NEWS: Sky unveils next tranche of HDR content

Britannia - S2
Cobra - S2
Bulletproof - New Series
Save Me Too
Bad Wolf’s A Discovery of Witches
Brassic 2

rather poor and short list!

Seems like they’re slowly rolling out the shows though surprised they’re not giving early HDR treatment to big hitters like Chernobyl or Gangs Of London but hopefully some of the new originals like The Third Day get the HDR treatment from day one.

Britannia - S2
Cobra - S2
Bulletproof - New Series
Save Me Too
Bad Wolf’s A Discovery of Witches
Brassic 2

rather poor and short list!

Suspect that got be careful rolling out big stuff while many of their customers unable to view it. Even if customers express interest in the £50 payment to switch boxes that isn’t available immediately, they have tobe notified when that option becomes available.

Cheers,

Nigel

Don't know how true this is,but apparently sky will be charging £6 per month for HDR content....i really hope this is not the case but its sky so you never know!!

They want to charge V1 owners £50 to get an HDR capable box and then another £6 a month on top for the content? That better not be true, or they can keep it!

It‘s Sky though, so nothing would surprise me, the charge extra for 4k don’t they? They charged £10 just to record when Sky+ came out, then extra for HD, so I could definitely see it happening. I really hope not though.

They want to charge V1 owners £50 to get an HDR capable box and then another £6 a month on top for the content? That better not be true, or they can keep it!

It‘s Sky though, so nothing would surprise me, the charge extra for 4k don’t they? They charged £10 just to record when Sky+ came out, then extra for HD, so I could definitely see it happening. I really hope not though.

There has been no suggestion as yet of a further charge for HDR - and doubt they would, as it really is a feature of the UHD bolt on like Atmos is.

There has been no suggestion as yet of a further charge for HDR - and doubt they would, as it really is a feature of the UHD bolt on like Atmos is.
The £6 figure comes from an article in the Express. There's no other sources for it yet and Sky haven't even hinted at an HDR charge

The £6 figure comes from an article in the Express. There's no other sources for it yet and Sky haven't even hinted at an HDR charge

Do you have a link to the article in question? I wonder if they’re just referring to the existing UHD add on charge? Again I would be surprised if there is a HDR charge given its more likely they would just add HLG to the existing UHD files as they appear to be doing now.

Nothing says it worse than "hey, pay us extra now, and we'll deliver much later, maybe, we're Sky after all."

Saying that, I've not got Sky installed yet. A week to go, but I'd like all the HDR there is please, just hope the quality stays unlike HD, which started off amazing then, dropped like an anvil after 12 months or so. Sky is not your friend, but I'd rather them than have to deal with Virgin's V6 utter pants box

If they'd gone with a full HDR rollout before the 1m or more customers with v1 boxes had the opportunity to swap them, there would be a lot of very annoyed customers, all at once. Especially if they'd launch HDR sports at the same time...

Nothing says it worse than "hey, pay us extra now, and we'll deliver much later, maybe, we're Sky after all."

Saying that, I've not got Sky installed yet. A week to go, but I'd like all the HDR there is please, just hope the quality stays unlike HD, which started off amazing then, dropped like an anvil after 12 months or so. Sky is not your friend, but I'd rather them than have to deal with Virgin's V6 utter pants box
Currently the HDR/HLG material is superb, if obviously still lacking in quantity... Star Wars via the Disney app on Sky Q is stunning

Currently the HDR/HLG material is superb, if obviously still lacking in quantity... Star Wars via the Disney app on Sky Q is stunning

Yep some of the HDR10 material via Sky’s Disney app all looks fabulous. I watched Cobra on UHD HDR and though it’s not a visually opulent show there are some moments throughout where the scenes really do pop.

I have an LGB8 OLED and find the HDR picture via the TV’s apps much superior to the sky q box. Find myself getting less and less use out of Sky and with the HDR not particularly delivering compared to other sources, it doesn’t really stack up as a proposition. Might just do sport through the now tv app (take the picture quality hit there) but save £80 quid a month.

£80?!

As there's already HDR content on Sky, where does the £6 fee come into it? I'm waiting for news on upgrading my Q box.

Yea the £6 p/m charge is for UHD but easy enough to negotiate discounts with Sky. I re-signed recently and got the UHD add-on for £1 p/m.

I'm fed up with Sky's continual price hikes for not very much new content so I have just quit my contract after 21 years. The HDR issue and not having a compatible box put me over the edge! I can get more HDR content through Rakuten and Netflix for less than my monthly movies sub and I'll watch my footie through NOW TV with a £33 monthly sub saving me about £60 a month. Sky is just not a viable cost model any more.

I'm fed up with Sky's continual price hikes for not very much new content so I have just quit my contract after 21 years. The HDR issue and not having a compatible box put me over the edge! I can get more HDR content through Rakuten and Netflix for less than my monthly movies sub and I'll watch my footie through NOW TV with a £33 monthly sub saving me about £60 a month. Sky is just not a viable cost model any more.
Unfortunately it’s still the best, nothing comes close to providing what Sky provides especially with the full package now also linked to Netflix/Disney etc..

I'm not interest in anything I've seen listed so far. I've already watched Chernobyl twice and would again if hdr. Hopefully stuff I'm interested in will start to surface, but I'm getting new box tomorrow and if it's hdr capable you can be sure no more hdr stuff will be released for ages :laugh:.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom