Quantcast

NEWS: Sonos Arc soundbar launches with Dolby Atmos support

keithwiggins

Its about time the playbar was very long in the tooth , given the ever increasing competition in the market place. not keen on aesthetics compared to playbar but assume it will deliver on the audio front.

flashf1

An FYI for Apple TV 4K users...

I was very interested in this and expected to preorder straight away, however being an Apple TV 4K user (80% of my activity) and realizing that you cannot get Atmos has made me pause. My TV was bought new in April 2018 (Sony 65AF8, almost €4000) and does not have eARC, so although I could get compressed Dolby digital+ Atmos from the TVs inbuilt apps, I cannot get it through ARC with Apple TV, and I have 100's of movies, with a huge amount now having Atmos, very disappointing!

On a side note, and I stand to be corrected; even if I did have a tv with eARC and was able to get Atmos, this would be done by selecting the "change audio" setting which would play multichannel PCM when not playing Atmos, meaning that all DD 5.1 content would be play in stereo pcm though the Sonos arc..? If this is the case then you would have to constantly go into the settings to toggle that switch in the Apple TV settings

petekv32

flashf1, sorry a bit confused by your post! Prob cos it’s early in the morning! From what you seem to say this is about your TV, nothing to do with the soundbar?
is it that your Apple TV is an app on the Sony and hence doesn’t output in atmos?
if not can’t you plug the Apple TV into the sondbar? I wish they hadn’t called it arc as this is already a function of a tv and is going to start confusion, probably already has! Not sure how many hdmi the soundbar has, or its 4K pass through spec.
cheers

Evinger

An FYI for Apple TV 4K users...
On a side note, and I stand to be corrected; even if I did have a tv with eARC and was able to get Atmos, this would be done by selecting the "change audio" setting which would play multichannel PCM when not playing Atmos, meaning that all DD 5.1 content would be play in stereo pcm though the Sonos arc..? If this is the case then you would have to constantly go into the settings to toggle that switch in the Apple TV settings
if not can’t you plug the Apple TV into the sondbar? I wish they hadn’t called it arc as this is already a function of a tv and is going to start confusion, probably already has! Not sure how many hdmi the soundbar has, or its 4K pass through spec.
cheers
Through the "Sonos" link on the first page you can get to the manual, which should reveal all the inputs & outputs. I tried opening it in Firefox, but no joy. 🤷‍♂️

flashf1

flashf1, sorry a bit confused by your post! Prob cos it’s early in the morning! From what you seem to say this is about your TV, nothing to do with the soundbar?
is it that your Apple TV is an app on the Sony and hence doesn’t output in atmos?
cheers
Single eARC hdmi input, that's it. The problem is that Apple TV (hardware) will not deliver Atmos over ARC, which will affect a LOT of people, basically anyone with a TV over 2 years old.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
None of my televisions support ARC so I'm even more stuffed :D The only thing I'll be able to to do is connect it to my bluray player and use it for watching DVDs etc.

petekv32

deleted on second thought!

Evinger

None of my televisions support ARC so I'm even more stuffed :D The only thing I'll be able to to do is connect it to my bluray player and use it for watching DVDs etc.
Surely though there are other soundbars that are more flexible? When it comes to Airplay2, for instance, if someone already has an ATV 4K, for instance, you have Airplay there to feed to a Soundbar.
I still wonder about any of these Soundbar's true ability to produce the Atmos experience. Even with dedicated Atmos speakers upfiring, it is not as effective as speakers mounted high on the walls or in the Ceiling, then here you have something upfiring from below the level of the TV. Better than not at all, but with some of the prices these Soundbars have, one begins to wonder if the money is worth it (Unless of course the room set up only allows for a Soundbar & nothing more).

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Surely though there are other soundbars that are more flexible? When it comes to Airplay2, for instance, if someone already has an ATV 4K, for instance, you have Airplay there to feed to a Soundbar.
I still wonder about any of these Soundbar's true ability to produce the Atmos experience. Even with dedicated Atmos speakers upfiring, it is not as effective as speakers mounted high on the walls or in the Ceiling, then here you have something upfiring from below the level of the TV. Better than not at all, but with some of the prices these Soundbars have, one begins to wonder if the money is worth it (Unless of course the room set up only allows for a Soundbar & nothing more).
I do agree with you but I have a lot of other Sonos speakers in the house and I also have a couple of trade-up discounts to spend if I decide to go this way :)

flashf1

A discussion I personally don't want to enter - my post was just an FYI to Apple TV owners with ARC only enabled TVs considering this new soundbar.

Joe C

Single eARC hdmi input, that's it. The problem is that Apple TV (hardware) will not deliver Atmos over ARC, which will affect a LOT of people, basically anyone with a TV over 2 years old.
Is that true? I’m sure it worked when I had my ATV plugged directly into my previous C8. Have moved everything to be plugged into my amp now, but can test with my C9 later

flashf1

Is that true? I’m sure it worked when I had my ATV plugged directly into my previous C8. Have moved everything to be plugged into my amp now, but can test with my C9 later
Won't work with C8 as ARC only, but will work with C9 as has eARC.

Beagle64

Standard Member
I think the new Soundbar looks good so long as you’re content with Atmos “lite”. Sonos know their target market quite well and most looking at this (me included) won’t mind too much. The omission of DTS is less of an issue now although I’d still like it even though most of my movies are streamed now. I’ve been looking at a new TV for a while now and this has prompted me to concentrate on eARC equipped sets. Hopefully we’ll see a review on this site soon!

flashf1

I think the new Soundbar looks good so long as you’re content with Atmos “lite”. Sonos know their target market quite well and most looking at this (me included) won’t mind too much. The omission of DTS is less of an issue now although I’d still like it even though most of my movies are streamed now. I’ve been looking at a new TV for a while now and this has prompted me to concentrate on eARC equipped sets. Hopefully we’ll see a review on this site soon!
It's not really Atmos "Lite", it can handle Dolby Digital True HD and full fat ATMOS through eARC, so will happily play your Blu-rays, and If you add the SUB & surrounds you will get 5.1.2. You wont get DTS, DTS.X or DTS HD Master Audio though

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The omission of support for the DTS codecs is inexcusable, in my opinion. Many BR discs are encoded in DTS-MA, so how are customers supposed to enjoy them? In stereo, perhaps, or not at all? A good enough reason to avoid Sonos, in my book. Pathetic.

Clem

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I’m not even interested in Atmos lite to be hones. All I need is 5.1 and then I don’t want it all the time. I find watching sports for example with the AV system on very annoying and distracting.

Joe C

Won't work with C8 as ARC only, but will work with C9 as has eARC.
I’m convinced this is incorrect - the ATV4K doesn’t pass full fat Atmos, only over DD+ - meaning eARC is irrelevant - and my C8 definitely passed that. Before I rewired everything I had Sky Q and my ATV4K plugged directly into the TV and both passed Atmos over DD+ fine.

Just checked on my C9, which is connected by ARC to my amp (as the latter doesn’t support eARC) and its passing Atmos fine over DD+

Rwk2000

Novice Member
Noob question here.
So TV doesn't support eARC, if I plugged Sonos ARC into an external device (Apple 4k / Ndivia Shield etc...) would this play Atmos sound through the external device and send picture to the TV.
I have an LG B6 so think I would then also loose Dolby Vision if on Netflix.

Really don't want to have to buy a new TV.

flashf1

I’m convinced this is incorrect - the ATV4K doesn’t pass full fat Atmos, only over DD+ - meaning eARC is irrelevant - and my C8 definitely passed that. Before I rewired everything I had Sky Q and my ATV4K plugged directly into the TV and both passed Atmos over DD+ fine.

Just checked on my C9, which is connected by ARC to my amp (as the latter doesn’t support eARC) and its passing Atmos fine over DD+
Apple TV doesn't use dolby Digital+ to transmit Atmos in the same way as your TV's in built apps, it uses high bandwidth MAT which does not work over ARC.

Joe C

Apple TV doesn't use dolby Digital+ to transmit Atmos in the same way as your TV's in built apps, it uses high bandwidth MAT which does not work over ARC.
Then explain why I'm getting Atmos then? I have the amp set to direct, so it's not upmixing

flashf1

Noob question here.
So TV doesn't support eARC, if I plugged Sonos ARC into an external device (Apple 4k / Ndivia Shield etc...) would this play Atmos sound through the external device and send picture to the TV.
I have an LG B6 so think I would then also loose Dolby Vision if on Netflix.

Really don't want to have to buy a new TV.
The Sonos ARC must be connected directly to your TVs ARC input. The Sonos only has a single HDMI eARC, no other inputs. Your other external devices are then plugged into your tvs remaining HDMI inputs. You will get atmos sound from your TVs inbuilt app, NOT the Apple TV, and i'm not sure about Ndivia shield

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded