NEWS: Sky price rises to affect millions of TV subscribers

Sport is the only reason I have Sky

They are taking a risk here - football is not the same to watch without crowds (appreciate that isn't Sky's fault - though their appalling service is their fault) and I suspect I am not the only person who no longer really watches it.

Getting through to them to cancel is the real challenge - an absolute p take at the best of times.

Sport is what Sky have always used to tie in customers, which is why they have always paid ridiculous amounts of money for the PL rights. Interesting though that they were not keen on buying the current England v India test matches, which CH4 eventually picked up . Perhaps they are feeling the pinch at the moment, hence scaling back spending while hiking subs.

I love the way everyone complains about a price increase on sky when netflix and disney+ have gone up too,ok sky is expensive but its the only way to get some of the stuff available

I love the way everyone complains about a price increase on sky when netflix and disney+ have gone up too,ok sky is expensive but its the only way to get some of the stuff available
That may well be part of the problem - back in the day if you wanted "premium" TV then Sky was it, with Virgin being the poor relation. Nowadays though, many people seem happy to pay for a Netflix sub, a Disney + sub, plus an Amazon Prime sub - so no wonder they are finding the Sky sub increasingly expensive and poor value for money.

They didn't alter mine the last time they raised the prices. Unsure if just luck or not.
Maybe lucky! I have certainly had a price increase during a contract.

Just had my email ÂŁ6 a month increase! Contract up in May so will be requesting cancellation in April unless they can reduce the cost down.

Well that makes sense to be fair, there would be no point in just having UHD, bearing in mind that there are no actual UHD channels. Having a choice between UHD downloads and SD broadcasts would be a bit weird.
There are UHD broadcasts too - all the sport content...

That may well be part of the problem - back in the day if you wanted "premium" TV then Sky was it, with Virgin being the poor relation. Nowadays though, many people seem happy to pay for a Netflix sub, a Disney + sub, plus an Amazon Prime sub - so no wonder they are finding the Sky sub increasingly expensive and poor value for money.

It'll be interesting to see if the large price rises for Netflix and Disney+ have much effect on subscriber numbers. The latter might not, given they're adding Star and it can be avoided for a while by taking an annual sub, but the ÂŁ2 increase in Netflix might cause some to cancel for a while

Lets be honest. UHD is barely UHD, heavily compressed, they did it with HD too, and just reduced the SD bitrate, SD looks awful, but they do it to upsell the HD and UHD. Looking at a sky movies UHD movie verses the Blu ray movie, difference is huge, also we STILL dont have HDR on sports, yet BT have been doing that for ages now. Iam just saying, sky could be alot better !

What really amazes me these days is that anyone is prepared to pay their insane prices (and still get adverts), even before this latest subscription hike. It’s just nuts, we ditched Sky 3 years ago, and now we have Netflix, Prime (free for 6 months), Disney (free for 12 months) and loads of other services for less than what we paid for Sky. In fact we currently have most Sky channels with Now, super cheap as clearly they are getting desperate, but will cancel that soon as well (oh yeah, no long contracts either). Sky must be haemorrhaging customers, which I guess is why they need to charge their remaining ones more.

It's not just price either - they have fallen behind on stuff like UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision, Atmos etc and are now playing catch up. After being leaders in the field for stuff like HD and 3D, they are now also rans.

Had Sky for 12 years and cancelled in 2019, and thought I’m going to miss it. Well that didn’t happen...lol
What with all the available streaming platforms now with a wealth of content in Dolby Vision/4K/HDR. Sky is a distant memory including their yearly price hikes and an extra charge for compressed bit starved so called HD.:rolleyes: Plus the few UHD programs that actually look good when downloaded and available.
They still keep sending me come back offers (we miss you :rotfl:) about every 3 weeks though. But that is never going to happen...:D:p

Sky aren't the only company who charge a premium for HD and UHD - Netflix does (although most people go for the top package anyway) and BT do, at least for some customers.

Interesting that sky and the media make a big thing on their increased offering of HDR material, just a shame that the box you need to watch that can’t do Dolby surround sound without sound dropouts throughout any recorded or downloaded content, good to know that we can now pay even more.

It's all about the sport for me:
Cricket
Golf
NFL
Football

Pretty much the only reason I keep it on.

What really amazes me these days is that anyone is prepared to pay their insane prices (and still get adverts), even before this latest subscription hike. It’s just nuts, we ditched Sky 3 years ago, and now we have Netflix, Prime (free for 6 months), Disney (free for 12 months) and loads of other services for less than what we paid for Sky. In fact we currently have most Sky channels with Now, super cheap as clearly they are getting desperate, but will cancel that soon as well (oh yeah, no long contracts either). Sky must be haemorrhaging customers, which I guess is why they need to charge their remaining ones more.

But even NowTV was behind every other streaming service with 720p, and now they’ve finally updated to 1080p they charge an additional £3 on top of whatever season pass to get it in 1080p now. They really are the masters at price-gouging. That only works when you are offering premium exclusive services, but it’s simply not the case anymore.

Cancelled Sky 6 months ago after being with them for 25 years. Don’t miss it one bit.

It was nice to get that hideous wart of satellite dish of the house wall too.

Also got rid of my TV license for the same reason. NO WORTHWHILE CONTENT!

Lets be honest. UHD is barely UHD, heavily compressed, they did it with HD too, and just reduced the SD bitrate, SD looks awful, but they do it to upsell the HD and UHD. Looking at a sky movies UHD movie verses the Blu ray movie, difference is huge, also we STILL dont have HDR on sports, yet BT have been doing that for ages now. Iam just saying, sky could be alot better !

Sky's UHD is the poorest out there. I have no doubt about that. Even on a hot TV you can tell it's not upto the standard the streaming sites offer.

This for me is unforgivable, even before you talk about their poor content.

my bill is going up by ÂŁ3.
Managed to beat it last time but I'm not sure I can be bothered this time for just ÂŁ3.

Interesting though that they were not keen on buying the current England v India test matches, which CH4 eventually picked up .
Cricket is the main reason I keep Sky and have noticed over the last few years they have let go of a lot of the overseas cricket. The sooner someone else gets the England home cricket the better.

I will be ditching Sky Movies at price negotiating time so will see what price they offer for sports, including the rise, as to whether I stay with them.

For those leaving sky or have left sky, what have you replaced it with? Freeview? Freesat?

For those leaving sky or have left sky, what have you replaced it with? Freeview? Freesat?

Personally if I cancel my contract next month the plan will be to live with Now TV (possibly) , a freeview PVR (Manhattan T3-R probably) , netflix , Amazon prime , Disney+ and hbo max. More than enough content there although the monthly price when factoring in the price of the PVR box isn't far off what I'd probably pay Sky for the next 12 months but it's also a matter of principle as I really don't like Sky's biased news coverage , promoting the taking the knee crap etc.
The main issue I have is paying a premium for Sky but the picture quality is absolutely shocking most of the time, UHD ain't UHD it's glorified HD at best.

The Manhattan T3-R is probably what I’ll go with too. I just want a really good PVR that isn’t over complicated. Humax Aura may be a tad too much going on plus I use my PS5 for media apps.

Sky's UHD is the poorest out there. I have no doubt about that. Even on a sh*t hot TV you can tell it's not upto the standard the streaming sites offer.

This for me is unforgivable, even before you talk about their piss poor content.
On football It looks the same as amazon primes uhd to me, still barely uhd and poor

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom