NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

It's so bizarre how we have literally just bought new TVs and still looking for upgrades! Sometimes i hate that im so into tech. :rotfl:
I know, it’s a curse! My wife thinks I’m bonkers! :laugh:

Dilemma!
I intend to upgrade my living room TV this year, however this years new releases have not gone my way.

My current set up is a Sony KD-75XD9405 (5 years old now) sat in the corner of a 15' x 15' room on a small unit. Sound system is a Denon AVC-X4700H with ProAC and KEF speakers running a 7.2.2 configuration. Loads of equipment connected like PS3, PS4 (soon to have PS5), Sky Q, BR Recorder, NAS, Security DVD etc.

We mainly watch films through Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, KODI and a do some gaming (mainly driving games using a driving simulator).

I can't go much bigger with the TV and think that at a push I can go to 77". The TV is in the best position and cannot go onto the wall as 2 of the walls have double doors, one has a large sliding door and the other the fire!

I really like the idea of the A90J however there is no 77". Would I be satisfied with the A80J? Where the TV is positioned it does not get direct sun light on the screen so my thinking is not having the brighter screen is not a deal breaker?
I could go down the LG route with the G1 but think the picture would not be as good as the Sony. I keep reading how the 77" CX has terrible banding issues.
Panasonic don't do a 77".

I've not had an OLED before so would appreciate peoples opinions.

Dilemma!
I intend to upgrade my living room TV this year, however this years new releases have not gone my way.

My current set up is a Sony KD-75XD9405 (5 years old now) sat in the corner of a 15' x 15' room on a small unit. Sound system is a Denon AVC-X4700H with ProAC and KEF speakers running a 7.2.2 configuration. Loads of equipment connected like PS3, PS4 (soon to have PS5), Sky Q, BR Recorder, NAS, Security DVD etc.

We mainly watch films through Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, KODI and a do some gaming (mainly driving games using a driving simulator).

I can't go much bigger with the TV and think that at a push I can go to 77". The TV is in the best position and cannot go onto the wall as 2 of the walls have double doors, one has a large sliding door and the other the fire!

I really like the idea of the A90J however there is no 77". Would I be satisfied with the A80J? Where the TV is positioned it does not get direct sun light on the screen so my thinking is not having the brighter screen is not a deal breaker?
I could go down the LG route with the G1 but think the picture would not be as good as the Sony. I keep reading how the 77" CX has terrible banding issues.
Panasonic don't do a 77".

I've not had an OLED before so would appreciate peoples opinions.

Sony will be better PQ than LG. Assume the A80J will use this years panel which are plenty bright enough. Only caveat is that will need to be cautious with gaming, ie restrict the length of play and reduce luminance . Having said that I don't game so can't really quantify the burn in risk.

Sony will be better PQ than LG. Assume the A80J will use this years panel which are plenty bright enough. Only caveat is that will need to be cautious with gaming, ie restrict the length of play and reduce luminance . Having said that I don't game so can't really quantify the burn in risk.
Thank you. The A80J is looking the most favourable at the moment.

IMO:

A80J will use regular panel that is on LG's C series.

LG G1 will use new brighter panel. G1 >>>> A80J.

A90J will be best TV for 2021.

IMO:

A80J will use regular panel that is on LG's C series.

LG G1 will use new brighter panel. G1 >>>> A80J.

A90J will be best TV for 2021.
I agree A90J will be the best but there is no 77". Does this mean the 77" A80J will have all the same issues as the 77" LG CX? If this is the case I still don't have a decent set to buy.

I agree A90J will be the best but there is no 77". Does this mean the 77" A80J will have all the same issues as the 77" LG CX? If this is the case I still don't have a decent set to buy.
That’s my issue too, no 77” is a pain!

Need Panasonic to pull something out the bag!

What issues on CX? Sony has different processing vs. LG.

That’s my issue too, no 77” is a pain!

Need Panasonic to pull something out the bag!
I'm going with 83" A90J but depends on pricing. If it is too expensive e.g. above $10K, it is difficult to justify as I change my TV every 2 years.

Lottery tickets are on. 83" Sony A90J will look sweet in a new bachelor pad 😂🤞🏻

I'm single so can easily get TVs and tech that I want. LOL!:laugh:

I'm single too but even at 30 I'm still not immune to judgemental looks from my parents 😂. "Christ John what have ye bought now?!" I've never been a great saver 👀😂.

Anyone looking to get A90J, upgrading from AG/AF9?
I will if the owner reviews turn out good and price comes down but not from release, unless Sony have changed their pricing strategy, it will be high to start with.

What's the near black performance like on Sony OLEDs these days? I had a 2015 LG OLED and it was so bad it sent me scurrying back to the realms of LCD :eek:. Was a much bigger distraction for me than the odd bit of blooming on my ZF9

What's the near black performance like on Sony OLEDs these days? I had a 2015 LG OLED and it was so bad it sent me scurrying back to the realms of LCD :eek:. Was a much bigger distraction for me than the odd bit of blooming on my ZF9
For me a lot better than LG, not quite on par with Panasonic. I don’t get flashing or artefacts, DV presentation is darker deliberately but for HD and most content the near blacks are excellent.

Though I had the HZ2000 and they were best in class.

For me a lot better than LG, not quite on par with Panasonic. I don’t get flashing or artefacts, DV presentation is darker deliberately but for HD and most content the near blacks are excellent.

Though I had the HZ2000 and they were best in class.

Hopefully we see a big improvement with the new panels this year. TV led Dolby Vision and a higher peak brightness. That plus HDMI 2.1 and Sony's processing. A90J looks to be the one to beat 😁

Hopefully we see a big improvement with the new panels this year. TV led Dolby Vision and a higher peak brightness. That plus HDMI 2.1 and Sony's processing. A90J looks to be the one to beat 😁
I think that’s right, certainly what I’m hoping to see. I absolutely love my AG9, more than I’ve loved any of my LG’s and close to the HZ2000 but at least the AG9 is a 77” which makes it much more immersive.

I have high hopes for the A90J, just hope the pricing isn’t too crazy and comes down with the market.

I think that’s right, certainly what I’m hoping to see. I absolutely love my AG9, more than I’ve loved any of my LG’s and close to the HZ2000 but at least the AG9 is a 77” which makes it much more immersive.

I have high hopes for the A90J, just hope the pricing isn’t too crazy and comes down with the market.
We will all be in a a90j owners thread soon :D :D
the future is bright

We will all be in a a90j owners thread soon :D :D
the future is bright
Yes James but with great brightness comes great responsibility !

Hence why I’m unlikely to be changing for an LG! :laugh:

Everyone needs to cast their rtings vote on the A90J or the G1 so that they kan be purchased as soon as they're released

Even though Panasonic has the best near black performance, the main difference can only be seen in streaming content. No difference when using blurays. I have tested the Panasonic and own LG and Sony OLEDs. LG has the best HDR performance out of the three and the best DV implementation on the market.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom