NEWS: Sky Q adds HDR movies plus new features

Noticed "Dr Sleep" was listed as "Enhanced for UHD" rather than "Also available in UHD"

It isn't in HDR though (and it's not Dec 9th yet) so I wonder what that actually means.

Enhanced for UHD means it's an upscale to 4K from a 2/3K intermediate. Content that is not tagged as Enhanced for UHD means that a 4K intermediate was used, so native 4K. Not sure why Doctor Sleep would have Enhanced for UHD though as the 4K disc is native 4K.

I’ve never watched a film in hdr as I worry about screen burn.Will there be a way to turn it off on sky or do I turn off deep colour on my hdmi setting on the tv.Will I still get uhd with deep colour hdmi turned off.If I do decide to try hdr which setting on my E7 Oled do I use.At the moment I use isf brightroom. It’s the oled light at 100 that scares me with hdr as mines only on 48

I’ve never watched a film in hdr as I worry about screen burn.Will there be a way to turn it off on sky or do I turn off deep colour on my hdmi setting on the tv.Will I still get uhd with deep colour hdmi turned off.If I do decide to try hdr which setting on my E7 Oled do I use.At the moment I use isf brightroom. It’s the oled light at 100 that scares me with hdr as mines only on 48
You worry too much.
Just watch in HDR. Use the cinema picture mode, no settings changes needed and enjoy it.
The chance of screen burn is so close to zero as to be irrelevant.

The screens are designed for HDR and HDR isn't about brighter pictures - though they are brighter, but not that much.
If you really want to turn it off then I think you should be able to set the TVto not accept HDR

I wonder if these will migrate to those of us on Virgin with Sky Cinema.

I put those chances from roughly zero to jack crap.

No need to be so paranoid! I leave my B7 on pause for 20, 30 mins? No banners mind, but playing an HDR film will NOT give you screen burn. You might get image retention which is not the same thing and it goes on the next image change. Playing a film with moving images is nothing to worry about.

Use ISF dark, and enjoy your TV, don't be scared of it.

I’ve just tried an hdr film and use John Archers settings off here for cinema hdr.One word amazing the lighting is fantastic.I’m all set up for hdr now and will watch everything in hdr from now on

I’ve just tried an hdr film and use John Archers settings off here for cinema hdr.One word amazing the lighting is fantastic.I’m all set up for hdr now and will watch everything in hdr from now on

A HDR film on Sky Q? Says they will be ready for Christmas? Which film? Also which settings, I'm guessing that is TV specific

Yes the film is The Secret Garden and hdr kicks in straight away.HDR has been on Sky Q since September with some nature programs and a few box sets so just check online.The Secret Garden is the first film though two weeks ago.
My tv is an E7 OLED on cinema setting with a few tweaks but it looks stunning.

A HDR film on Sky Q? Says they will be ready for Christmas? Which film? Also which settings, I'm guessing that is TV specific
Secret garden was first movie. Outstanding picture quality and atmos!

"The new features will begin rolling out on the 18th November and be available to all Sky Q customers by mid-December. "

Wrong! Many Sky customers who even have the right subscriptions but got early editions of even the Sky Q 2TB boxes cannot get HDR without paying Sky £50 to update their box. Other Sky Q boxes are also not compatible. You are misrepresenting the situation.

Yup correct , one can get round paying Sky £50 to update the box though . I called them up over sound drop outs to my AV and they replaced my box at no additional cost . :thumbsup: . As such i can now recieve HDR .

I paid for the HDR box, but then had a right moan at them for the prices I pay, got it down by £38 per-month so it was worth the moan and the box.

Moreover, Sky has now made it possible to continue watching recordings, video on demand and access apps when a satellite signal is lost due to dish damage or poor weather conditions.
A tiny step towards Sky without a dish perhaps??

Nice how they are 'expanding' the voice search when a voice search for "Dolby Atmos" no longer works and retrieves zero results. This used to work fine. Also tried "Atmos" with no results.

Nice how they are 'expanding' the voice search when a voice search for "Dolby Atmos" no longer works and retrieves zero results. This used to work fine. Also tried "Atmos" with no results.
I know. I noticed this a few weeks ago. You have to go through every description now to see if it had Dolby Atmos. Crazy... one step forward then 3 back with sky. 🙄

...and how about starting to roll out updates to the SKY Q Mini's to also accept UHD/HDR content. We pay these HD + UHD subscriptions but are limited to watching the UHD/HDR content on only one Q box, that being the Main.!! Not on...

...and how about starting to roll out updates to the SKY Q Mini's to also accept UHD/HDR content. We pay these HD + UHD subscriptions but are limited to watching the UHD/HDR content on only one Q box, that being the Main.!! Not on...

Aren't the mini boxes limited to 1080 ?

Aren't the mini boxes limited to 1080 ?

That's my point... Why are they limited to only 1080p? Why can't they have the same UHD/HDR capabilities as their parent main box?

That's my point... Why are they limited to only 1080p? Why can't they have the same UHD/HDR capabilities as their parent main box?
Limitation on their mesh system? I doubt it mind, but if it's flaky, then all they'll get is complaining customers. But it is annoying as the mini boxes great

Limitation on their mesh system? I doubt it mind, but if it's flaky, then all they'll get is complaining customers. But it is annoying as the mini boxes great
The HDMI and chips in the mini boxes aren't 4K capable. It would need new hardware, and likely a new main box to facilitate streaming 4K around Q network.

I agree it's not good enough really, and I believe Virgin now offer it on their system. The mini boxes can be connected via ethernet which would overcome mesh/WiFi issues. I'd be happy with an app BT Sport style to watch 4K HDR on a compatible TV/device away from main box.

With Virgin, you had cable running to other boxes, so you got full fat cable, but connecting to the main box to share recordings never worked once for me.

Yup correct , one can get round paying Sky £50 to update the box though . I called them up over sound drop outs to my AV and they replaced my box at no additional cost . :thumbsup: . As such i can now recieve HDR .
I have the V3 box and am getting these drop outs constantly. Did the replacement box fix the issues? Would be delighted to hear it did as i feared it was an issue on Sky's end

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom