NEWS: Sonos introduces Beam Gen 2 soundbar with Dolby Atmos

low-def.

Hmmm interesting 🤔

keithwiggins

faux , dolby atmos not a fan and for that kind of price you can purchase bars with real up ward firing drivers.

Joe C

DTS at last!

EDIT: And coming to the existing stuff! This makes things so much easier in my lounge

k-spin

DTS? At last! I'd given up on Sonos ever including DTS support on any of their kit. Combined with my LG OLED not supporting it either I was looking at other options. This means I can re-purpose some existing Play:1s for rear speakers and save a bit of cash :)

Joe C

Yeah, the irony of Sonos introducing DTS as TV manufacturers start dropping it isn’t lost on me

k-spin

Actually, having thought about it I'm not sure this will work with my LG C1? The Beam's only got a single HDMI connection so that needs to go to the TV. So if the TV won't pass DTS from my Blu-ray player then I'm still out of luck?

Joe C

Actually, having thought about it I'm not sure this will work with my LG C1? The Beam's only got a single HDMI connection so that needs to go to the TV. So if the TV won't pass DTS from my Blu-ray player then I'm still out of luck?

Indeed - sorry!

k-spin

Hmmm. Would the fact that the 2nd generation Beam has eArc help me here?

My signal chain would be:

Sony UBP-X800M2 > LG C1 OLED > Sonos Beam

I can set the Sony to output PCM but, as far as I understand it, this would end up as 2.0 PCM on the 1st generation Beam as Arc didn't have the bandwidth for uncompressed 5.1 PCM. eArc apparently does? So would I be able to get 5.1 PCM through to the 2nd generation Beam and be able to enjoy surround sound?

chopples

Distinguished Member

Hi mate, whilst an extra purchase isn't ideal you could plug your bluray player into this, It should then (once the Sonos has been updated) send the DTS codecs to its EARC port and forward the image to your TV, everything else (TV apps and other tv connected hdmi devices) should continue to work as before

iatacs19

Standard Member
Hi mate, whilst an extra purchase isn't ideal you could plug your bluray player into this, It should then (once the Sonos has been updated) send the DTS codecs to its EARC port and forward the image to your TV, everything else (TV apps and other tv connected hdmi devices) should continue to work as before

But the Beam2 only has 1 HDMI port...

mike7

Distinguished Member
I wonder if this is a simple way of getting Atmos working in a room with a vaulted ceiling ?
A touch of irony here I suspect.

I'm a satisfied owner of the current Sonos Beam. It complements my TV watching and music streaming needs very well. It has a nice warm sound without being 'showy' and adds some illusion of depth to surround sound transmissions. But, and its a big but, I am under no pretence that it matches the performance of the 5.1 system it replaced. I do not kid myself that a box 54cms wide and containing 5 small forward pointing speakers and sideways passive radiators can create accurate sounds coming from all corners of my living room. Sorry, but its just not possible. By tweaking the software the Beam 2 also promises to bring sound from the ceiling with pretty much the same physical set-up to accommodate Atmos signals.

Its true that these devices, and similar makes, can detect the nature of the signal fed to them, be it stereo, variations of Dolby sound or DTS but all that happens after that is that the software introduces a few phase shifting tricks to create minute timed delays to the various outputs. The illusion of surround sound might be changed, but it is still an illusion. The performance is also very dependent on the shape of the room.

One drawback with Sonos products is that the only way you can 'tune' the performance of the unit in your room is by use of an App on an iPhone. Android users are not currently accommodated. Apart from a couple of pre-sets which alter the overall aspect of the sound there is no means of balancing the speakers manually or changing the bass and treble levels on the unit. In fact Sonos do not provide a remote control, you are obliged to use your phone (Apple or Android) or by speech, via Alexa or whatever service you use to control the inputs and volume.

It's a well made and nice looking unit and has all the elements of a quality product, but its not a magic box, in spite of the price.

Last edited:

wwwebber

A touch of irony here I suspect.

I'm a satisfied owner of the current Sonos Beam. It complements my TV watching and music streaming needs very well. It has a nice warm sound without being 'showy' and adds some illusion of depth to surround sound transmissions. But, and its a big but, I am under no pretence that it matches the performance of the 5.1 system it replaced. I do not kid myself that a box 54cms wide and containing 5 small forward pointing speakers and sideways passive radiators can create accurate sounds coming from all corners of my living room. Sorry, but its just not possible. By tweaking the software the Beam 2 also promises to bring sound from the ceiling with pretty much the same physical set-up to accommodate Atmos signals.

Its true that these devices, and similar makes, can detect the nature of the signal fed to them, be it stereo, variations of Dolby sound or DTS but all that happens after that is that the software introduces a few phase shifting tricks to create minute timed delays to the various outputs. The illusion of surround sound might be changed, but it is still an illusion. The performance is also very dependent on the shape of the room.

One drawback with Sonos products is that the only way you can 'tune' the performance of the unit in your room is by use of an App on an iPhone. Android users are not currently accommodated. Apart from a couple pre-sets which alter the overall aspect of the sound there is no means of balancing the speakers manually or changing the bass and treble levels on the unit. In fact Sonos do not provide a remote control, you are obliged to use your phone (Apple or Android) or by speech, via Alexa or whatever service you use to control the inputs and volume.

It's a well made and nice looking unit and has all the elements of a quality product, but its not a magic box, in spite of the price.
No irony - I'm serious. I was looking into getting this in a Sonos pack with subwoofer, rears etc for use in my loft room. However, the cost looks prohibitive as does the requirement to use an iPhone to tune it which is very disappointing in that it only supports a quarter of the phone market. Oh well, their loss. Back to the drawing board.

mike7

Distinguished Member
There are some relatively inexpensive (about £100 each) Symphonisk rear speakers from IKEA which are jointly developed by the two companies to be used in conjunction with the Sonos Beam and its bigger brother.

Last edited:

Tim2049

No irony - I'm serious. I was looking into getting this in a Sonos pack with subwoofer, rears etc for use in my loft room. However, the cost looks prohibitive as does the requirement to use an iPhone to tune it which is very disappointing in that it only supports a quarter of the phone market. Oh well, their loss. Back to the drawing board.
To poo-poo such a fantastic setup over a relatively trite tuning feature seems pretty crazy to me.

wwwebber

To poo-poo such a fantastic setup over a relatively trite tuning feature seems pretty crazy
It's not trite when I actually need the tuning for my loft room plus if you read my post properly you will see this was not my only issue.

KWB1

No hi - res support 😫

Joe C

KWB1

Im sure its maxes out at 48 KHz?

Joe C

Im sure its maxes out at 48 KHz?

Maybe it is - I know I’d have had to recode any hi-res track I have.

It’s pointless on a Sonos anyway

mike7

Distinguished Member
To poo-poo such a fantastic setup over a relatively trite tuning feature seems pretty crazy to me.
If you are buying the basic Beam plus Sonos rear speakers and a matching sub you are spending (with the current model) over £1500. To limit the fine tuning to iPhone users only seems a bit unfair. With my previously owned Denon Amp set-up you had the balancing tech built in and they provided a microphone to do the job.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar