NEWS: Sonos to add Hi-Res audio support in new OS

It'll be interesting to see how they do the hires or Atmos stuff on the current hardware. Not sure the digital interface has the bandwidth to pass through those formats?

this can only be good news. Despite having found ways to downmix from Apple TV and from Bluray player, I welcome any positive change in supporting the newer audio formats. I wonder how the connectivity will work, though. i use HDMI to connect amp to TV, then Optical to my playbase. all to get 5.1. How would HD Audio work with this setup ? Can an optical lead carry HD Audio ?

I they'd let the engineers annouce this, then let the marketing department launch the upgrade thing (including the bricking option), people would have understood.

this can only be good news. Despite having found ways to downmix from Apple TV and from Bluray player, I welcome any positive change in supporting the newer audio formats. I wonder how the connectivity will work, though. i use HDMI to connect amp to TV, then Optical to my playbase. all to get 5.1. How would HD Audio work with this setup ? Can an optical lead carry HD Audio ?
I think optical can carry up to DD+ and DTS, anything needing more bandwidth like Atmos needs hdmi. It will be streaming services offering music high res audio that will have driven Sonos and most likely Atmos for both music and movies. I’d imagine there are new Playbar/Playbase models due out soon with hdmi arc possibly earc and Atmos speakers too.

I'm hoping for a new amp with a centre channel but a new Playbar would be good.

I hope the Sonos OS upgrade to support hi-res audio has nothing to do with lossy MQA - they could very easily be tempted by it given that MQA's lossy compression saves network bandwidth & they can still claim they're using 'hi-res'.

So does mean Sonos we’ll stream in 24/192kHz soon?

Last edited:
Er, Sonos already does, Helix HiFi - 16bit/44.1kHz is bog standard CD-res!

Hi-res has a bit depth of 24bit or a sample rate above 48kHz if the bit depth is 16bit.

Er, Sonos already does, Helix HiFi - 16bit/44.1kHz is bog standard CD-res!

Hi-res has a bit depth of 24bit or a sample rate above 48kHz if the bit depth is 16bit.
I meant 24/192kHz lossless! One can read wrong you know....

Now that you've edited your post to change it to a proper hi-res value, you've made us both look stupid :D

Oh the irony. If it it’s some who is stupid it’s me not you. But I see your point. We both have updated our self to high resolution. 😁.

I only use Spotify Premium. They stream in lossy. I must admit though cd sounds better though. But Spotify is more then good enough for me. Perhaps I’m not an audiophile then🤫. If it’s true Sonos is going to stream in 24bit then surely Spotify must follow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom