Quantcast

NEWS: Sky Movies and Virgin Media get new movies early

jwsg

The irony is great - companies adding more content while others are saying they're reducing streaming speeds to reduce 'overload'

Tingo

Standard Member
That's a shame £16 or sd, I thought this would be a good idea but the cost is more than 2 tickets at my local cinema and I think it must be 16 yrs since I watched an sd movie. Good idea poorly implemented.

gibbletts

That's a shame £16 or sd, I thought this would be a good idea but the cost is more than 2 tickets at my local cinema and I think it must be 16 yrs since I watched an sd movie. Good idea poorly implemented.
They’re HD on my sky q box, but £16 is too rich for my blood.

xxGBHxx

I'm surprised they are even offering HD considering all services seem to be turning SD right now.
LOL they'll SELL you HD but stream in SD. What a wonderful scam.

£16? sounds like a BARGAIN!

:rolleyes:

G

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Can't please everyone I guess, a family ticket is £40, this studios are bringing you a film to enjoy at the comfort of your own homes for only £16.

My local cineworld adult price is £12.60, so while not a bargain it's value for money.

smackos

I wonder how the heck they arrived at that figure. I mean, a lot of the country now has Vue ticket pricing at £4.99 an adult ticket, and the likes of Odeon and Cineworld do an unlimited monthly pass for £18.40. Now, I'll pay £20 a month if you want to do an unlimited home theatrical release streaming service, but £16 for a viewing is a stretch. (especially in the current climate!)

jwsg

It's come from the same RNG as the 25% streaming bit-rate reduction to save the internet.

1080 jawbreaker

So its stuff thats had there cinema run cut short due to closures cutting there profits. For a quick cash grab they make them available on VOD services. Do you think we will see AAA titles that were due to open in the coming weeks/months. Not a chance.

Paul Iddon

When we lose our wages because of the virus no bugger on minimum wage will be able to afford any movies.

I'd have to save that £16 to put food in the cupboards.

We need to have large corporations save us money and reduce our outgoings, not jump on the bandwagon to earn more for their coffers.

There are gonna be so many people without money and needing help, not offers of entertainment at £16 a pop.

Good idea if you have lots of savings or a well paid job that won't leave you short....

xxGBHxx

Can't please everyone I guess, a family ticket is £40, this studios are bringing you a film to enjoy at the comfort of your own homes for only £16.

My local cineworld adult price is £12.60, so while not a bargain it's value for money.

You pay £40 for the privilege of seeing it on a 30+ foot screen and it being a bit of an "event" coupled with being able to buy overpriced popcorn or even watch in 3D.

I don't happen to agree that paying £16 for a single film to watch it on my TV once is particularly good value (especially now it's SD). DVD's and Blu rays are cheaper and you get to keep them or sell them to someone else if you don't want to keep them so even cheaper again.

They're not doing anyone a favour but as I always say on these forums,not my money.

G

Gravyboat74

Standard Member
Given the theatrical window and the time it takes for disc release, we'll be able to rent these movies for £4.99 a pop, in August. I think i'll wait thanks.

jwsg

A subscription service might work like a year's cinema pass, in fact Odeon etc might realise they could move into streaming. Perhaps they're worried people would then never go back to the cinema at all, but people still go to live football games even after TV coverage started.

richardr

I'm surprised they are even offering HD considering all services seem to be turning SD right now.
Don't forget the Sky system is slightly different - they may well download these movies as they are just a small selection each week, but alternatively, their system isn't live viewing, so a reduction in streaming quality only affects the time taken to download the film. They will also have (I would imagine) the majority of their subscribers on their network, so will be able to control it from that point of view.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
So its stuff thats had there cinema run cut short due to closures cutting there profits. For a quick cash grab they make them available on VOD services. Do you think we will see AAA titles that were due to open in the coming weeks/months. Not a chance.
No chance if people are complaining about the price already!!!!

Graham

I’ve got Invisible Man pre-ordered on iTunes to own for £9.99 so I’m not paying £16 to rent it for two days. I can see the argument that it saves money compared to the cinema, especially for a family, but then the cinema experience isn’t there at home is it? Well not for the vast majority of people. I appreciate that quite a few people have a better set up at home on everything bar screen size, but how many kids care about whether the image is in perfect focus or that people are talking endlessly / looking at their phones? They want the big seats, excitement of going somewhere new, the snacks and a big screen. It’s all part of the magic of getting introduced to cinema when you’re young.

I think there would have been a far higher take up if they’d made it £16 to own these films - a ‘rent them now and you’ll get them to own when they’re released normally’ deal would have likely been a nice idea. And actually feel like a nice gesture as opposed to a way to get more money out of people who are quite rightly worried about finances.

DrGekko

What upsets me about the big entertainment companies is that they can do a lot more to support us all rather than charging us the same and supplying content sooner.

If interest rates can be reduced and potentially mortgage repayments be halted, why can't these companies do the same? How about a 3 month free rental or even a discount? They make huge profits and will still continue to profit.

Our society has become dependent on broadband and entertainment just as much as food and water it seems and they know it.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
£16 a pop , streamed in low quality, and you don't even get to own the movie. Sounds like a great deal 😝

JSWolf

The irony is great - companies adding more content while others are saying they're reducing streaming speeds to reduce 'overload'
With Sky, if you have a Sky box, you can download the movie and watch in full HD quality.

mb3195

With Sky, if you have a Sky box, you can download the movie and watch in full HD quality.
picture isn’t the main problem with sky, it’s the awfully compressed audio that stops me watching any films from sky in my cinema room.

Sky isn’t the only one, I tested the 4k edition of skyfall yesterday downloaded for Appletv. Played it against the blu ray, absolutely no comparison in sound.

JSWolf

picture isn’t the main problem with sky, it’s the awfully compressed audio that stops me watching any films from sky in my cinema room.

Sky isn’t the only one, I tested the 4k edition of skyfall yesterday downloaded for Appletv. Played it against the blu ray, absolutely no comparison in sound.
Apple is trottling the bandwidth for streaming. Sound is part of what's getting squashed.

Distinguished Member
Even before the latest measures the sound of AppleTV content was no where near a Blu-ray disc.

* I don't even think they've cut the audio bitrate, just the video at the moment, imbw.

Graham

Even before the latest measures the sound of AppleTV content was no where near a Blu-ray disc.

* I don't even think they've cut the audio bitrate, just the video at the moment, imbw.
I really don’t think the difference is that massive to be honest, especially when playing ATV Atmos.

Latest News

BenQ launches new Home Cinema and Gaming projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Acorn TV streaming service to launch in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UK 2020 TV rollout and prices revealed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020
  • By Andy Bassett