NEWS: Sky price rises to affect millions of TV subscribers

I was with Sky when they first started with a Amsrad box in the 80s I am with virgin now no major problems at the moment. I see everybody is increasing there prices inc Netflix by £2 pm Dam, Dam. It is like the Doris Day song Whatever will be will be

Sky just doesn't have the content to tempt us back into a contract at this time. We ditched them about a year ago and haven't really looked back. Most of our viewing is via Netflix/Prime/Apple and we get a decent deal on NowTV for Entertainment and Sky Sports. While the slight streaming delay and inability to record games when I am out is a minor negative, it far outweighs what we were spending on Sky.

The idea of Sky Q is great. Combination of linear broadcast, recording, multi-screen, catch-up, apps, and universal search. Unfortunately the execution is, in my opinion, pretty poor. Still no UHD for Scottish Football which BT Sport had been doing while they still had the rights, no HDR & HFR for sports, no Dolby Vision, inability to set which apps appear when you select the apps button (Sky apps only), no Apple TV+ & NFL Gamepass apps and no streaming back-up if satellite signal goes down. I would happily pay a premium for a one box solution that can do all that.

Putting prices up as many people could be about to lose jobs (end of furlough) is not going to boost their subscription numbers. More and more people can easily find cheaper (illegal) alternatives for the sports coverage, especially amongst younger people. Should HBO Max launch in UK when Sky deal ends then there will be even less content and if a Prime or Apple came in for EPL rights that would have to lead to a radical change in their proposition overnight. There are always deals to be negotiated with Sky but they can't continue to increase prices whilst losing key content - something has to give.

Unless you're into the sports packages what's the point in Sky or any TV service provider? Netflix alone (the steaming pile it is right now) has more content going for it.

Has anyone in contract managed to reduce their contract as a result of this price rise?

On the phone now as my email arrived. Increase of above 10% on the sports package (which I thought might be a sticking point as I had got a fixed 36 month price on that)

All done

Was outside on minimum contract (so the 36 month fixed sky sports package made no difference)

Very painless, was offered to look at cheaper deals but said no thanks. 31 days notice served and will get a box in post to return sky Q kit.

Very sneaky to show a breakdown of increases, and then hide a £1 increase for Netflix in the small print:

1614074918194.png

Very sneaky to show a breakdown of increases, and then hide a £1 increase for Netflix in the small print:

View attachment 1465468
Yes, I thought that too! Received my letter today, seriously considering junking Sky Cinema when my contract ends - it's not as a good as Netflix for movies, so seems a waste of money now.

I tried! But it worked out the same to keep cinema rather than lose it? Haha they’re mad
Yeah wouldn't surprise me - that's the sort of silly games they play with the packages, to force you to take stuff you don't want to get the stuff you do.

It doesn't surprise me any more, within months of "recontracting" for another 18 months with a hard haggled battle, they just up the price. always one winner unless you are prepared to walk away!

for me its £1 inc on Sky signature, £1 on Sky HD and £1 on Sky Multiroom

I’ve had my pants pulled down by them this month. Only renewed contact 12wks ago.
They’ve increased my Sky Sig pack by £6 p/m. Couldn’t see why but they had only agreed to 2mth discount the sneaky b’s.
A16BB9FD-3449-4C02-BF87-85E33322055A.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom