NEWS: Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR

Are Sky's 4K Premier League games broadcast at 50fps?

The HDR football I've seen this week looks sensational on my Samsung Q90R.

I noticed the HDR logo come up on tv last night when I flicked on the Arsenal game in UHD last night and then again when I watched Brassic.

So other than the sport, which prompts you to switch to the UHD version, do any other broadcasts such as dramas prompt for the UHD equivalent? I know non sport UHD programming is only available over the internet but is it made available at the same time that the HD version is broadcast for the first time?

So other than the sport, which prompts you to switch to the UHD version, do any other broadcasts such as dramas prompt for the UHD equivalent? I know non sport UHD programming is only available over the internet but is it made available at the same time that the HD version is broadcast for the first time?

It depends - UHD versions should be available for download at the same time, but that doesn't always seem to be the case.
I'm hoping they'll be able to use the streamable versions served up to Glass to stream to Q as well (avoiding the download processing/delay at their end), but Sky haven't said anything about that yet.

Cheers. If a UHD version is available for download and you happen to be watching the HD broadcast, does it currently prompt to inform you of this?

I never watch anything live, but I do recall seeing some sort of “even better in UHD” thing.

Annoyingly, if you’ve recorded the HD version of something and you see a UHD version available when you check all formats, it won’t just download the UHD version, it goes to your recorded HD version. You have to delete the HD version first, then it will download the UHD.

It would be nice if you have a series link and something was available in UHD, it would automatically download the best version.

Agreed. The UHD/HDR integration needs some work.

HDR programmes can only be found using voice search and there is no option to record the UHD version from the Sky Go app.

I never use voice search, as I have a Harmony remote, so that’s pretty rubbish, if that’s the only way to find them.

I never use voice search, as I have a Harmony remote, so that’s pretty rubbish, if that’s the only way to find them.
There are also UHD sections in the on demand menus, plus a formats option, which should give the UHD versions.

Yeah, I find the UHD Versions ok. There doesn’t seem to be much apart from football that’s HDR though.

Presumably the UHD HDR shows up as separate from plain UHD?

I use a Harmony remote too - you have to select the formats option when downloading a UHD show, if HDR is available it shows up there on the list along with SD,HD, & UHD. There are quite a few ‘Sky Originals’ shows with HDR, things like Brassic, Temple, Patrick Melrose, Wolfe, etc. The quality varies though. I’ve found that the HLG they use often isn’t great so stick with the UHD versions. Strangely the HDR UHD versions are sometimes smaller in file size than the SDR UHD versions, so maybe there’s a bit rate difference.

So the Wolves v Everton game was the first EPL 'night-game' in UHD/HLG.

With the floodlights on boy did it look good last night. (eye-popping) The brightness on those electronic scoreboards had me squinting big time.

Impressive.

Had my Q box from first month it came out maybe 5/6 years or more? Its recently stopped recording on series link so going to request a new box,

Anyone know the latest box model version and if they charge for it? I'm assuming its a V3 HDR box and £50 up front?

TIA & Happy New Year All

Had my Q box from first month it came out maybe 5/6 years or more? Its recently stopped recording on series link so going to request a new box,

Anyone know the latest box model version and if they charge for it? I'm assuming its a V3 HDR box and £50 up front?

TIA & Happy New Year All
V3 boxes are the latest and are available with 1Tb and 2Tb hard drives. Both are HDR capable. The hardware version begins with 32B2xx.
It's usually £25 for a 1Tb self-install box or £50 for a 2Tb self-install (where the new box is couriered to you and give your old box to the courier on the doorstep to return)
You can sometimes get the updated box for free if you're lucky. Sky are supposed to swap boxes like for like, but I got a V2 box swapped for a V3 without being charged.
Give them a ring and negotiate. Also be aware that if you ask for and pay for an HDR box, you won't necessarily get a V3 box. V2 2Tb (32B1xx) boxes are HDR capable but run slightly slower than V3 boxes and have an external power brick.
Make sure you specify what you would like when/if you order...

Double check the model number on arrival, on the box there will be a “Cisco” sticker that will have a big long number … the first four digits are what you are looking for as per the comment from @teeveedee above.

I got my 2TB box in early December and it’s number is 32B059xxxxxxxxxxx meaning it’s a non hdr box

TIA & Happy New Year All
Make sure they know you have a faulty box first.

Make sure they know you have a faulty box first.
Also double check that you haven’t just run out of storage space. And that you are in the latest version.

Just checked my software, same 32B061 so not HDR, out of contract end of month so will try my luck with new box then.
Another tip - Photograph all your scheduled recordings and those already made on the Sky Q box. Then first watch the programmes you can't find on the catch up services. Learnt that trick having to return two boxes in the space of a couple of months and kept SWMBO happy.

Thanks all, Had to do a few tests with the advisor on the box over the phone and confirmed its a moody hard drive, No joy with a freebie V3 2TB HDR box so paid 50 notes for new box. Being delivered tomorrow.

Thanks all, Had to do a few tests with the advisor on the box over the phone and confirmed its a moody hard drive, No joy with a freebie V3 2TB HDR box so paid 50 notes for new box. Being delivered tomorrow.
Don’t forget to take your viewing card out before you hand it over. You’ll need it for the new box.

New 2TB HDR Box (32B2) got delivered this AM, No External power block and agot new voice controlled remote that we never had previously (Even got to keep the old power cable and remote as a spare) Anyone know if you can use old power cable with this box as going to be pain in the arse undoing all the cable tidies and reinstating?.. Thanks again all for your advice and guidance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom