NEWS: Sky subscriber numbers increases

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
    2. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,667
      Without a breakdown of categories and territories the claimed increase is pretty much meaningless.
      The numbers for the TV side of things would be very interesting.
      For me, the prices of individual packs is more than acceptable. £11 a month for the cinema pack, £28 for all you can watch sport for example, but, and it’s a huge but, you can’t have those as a stand alone. By the time all the other elements are added the price becomes eye watering!
      I recently renegotiated and am still looking at £80 a month, due to go back to over £90 a month when the contract ends.
      Sport is the sole reason I’m still a subscriber. I would really miss it. Everything else is easily replaced elsewhere.

3. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +353
      If this is true them I'm shocked. I thought more and more people were leaving Sky these days. After 18 years of being a Sky customer I cancelled last year and haven't missed it one bit. Don't know why I didn't cancel ages ago.

4. Flynch191

Flynch191
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      That's a crazy price. The ppl I know with sky sports pay almost half of what you're paying. They play the cancel game with sky and refuse to pay the full amount. Eventually the price seems to come down.
      Mine was increasing every year although I always had a 50% price reduction. In the end I cancelled the lot. I do miss sky tv system compared to my freesat humax box system but I find myself watching less crap and more streaming etc. I'm now saving £600 a year or more not being a sky customer. I'm pretty happy with that. A fast stable Internet connection is my number one priority now a days.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Paying £35 monthly including F1.
      That's my limit.

I nearly cancelled earlier this year but they realised I was paying for Sport HD and Entertainment HD which they told me was now included in the price.

I don't have Sports or Movies but plenty of people I know have both and are paying less than me.

6. IronSoldier

IronSoldier

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +217
      Another meaningless bit of faff.

Growing population with a larger coverage than before with a wider range of services to classify people as customers? What next? Phone network provider average mobile network speed increases with the launch of their 5G network ;) I'm sure half of these customers will be double/triple or more sign ups to NowTV using new customer offers or vouchers :lesson:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Angry Angry x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    7. encaser

encaser
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,828
      Hahah! Game of Thrones maybe but Chernobyl? The latter received a lot of disdain from those who started to watch it and turned off due to dodgy accents and thus I doubt made people from water cooler reviews buy Sky for this harrowing drama.
      Sky, like most, are dubious at billing and need reviewing - that and their terrible 4+ minute raised volume ads.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,424
      There were no dodgy accents in Chernobyl :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Wow Wow x 1
      • List
    9. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +453
      Dodgy, no. Geographically (and intentionally) incorrect yes.

Anyway we binned off Sky a few months ago. We played the "I'd like to cancel call my bluff" game but whereas in previous years they'd called back with an acceptable offer this year they didn't. I think it might be down to the fact we still had a Sky HD box and they're trying to get rid of those customers to shift people on to Q. Surprised they didn't try that tack with us though.

We've been using cheap Now TV passes and, apart from live pause, we're not missing paying for Sky. Apart from the occasionally sub-par 720p video. Oh, and having a proper EPG. But apart from that, what has Sky ever done for us...?!

10. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +628
      Just had sky q installed and I'm very disappointed. Without movies or sport there so little 4k content, and what's there is sky's own trashy productions. The 4k is barely a step up from hd (pretty sure most of it is just upscale 1080i content) , and considering you have to download it, it should be superior to Netflix and amazons bit rates.
      No hdr in Netflix no 4k on YouTube, so renders the apps pointless too.

11. luke80

luke80

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Switched from virgin to sky purely based on their offer being better at the time. We'll see what both offer in another 10 months...

12. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,451
      I have to say, for me, and our household, I’ve considered other options, but Q is a slick and convenient system.

You can assemble most of it elsewhere, but you get what you pay for in terms of convenience and content.

13. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +158
      I have hust received an email from Sky saying my subscription is going up next month to £98, well they can keep it, there is no way I'm paying an extra £33 for what I get. count me as one of the leavers unless they can come up with a better deal.

14. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,667
      Enhanced for UHD is the usual clue that it’s upscaled 1080. The thing I like about 4K content, upscaled or not, is that it is a much bigger file size than a 1080 download so avoids a lot of the horrible macro blocking.
      I agree the apps are pointless. Perhaps they are convenient for some, but functionally they are miles off the pace.
      Sky are a long, long way from the one box solution I thought may be coming. If anything they have gone backwards by standing still while every other provider has made progress.
      As I said earlier, if it wasn’t for sport I’d be gone.

15. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,667
      That sounds like it’s probably list price, so I would hope you’d get a discount by haggling and locking yourself in to a new contract. £33 increase must leave a bad taste in your mouth and is just ridiculous.

16. DKI

DKI

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      I recently just got my bill dropped and renewed my contract with sky and it included the Netflix for cheaper then what I as paying with Netflix on top.

I am keeping an eye on what is coming out in terms of streaming services and the recent 4K sky on demand content heading to virgin when my contract comes to an end I will see what the state of streaming and TV is.

Only one thing I would love to do with with my sky package is scrap that dam Entertainment pack being forced as the must have as a base pack which is mostly crap SD channels. If I could I would scrap it and just have the HD channels only.

17. Tase

Tase

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      I was paying the thick end of £90 for Sky Q and the Entertainment and full Sports pack at the start of the year but I saw a tweet from Sky on my timeline regarding an absolute bargain package....a quick call and 5 minutes later I had the full package of Sports and everything else including all the Movie channels, which I didn’t previously subscribe to for the princely sum of £42pm guaranteed for 18 months.
      No haggling on my part just asked whether existing customers could avail of the offer and they said yes!
      Don’t know if being a customer of their’s for 22 years had any bearing on their decision however.

18. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,150
      That implies loyalty. What planet are you living on?:rotfl:

19. Tase

Tase

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      Nothing to do with loyalty tbh....my parents who have only had Sky for less than 2 years got exactly the same deal!

20. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +453
      Out of interest, when you say "guaranteed" was there any small print associated with that or is it actually fixed for 18 months? The reason I ask is because when we had Sky the Ts and Cs said they were allowed to increase the price by up to 10% within the term of our "fixed price contract".

21. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,150
      I rest my case mi'lud.:D

@LotusElan I think that the term "fixed" is often not "fixed" as far as a lot of "fixed for..." contracts due to the 'inflation based' small print. But 'guaranteed fixed' does sound like it will stay the same. But, as per usual, small print rules OK.

22. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +453
      Yeah, I'm struggling to think of any recent "fixed" contracts we've had where the price hasn't crept up! Perhaps I'm just not that savvy a customer... :blush:

23. Tase

Tase

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      I was sent an email at the time stating that the price was guaranteed not to increase for 18 months as long as I did not amend my package during those 18 months.

24. Tase

Tase

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      I was sent an email at the time stating that the price was guaranteed not to increase for 18 months as long as I did not amend my package during those 18 months.