NEWS: Sky price rises to affect millions of TV subscribers

For those leaving sky or have left sky, what have you replaced it with? Freeview? Freesat?

Freeview, plus a pick and mix of the various steaming services. We always have Netflix and Prime, and drop in and out of the others depending on what’s available.

Also keep an eye out for deals - currently have Apple+ Free for a year, and have Disney+ free for 6 months.

One of the many things that Sky are bad at these days is movies. Sky movies is just terrible, they don’t update their library anywhere near enough to justify the massive cost. We occasionally rent from Rakuten, when we fancy a recent movie release.

I don’t have a set top box, just use the apps on my LG TV.

I would never, ever, ever, ever in a million years get Sky. Massive rip off - hundreds of channels of junk (and I get enough junk on Freeview). I just don't know how they justify these price rises - especially after the year we've all had.
I've had Sky from the mid 90's and never had an issue.
I know it ain't cheap(full package)but in fairness,neither is what they pay for the footie or movie rights.

If you're not interested in those then it's not bad but ya kinda get what ya pay for.

My gripe now is that to watch all the football,I need three subscriptions.

Over time Sky are going to struggle. Disney has essentially pulled all of their content from sky and put it on Disney+ and I’m sure once the deal ends they will pull the fox channel too. Discovery + may shall go that way too.

like people said it’s the sport that will keep those people on the platform but over time I can see everyone else moving away

Just checked my future bill on my sky app and it is going up a pound, don't think I will bother with the hassle of ringing them for the sake of a quid. The only reason we have sky is for the Q box because her indoors likes to record all the reality crap that is on. If it were me I would ditch sky altogether and go with a faster broadband provider, but it's not :(

Cancellation request put in. No deals offered at all. Good riddance. Off to buy a Manhattan T3

Be interested to read your impressions as this is likely a path I'll be doing down in about a months time , sky contract ends 21/4. One slight concern I have is the fact the T3-R only has 2 tuners compared to 3 on e.g the Humax aura. Other things that concern me about cancelling sky are only having SD catch up services (think I'm right in saying you only get HD catch-up from itv / ch4 on sky) and the lack of HD versions of e.g ITV2 etc on freeview.

Over time Sky are going to struggle. Disney has essentially pulled all of their content from sky and put it on Disney+ and I’m sure once the deal ends they will pull the fox channel too. Discovery + may shall go that way too.

like people said it’s the sport that will keep those people on the platform but over time I can see everyone else moving away
I think Sky are aware of the direction things are moving, which is why they are now switching to be much more of a platform provider, having added Netflix, Prime, Disney, Spotify etc. Although obviously not as lucrative as having the content themselves.

Cancellation request put in. No deals offered at all. Good riddance. Off to buy a Manhattan T3

Personally, I would be going down the Roku route. Way more content, 4K and options. You can also get freeview through that, and all the catchup stuff from it without having to record stuff, making the ‘how many tuners’ question redundant.

Personally, I would be going down the Roku route. Way more content, 4K and options. You can also get freeview through that, and all the catchup stuff from it without having to record stuff, making the ‘how many tuners’ question redundant.
That's okay, if the content you want is available on catch-up - not everything is.

What Roku route, please elaborate on what exactly you're referring to?

Cheers

Sky TV is by far the worst value-for-money subscription I have, but sadly, it's the only option I have for a few of the channels I watch due to where I live and my broadband speed not being fast enough to get all my TV online.

Does anyone else think it's just ridiculous that HD is an Add-On extra charge in 2021? 🤷‍♂️

What Roku route, please elaborate on what exactly you're referring to?

Cheers

£39.99 for the premier, although deals often pop up. The streaming bar is very good to (Roku Streambar Soundbar Review).

Hands down the most comprehensive streaming set top box on the market. Great interface, with all the usual services like Netflix etc, but a million more. Plus you can get Sky movies and Now (Sky One, F) and Freeview through it if you want.

As pointed out, some Freeview stuff isn’t on catch-up (mainly some sports).

Maybe not suitable for everyone mind.

My husband and son watch regular TV and we record a bit but they need it to be super easy. Im the one who wants Apps so im happy to use my PS5 for those and get the T3-R for Freeview

£39.99 for the premier, although deals often pop up. The streaming bar is very good to (Roku Streambar Soundbar Review).

Hands down the most comprehensive streaming set top box on the market. Great interface, with all the usual services like Netflix etc, but a million more. Plus you can get Sky movies and Now (Sky One, F) and Freeview through it if you want.

As pointed out, some Freeview stuff isn’t on catch-up (mainly some sports).

Maybe not suitable for everyone mind.

Never even knew those existed, interesting although to be fair I'd probably use my TV native apps for the streaming services i.e netflix / prime / ATV / Disney+ / apple TV / YouTube so not sure this is something I'd have any use for but might be useful for other TVs in the house that's for sure. I'd still need a freeview PVR though, can't really see any way of avoiding that if I want to watch everything in at least HD quality with catch-up being SD for most content (as far as I understand)

Just to be fair, watched the Hammers beat Tottenham ( :D ) earlier in UHD, and the PQ was superb to be honest.

Just to be fair, watched the Hammers beat Tottenham ( :D ) earlier in UHD, and the PQ was superb to be honest.
It’s the only part of the ‘promise’ of SkyQ and UHD they actually delivered on, but when you then consider that the BBC were showing UHD in HDR a few years back, and no news at all in terms of HFR for Sports, it just shows how far behind technically they have fallen from being leaders/innovators. Even thinking about Amazon, allowing switch/choice of concurrent matches shows they have stopped innovating, even on their flagship content.

But wasn't that just on iPlayer? I don't recall them ever broadcasting any UHD material, let alone in HDR.
But totally agree that Sky have fallen well behind on innovation.

But wasn't that just on iPlayer? I don't recall them ever broadcasting any UHD material, let alone in HDR.
But totally agree that Sky have fallen well behind on innovation.
True, it was iPlayer only.

I have a Roku 4k stick and not been able to find a freeview app what's it called.

Sky TV is by far the worst value-for-money subscription I have, but sadly, it's the only option I have for a few of the channels I watch due to where I live and my broadband speed not being fast enough to get all my TV online.

Does anyone else think it's just ridiculous that HD is an Add-On extra charge in 2021? 🤷‍♂️

100%,especially now that 4K is here but if you think of what that must rake in for them,unfortunately I don't see it ending.

Well I’m paying £0.00 for it so it’s only ridiculous at that level.:D

100%,especially now that 4K is here but if you think of what that must rake in for them,unfortunately I don't see it ending.
The only way I can see it disappearing is Sky doing the same as they've done with Box Sets - roll it into the new base package, put the price up to cover any lost revenue, then require people to move to it if they want to change their packages..

I only renegotiated my deal on 30 January, basic package at £36.50 but I see that’s going up to £39.50 in April. It’s only £3 and still cheaper than I was paying before but even so... I can’t say I’m happy, I used a messaging / live chat to renegotiate but I’m dammed if I can remember how !, live chat seems to have disappeared, any tips on chat please as I don’t want to call them ?.

edit, found it, it was messenger chat!.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom