NEWS: Sky price rises to affect millions of TV subscribers

Rang sky yesterday trying to cancel my sky package. Was told I can't.
So even if you try and pay your package off early they won't let you

You can and you are allowed to pay out if you wish regardless of what numpty you got on the phone or online saying otherwise.

You can and you are allowed to pay out if you wish regardless of what numpty you got on the phone or online saying otherwise.

Nope, the charges mentioned are for if Sky terminate the contract early due to the customer breaching the Ts&Cs.

Sky will not cancel a contract earlier than minimum term at the customers request.

If you are outside of the minimum term of the contract you can cancel with 30 days notice following the price rise letter.

I can give my 31 days notice in May. I tired to negotiate as at the moment there is no new content I am watching.
Long story short it was explained to me that I cannot cancel until then, I cannot even payoff the reminder of my contract

Mine's going up £5 a month, which given it's literally days since I agreed to renew my phone/BB package, and sort out some lingering issues with multiple expired 'discounts' that weren't synched when I added some bits last year, is pretty annoying.

The 'average' Sky user referred to in the article can't have much in the way of services! I'm going to be seeing bigger bills for:

TV package £1
HD £1 (they really shouldn't be charging for this anyway!)
Ultimate add-on £1
Multiscreen £1 (also shouldn't be charging for this, especially when they can't even offer a UHD Mini)
BB £1

End of the day, if you sign to a contract, the price should be fixed for the length of that contract otherwise what's the point of a contract?

I would never, ever, ever, ever in a million years get Sky. Massive rip off - hundreds of channels of junk (and I get enough junk on Freeview). I just don't know how they justify these price rises - especially after the year we've all had.

I would never, ever, ever, ever in a million years get Sky. Massive rip off - hundreds of channels of junk (and I get enough junk on Freeview). I just don't know how they justify these price rises - especially after the year we've all had.
No one is ever forced to take Sky. They know that enough people will swallow the increase or else they wouldn't do it.

I cancelled my skyq package cause when I tried to reduce my bill by cancelling part of my package, my price actually went up , wtf where’s the logic in that , good riddance sky 🥳

I can give my 31 days notice in May. I tired to negotiate as at the moment there is no new content I am watching.
Long story short it was explained to me that I cannot cancel until then, I cannot even payoff the reminder of my contract
I would suspect that they apply this purely to prevent people trying to renegotiate during a contract. If you were just looking to leave, and paid up in full the remaining period of your contract before formal cancellation then legally they would not be able to do anything to stop you, nor would there be any reason for them to try to, to be honest.

End of the day, if you sign to a contract, the price should be fixed for the length of that contract otherwise what's the point of a contract?
Where's the problem in paying off your obligation early? No one has reneged on payment.

*edit. Just seen your reply.

Can't believe Sky is still charging a premium for HD! I guess they still have the old dinosaur SD then? Hilerious. Hello, its 2021, we have 4k for some time now.

Can't believe Sky is still charging a premium for HD! I guess they still have the old dinosaur SD then? Hilerious. Hello, its 2021, we have 4k for some time now.
See this confuses me - are they charging for 4k, or are they charging for 1080p too?

You've a legal right to cancel your services without penalty if a provider introduces previously unannounced price increases mid contract while you are in a contract with them. Ofcom enforce this:

…if a provider wishes to increase the monthly subscription price (or prices) agreed by the customer at point of sale, customers should be given at least one month's notice of the increase and be allowed to exit the contract without penalty.

Guidance on “material detriment” under GC9.6 in relation to price rises and notification of contract modifications:

SKY's Terms and Conditions can say whatever they want, they do not negate UK consumer law. If SKY had a clause in their T&Cs that stated they can break into your home and steal you goods at any time then how far do you think they'd get in court? Actually, there probably is such a clause within SKY's T&Cs?

Last edited:
Hence the reasoning behins the Ofcom leiuslation allowing consumers to leave without penalty if such increases are imposed or announced.

Most people tend to not leave though and use the threat of leaving as leverage while renegotiating a new deal that basically negates the increases or at least reduces the increases.

I've just renegotiated my contract with Virgin Media after they announced a price increase. I ended up not only negating the proposed price increase, but also negotiated a price £30 less than I was previously paying per month.

I don't see why it would be any different if dealing with SKY?

Last edited:
I have sky signature, ultimate add on, hd and cinema. Bb is super fast all for £58, that makes the increase £4, still £11.50 less than my previous contract and I now have Netflix so not to bad, however it make the increase around 7% which is well above inflation. I can't fault the deal they gave me so will stick with them.

See this confuses me - are they charging for 4k, or are they charging for 1080p too?
Oh yes, they'll happily bill you both for HD, and then 4k on top! You can negate some of that if you have multiscreen as that includes 4k (but not HD!)

Basically they mostly 'discount' this to £1 or free as part of a package

I'm outside my original minimum term on Sky Q. But I did take a 36 month reduced price sports sub, I suspect they will use that as a reason not to allow me to leave - however I wonder if the fact the base package price is changing (which I need to view sports) might allow me to leave sky?

I'm outside my original minimum term on Sky Q. But I did take a 36 month reduced price sports sub, I suspect they will use that as a reason not to allow me to leave - however I wonder if the fact the base package price is changing (which I need to view sports) might allow me to leave sky?

As I've stated above, if in a contract with SKY and if they impose a previously unannounced price increase mid contract then you are free to leave without penalty. If not in a contract then you are free to leave whenever you want to.

As I've stated above, if in a contract with SKY and if they impose a previously unaounced price increase mid contrat then you are free to leave without penalty. If not in a contract then you are free to leave whenever you want to.

Cheers, am sure they will try and say I can't leave! Will await the letter then make the phone call.

Sky will not cancel a contract earlier than minimum term at the customers request.

Got out of my contract 6 months early though. Go figure. Wasnt quite straight forward as just asking though I must admit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom