NEWS: Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR

It’s not a natural picture though is it like you would see in real life.The colours pop much more don’t you think.C9 is two generations on from my E7 although HDR has been perfect until football.It dosent compare with the stunning HDR on YouTube nature videos.
Dont get me wrong football looks great in HDR but I think UHD 8 bit is more natural
All natural here on the C9.

The ss/hd are over saturated and you maybe just prefer that and expect the same in 4k/hdr🤷

Any of ye have the chelsea game get randomly darker after 30mins happened twice in the game, going to a different channel and back In fixed it

All natural here on the C9.

The ss/hd are over saturated and you maybe just prefer that and expect the same in 4k/hdr🤷
I don’t watch football in hd.I use 2160 8 bit in UHD with no HDR.HD is a blurry mess.I swear that Sky degrade the hd image each year.3 years ago it was pin sharp but it’s such a soft image now.I guess part of it is because we are use to UHD.

Must admit you are all right.This HDR picture is absolutely stunning.It’s so sharp and clear with vibrant colours.I didn’t give it chance over the weekend.I just kept changing my settings but now it looks fantastic.

To be fair, you, and I, were looking at a match played in bright sunshine. Under floodlights the lighting is stable and the cameras are not being asked to change exposure etc to cope with shade, temporary cloud cover etc. It makes a world of difference.
Now if only someone would quietly tell the commentator he doesn't need to talk all the time, things would be perfect.

Most times it's better with the sound down,I remember a few years ago when you pressed a button and only got the crowd noise. Oh how I wish they would bring that back.

Can anyone help I have a Samsung Q95t tv and sky q box I could watch sports in UHD but now when I select uhd the screen is very dark sky told me to change settings from 10 bit to 8 bit to make it brighter but I won’t get HDR just uhd seeing my tv is top of the range uhd and hdr how can I get this setting correct any help would be helpful thanks Brian

Sky are using the HLG format of HDR for their live UHD sports coverage. You need to tweak the settings on your TV to brighten the image for HLG HDR which is different to HDR10 or HDR10+ that your TV will use when streaming HDR content on apps like Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video.

The BBC iPlayer app on your TV (not on the Sky Q box) is also capable of playing UHD HDR content in HLG so it might be worth checking how that looks. There's a list of HLG content available here:

Can I watch programmes in Ultra HD on my connected TV? | iPlayer help

For Sky's HLG HDR (which can be variable in quality) make sure the HDMI port that you have your Q box connected to has Input Signal Plus enabled. Make sure the Q box is outputting 2160P 10bit. Try some other Sky Original content that is available in UHD HDR to see how it looks (something like Breeders series 2 or Intelligence series 2).

Anyone getting HDR for the Liverpool Chelsea game?

Yes, OK here. Sure you have set your box to 2160p 10-bit

All sorted box needed to be rebooted. I get this every now and then where I have to reboot to get HDR to kick in 🙄

All sorted box needed to be rebooted. I get this every now and then where I have to reboot to get HDR to kick in 🙄
Glad you got it sorted. It’s a bit worrying you have to reboot every now and again to get things working. I had a whole dish replaced Thursday and didn’t have to reboot and everything works fine. I can’t remember when I last had to reboot the box.

Has anyone noticed how poor hd football is now on Sky it’s very soft.The World Cup qualifiers on itv looked better to me than the premier league games.I swear sky have downgraded hd football so people go to uhd which is a big improvement over hd.Normal hd tv on itv and bbc and other channels looks absolutely amazing it’s pin sharp.I don’t watch football in hd but I just noticed while comparing hdr how poor the quality was from say a few years ago.

It’s probably because you are used to seeing it in 4K now so it will look worst. Before this HD was all you had and compared that to SDR, so HD then looked amazing. Might be wrong but that’s my thoughts.

Probably Sky throttling the PQ bandwidth now on HD channels so as to get people to adopt the UHD ones. Wasn't there a lot of chatter about them doing the same for the SD channels when the HD subscription first came about.

SD can still look decent from a respectable source and upscaled. Just not from SKY.

Probably Sky throttling the PQ bandwidth now on HD channels so as to get people to adopt the UHD ones. Wasn't there a lot of chatter about them doing the same for the SD channels when the HD subscription first came about.

SD can still look decent from a respectable source and upscaled. Just not from SKY.
Looking back at the samples on digitalbitrate.com, there's nothing to suggest they've recently dropped the bit rate at all.

It could be down to production changes as they'll have an UHD workflow which gets downscaled to HD, I supposed

Watched a bit of the cricket yesterday and even though not showing it in UHD the HD picture seemed very good, did wonder if they had upped the bandwidth.

Must uhd it spoils us.All other hd channels look spot on.Infact some look so good you could be mistaken that they are uhd.

I have decided I don’t like what Sky HDR does on my tv. It forces Normal Picture mode and that as standard has Vivid on and some sort of HDR Brightness setting. So I turned Vivid off, dialled down the HDR Bright and selected Warm 1. Happy now.

Don’t like football in HDR it’s just a false way over the top picture.Whites are luminous.No problem with films it’s just football. I set my picture to 8 bit for football.Doing that gives the most life like natural picture in UHD only which I’m happy with.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom