NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

vinceHD

Novice Member
Similar comments as with HDR. It loses a tiny bit of the inky richness of OLED. Though what I was viewing yesterday I would have said the Z9J actually might give better off black/shadow detail, with no black crush whatsoever which I certainly had sometimes with my OLED's. Early days as I'm still appraising as I go.
Useful feedback, thanks. Another question: do you see any blooming at all in a dark room with SDR material? How about in titles/subtitles? I know there will be blooming in HDR, but kind of hoping for clean SDR. Thanks.

skyform

From Rtings: Sony X95J Review ( XR-65X95J, XR-75X95J, XR-85X95J)

The Sony X95J has an amazing local dimming feature, the best we've seen on an LED-backlit display. Although there's some blooming with regular content, especially if there are black bars or subtitles, it's really subtle and not very noticeable. There's almost no black crush, and the TV does a really good job preserving fine details in dark scenes. It's still not perfect, though, as zone transitions can be noticeable, although we rarely saw anything with regular content. This is partly due to the relatively limited number of zones on this TV (84, in a 6 x 14 array).

In a side-by-side comparison with the Samsung Q90/Q90T QLED and the Hisense U8G, playing the same content, the Sony X95J has a noticeably better local dimming feature.

Like I said Sony has the best local dimming algorithm, don't be fool by all this new Mini LEDs. They add nothing new, at least for now, just high price and don't listen to akarma he is a troll or a OLED fanboy. I don't even know what's he doing in the LCD forum and bashing every possible LCD for so many years already.

Last edited:

chopples

Distinguished Member
I have no side in this rodeo but rtings states "LED backlit display" and also justifies their reasoning by comparing to 2 FALD models, so I don't think from this paragraph we can state anything either way with regards to the benefits of miniled.

With regards to the wider x95j review, the only real concern for me is regarding the gamut, both Samsung and Sony have gradually both been dropping back on this, 4 years ago we where hitting close to 100%, I know Sony aren't part of the program which offers UHD Premium Certification and its a good job as this set wouldn't be awarded it.

Beyond that it looks a solid review, the dimming seems to be doing a grand drop boosting the contrast lost by the wide angle filter, it is plenty bright and has some decent gaming features (with hopefully the rest coming soon). Judging by the A90J thread the best thing about this set compared to previous years will probably be its upscaling capabilities, the XR processor has been positively received. Also I expect DV from external devices will also have a bit of a boost compared to the older sets as it has the decoders onboard to handle TV led processing.

King Dazzar

Useful feedback, thanks. Another question: do you see any blooming at all in a dark room with SDR material? How about in titles/subtitles? I know there will be blooming in HDR, but kind of hoping for clean SDR. Thanks.
I dont see blooming in HDR full screen content, let alone SDR. You may see some very slightly raised black as it diffuses some bright edges into the bars in letter box content and I've managed to trick the backlight to get a strobe effect whilst gaming in a one off isolated incident. But thats the worst I've managed to get. Blooming in SDR should be a non issue. And all my HDR viewing is with LD set to medium too. For subtitles (which I dont use) you could set LD to high. Not an issue for me anyway.

OC2000

I dont see blooming in HDR full screen content, let alone SDR. You may see some very slightly raised black as it diffuses some bright edges into the bars in letter box content and I've managed to trick the backlight to get a strobe effect whilst gaming in a one off isolated incident. But thats the worst I've managed to get. Blooming in SDR should be a non issue. And all my HDR viewing is with LD set to medium too. For subtitles (which I dont use) you could set LD to high. Not an issue for me anyway.
Can you confirm the HDMI ports on the zj9. There no info on how many HDMI 2.1 ports there are or which ones they are I can reliably find. Thanks

King Dazzar

Can you confirm the HDMI ports on the zj9. There no info on how many HDMI 2.1 ports there are or which ones they are I can reliably find. Thanks
1 x non 2.1
1 x 2.1
1 x 2.1 with eARC
1 x 2.1 8k 60fps (not sure the full difference of this one, but its the only one for 8k)

OC2000

1 x non 2.1
1 x 2.1
1 x 2.1 with eARC
1 x 2.1 8k 60fps (not sure the full difference of this one, but its the only one for 8k)
Thanks. Makes things a lot clearer now.

Prime Time

Good to see that the 65X95J is now in stock with UK retailers.
The price ATM is rather high being the same price currently as the A80J.
However, hopefully there will be sufficient stock available for some decent discounts to appear for Black Friday.
65 version of X95J is showing in stock at John Lewis.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom