NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

It was always in the mix for some
77" A80
65" A90
Real world problems....

Id have to go for 77 over 65 myself.
I hear you there.
I would have preordered if they had the 77 A90 but if going for the A80 I need to know it will be bright enough
It replacing a Zd9 which even back in the day was recording nearly 2000nits and about 640 dimming zones plus its going adjacent to a large window.
Swmbo will have me sending anything back if she can only watch it by closing curtains etc
Ignoring all the measurements I am convinced enough from real world reviews that the new A90 will be brighter all round but only seen 1 A80 review so far which did claim an improvement in brightness but I need more before purchasing!!!
Like I said these are REAL world problems:D

As above was set on the 65A90J but the 77A80J price is very tempting.

A80J could emerge as the dark horse

My updated shopping list:

1. 77 A80J
2. 83 A90J
3. 77 G1
4. 65 JZ1500
5. Used Panasonic DX902
6. Used Sony ZD9
7. Samsung 75 QN90

1. 77 A80J
2. 83 A90J
3. 77 G1
4. 65 JZ1500
5. Used Panasonic DX902
6. Used Sony ZD9
7. Samsung 75 QN90

Agree.....great minds think alike!

full review here:

That is an odd review but I think a lot of my confusion comes from translation issues. He seems to be saying that it is using the old LG panels rather than the Evo being used in the A90J which surprises me as LG don't seem to be manufacturing anything but the Evo panel this year, considering all the LG range feature it.

That is an odd review but I think a lot of my confusion comes from translation issues. He seems to be saying that it is using the old LG panels rather than the Evo being used in the A90J which surprises me as LG don't seem to be manufacturing anything but the Evo panel this year, considering all the LG range feature it.
The C1 that VT reviewed had the old panel in it

think what he means its just the same panels as normal, pixel structure looks the same as ever.
what he didn't show was the spectral response, this would show if it's a new 2021 LGD panel or not.
He later marked it down as a 2021 panel in the table.. but like I say we need to see the spectral response

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 20.11.50.png

1. 77 A80J
2. 83 A90J
3. 77 G1
4. 65 JZ1500
5. Used Panasonic DX902
6. Used Sony ZD9
7. Samsung 75 QN90
Nearly agree :)

1. 77 A80J
2. 83 A90J
3. 77 G1 75 or 85 QN95A
4. 65 JZ1500
5. Used Panasonic DX902
6. Used Sony ZD9
7. Samsung 75 QN90

1. Sony 83" A90J
2. See 1.

Well you are both close;)

1. 83 A90J

kinda doing a full turn here, I have being wanting a 83 a90j all year.. but this last few weeks i have thought...

g1 evo 77

then
c1 maybe evo 77

then
qled 85"

then now
a80 77

the 83 a90j is calling me though... but the price is not :thumbsdow
I have the money for it but it just feels a bit wrong :rotfl:
I think what scares me most is a panel lottery on such a huge screen.

Ok guys time to buy a tv. Had my head set on the A80j but the 90 not only has headphones which are useful but 18 months interest free credit which is even better. Need a tv by mid to late May. Please someone tell me which 55” I should buy.

Ok guys time to buy a tv. Had my head set on the A80j but the 90 not only has headphones which are useful but 18 months interest free credit which is even better. Need a tv by mid to late May. Please someone tell me which 55” I should buy.
a90j 55"
hopefully be more stock by then!

BOX are doing 24mnths interest free on tv, s

Agree.....great minds think alike!

I am still a bit nervous as I still love my Panny GZ OLED despite the micro stutter. Just ran some near black and shadow detail torture tests and it excelled. If Panasonic fixed this issue and did 77, I will be all over it.

I am still a bit nervous as I still love my Panny GZ OLED despite the micro stutter. Just ran some near black and shadow detail torture tests and it excelled. If Panasonic fixed this issue and did 77, I will be all over it.
On the plus side Sony a90j now handles near blacks the same way as pany do, not like LG 2021 with all that noise dithering.
I'd hope the a80j also handles them the same way, and it's all down to the way they use the new XR chip, the XR chip is getting very good reviews and praise and meant to be a good step up on previous sony socs :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom