NEWS: Sky TV offers cheaper Sky Q box with updated features

Will the older 2TB box or this new box be HDR capable?
This is what’s missing and hope Sky brings it to market soon.

Just out of mild curiosity how many people actually record things now? Can't say I've actively recorded anything in anger (as opposed to the box auto recording a series when I watch one of them) in a few years. If there's anything I miss I watch it on catch up now and I don't think I've been into the recorded area of my Q box more than once since I've had it (2 years now).

Also never understood the use of recording 6 channels at the same time either. Who can find 6 things on at the same time they want to watch? Or has time to watch that much (other than Cas but he's a freak ;))

G

My 1tb box gets installed today so il let you know if it’s HDR capable but I don’t think so as I couldn’t see anything mentioned, I initially thought it was the new hdr box but when I looked into it I could see hdr mentioned anywhere so I doubt it.

My first time back with sky for years but I’m already considering cancelling it, partly because of the HDR and part due to the extra cost of BT sports, never knew it would be as much as £30 a month to add to sky. Both of these reasons are my own fault for doing more research before placing my order but at least I have the cooling off period to make my mind up

My 18 month sky contract ends in the new year. I’ll probably go down to the cheaper box then. I don’t have 4k so if it’s HD only, that won’t influence my decision.

I’ve given up trying to make sense of these Sky announcements. Their website doesn’t appear to make any mention if this new box unless it’s hidden away somewhere, it’s still saying a 2Tb box is required for UHD. Does anyone have a link?
I’ll add this to the other things that have never happened like HDR, Sky without a dish, Now tv at 1080p for now. I don’t know what they hope to achieve by announcing things that don’t exist.

If you go through the sign up page to be a new customer, then on the equipment selection screen it only lists 1TB boxes (which you'd presume were the new ones). 2TB doesn't even seem to be an optional extra for new customers.

I have just been waiting for UHD to be output from their minibox - not just the main box. That would have been more useful.

.........I don’t know what they hope to achieve by announcing things that don’t exist.

Sky have always been brilliant at marketing by confusion.

Their record of ASA pulled ads is quite large, yet they continue the strategy.

If you go through the sign up page to be a new customer, then on the equipment selection screen it only lists 1TB boxes (which you'd presume were the new ones). 2TB doesn't even seem to be an optional extra for new customers.
Thats really odd. I’m seeing the same thing. No 2TB option. I’ve no idea what they’re doing.

So with the 2TB box you have to pay £50 per month before all the channels are added?

I've had the original 1TB box 3 years and there's no monthly cost for that? In fact, for the 1st 12 months I had every channel going for jsut £30 per month with an initial deal.

Just had my sky q installed, can confirm the new 1tb is UHD but doesn’t seem to have HDR added

I’m thinking at the moment that it will be getting cancelled, it looks like there’s nothing broadcast in UHD (maybe football?) but all the sky cinema etc seems to be HD and UHD is download only. That takes me to the next problem, I can only connect using my routers 2.4GHz network because its not sky broadband, so the speed is only 15Mbs instead of 70Mbs so downloads are taking to long. Not overly impressed so far. Can anyone confirm if the lack of 5GHz support for non Sky broadband is the same for the other boxes?

Quite likely the box does support HDR, just isn't enabled yet.
Yeah I had thought that might be the case, but there’s no mention of HDR anywhere on it so wasn’t sure

So does this mean I can now have two 4K capable boxes as I'm still using Sky+ HD with multi screen.

I’m thinking at the moment that it will be getting cancelled, it looks like there’s nothing broadcast in UHD (maybe football?) but all the sky cinema etc seems to be HD and UHD is download only. That takes me to the next problem, I can only connect using my routers 2.4GHz network because its not sky broadband, so the speed is only 15Mbs instead of 70Mbs so downloads are taking to long. Not overly impressed so far. Can anyone confirm if the lack of 5GHz support for non Sky broadband is the same for the other boxes?
Sport is broadcast in UHD. Everything else is download only. I can’t be absolutely sure about the 5ghz lock out as I’m connected via ethernet to BT broadband and don’t want to disconnect it to test, but I’m 99.9% sure it is 2.4 ghz only.

My 18 month sky contract ends in the new year. I’ll probably go down to the cheaper box then. I don’t have 4k so if it’s HD only, that won’t influence my decision.

wait what? the founder of avforums doesn't have 4k! that's surprising! :)

So with the 2TB box you have to pay £50 per month before all the channels are added?

I've had the original 1TB box 3 years and there's no monthly cost for that? In fact, for the 1st 12 months I had every channel going for jsut £30 per month with an initial deal.
Yet another example of Sky utterly confusing their customers. I pay nothing monthly for my 2TB box, but comfortably exceed £50 a month for the packages. Is that what they mean?
Just for fun I started a new order and selected every option as a new customer bringing the subscription to £57.50, but it still didn’t unlock a 2TB option, but in the FAQs it clearly, and now falsely by all accounts, says you need a 2TB box for UHD. Perhaps the 2TB is offered at the checkout stage which haven't clicked through to??
As I said earlier I don't have the faintest idea what they are doing. I have to wonder if they know.

I'd sooner have the entertainment and Sky Cinema UHD content available through On Demand.

Yet another example of Sky utterly confusing their customers. I pay nothing monthly for my 2TB box, but comfortably exceed £50 a month for the packages. Is that what they mean?
Dunno, it was this part of the article that's confused me:

In bringing the price down to half the monthly £50 of the current 2TB box, Sky has given consumers a conundrum in having to juggle the additional recording options against the reduction in storage space. 1TB allows 500 hours of programme space compared to 1000 hours with the 2TB version.

Yeah thats what I thought, i was hoping there would some other uhd broadcast channels. I have sorted my slow network speeds on the 2.4ghz network, i had been messing about with settings a while back when i was trying to get my sonos setup working, changing the channel on the 2.4ghz network to auto has sorted out that issue although I would prefer it was on the 5GHz network.

I'd sooner have the entertainment and Sky Cinema UHD content available through On Demand.
I get that for most on demand is fine but there are times when I will have poor or no WiFi so having UHD broadcast would be good for me

I get that for most on demand is fine but there are times when I will have poor or no WiFi so having UHD broadcast would be good for me
You could always queue downloads last thing at night. Even at a snails pace they would be done by the next morning assuming wifi doesn’t fail entirely.
I’m guessing an Ethernet cable is not practical.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom