last year, 2020. Anybody buying a Sony product (which will almost certainly include me next year) is strongly advised to regard whatever they buy as being in its final software state. DO NOT keep waiting for Sony to honour their promises about updates. VRR for a Sony television - dream on.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I can't remember the exact television model numbers, but Sony have form for this. This year, 2021, they have still not delivered on updates that they promised last year, 2020. Anybody buying a Sony product (which will almost certainly include me next year) is strongly advised to regard whatever they buy as being in its final software state. DO NOT keep waiting for Sony to honour their promises about updates. VRR for a Sony television - dream on.
Got some questions on that front if I may...

Did the 2020 Sony range already come with the UK Catchup apps when released? Are they available now and if so how long did it take for them to appear via a sw/fw update?

sammy20v

Well I have ordered a 65X95J arriving tomorrow, no idea if it will be a keeper. replaces a 65X9305E so a hard act to follow. If I get a clean screen with no banding or visible grid (seems the 75 and 85 are prone to it) then I will be half way there.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Well I have ordered a 65X95J arriving tomorrow, no idea if it will be a keeper. replaces a 65X9305E so a hard act to follow. If I get a clean screen with no banding or visible grid (seems the 75 and 85 are prone to it) then I will be half way there.

I would be surprised if the upgrade will be noticeable as the 930e is a very good TV. Hope you like the X95J.

sammy20v

I would be surprised if the upgrade will be noticeable as the 930e is a very good TV. Hope you like the X95J.

True however I think in 4 years the processor has improved and things like eArc sending 5.1 back to my AV (possible VRR), quicker smart TV and a 100hz panel make it worth the upgrade my side, Unless of course its terrible in which case it goes back :)

Slade27

Novice Member
I've had mine for 10 days now and im mostly very happy with it. I use it as a PC monitor (RTX 3080) for gaming, Netflix and Plex etc. I came from a 2016 Samsung KS8000. This Sony wipes the floor with my old Sammy even tho the Sammy was a good budget TV.

2 things about the TV that annoy me tho.

1, No VRR... come on Sony WTF. I'm surprised they haven't sorted this one out yet... they are a console manufacture after all!?

2, Is i have to keep changing the input in and out of HDMI 3 signal format "Enhanced to Standard back to Enhanced") as 4K 120hz isn't recognized when i turn on my PC. Every time i start my PC i have to do this or i get weird lines (and random black screens) i the middle of the screen, maybe it will be fixed with an update!? Im sure it doesn't do with a console.
20211120_074606.jpg

Other than that its a an excellent TV, the sound is pretty good too.

sammy20v

I've had mine for 10 days now and im mostly very happy with it. I use it as a PC monitor (RTX 3080) for gaming, Netflix and Plex etc. I came from a 2016 Samsung KS8000. This Sony wipes the floor with my old Sammy even tho the Sammy was a good budget TV.

2 things about the TV that annoy me tho.

1, No VRR... come on Sony WTF. I'm surprised they haven't sorted this one out yet... they are a console manufacture after all!?

2, Is i have to keep changing the input in and out of HDMI 3 signal format "Enhanced to Standard back to Enhanced") as 4K 120hz isn't recognized when i turn on my PC. Every time i start my PC i have to do this or i get weird lines (and random black screens) i the middle of the screen, maybe it will be fixed with an update!? Im sure it doesn't do with a console.
View attachment 1611740

Other than that its a an excellent TV, the sound is pretty good too.

Excellent, I will find out soon. As to Nvidia issues I have read on reddit of others with similar issues with various TV's so I guess this must be driver level or something. There is a bit of kit that is supposed to sort all these types of hand shaking out I think its called HDfury but I have no idea whether it would help in your case.

EDIT - seems that box hasn't been updated for latest features and bandwidth so pretty useless in your case

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member

My XH95 was a definite upgrade over the XE9305 when it comes to HDR but other than that very similar in terms of both being excellent. I suspect the X95J will be extremely similar to the XH95.

Firmware update for A90J all UK catchup apps are now there,BBC Iplayer ITV catchup etc.

Last edited:

Sly Fly

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger in buying an 85X95J as it's in the sales down below £3k and seems the most budget-friendly way for me to get a decent 85" TV.

Just wondering how other people are getting on with theirs and what they think of the X95J?

FusedANUBIS 1

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger in buying an 85X95J as it's in the sales down below £3k and seems the most budget-friendly way for me to get a decent 85" TV.

Just wondering how other people are getting on with theirs and what they think of the X95J?
Is there not a X95J owner’s thread you might get a better answer
Found it

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom