NEWS: SKY Launch NOW TV Stick

The term "Full HD" seems a bit vague to me. Is it just a bump in picture quality to 1080i/p, or is the audio content being updated too to handle DD5.1 audio where it's available (or should be) in the streamed content. If it's the latter, and the quality finally matches the likes of Amazon and Netflix when it comes to HD offerings, then I'll be very tempted to subscribe (assuming of course that the programmes are not riddled with commercial breaks).

Clem

All very good news as Now TV really is an overlooked gem of a streaming service, especially if you can find the passes cheap. Think my last couple of years has averaged £10 a month for both entertainment and cinema subs which is pretty damn decent considering the content. A bump in quality would be welcome too, though their current service is certainly watchable.

Have to wonder how this is going to affect the traditional Sky offering though. Unless you REALLY want sports or the more obscure channels surely it becomes hard to justify the cost (assuming you have decent unlimited broadband of course)? Can't see it doing wonders for their offerings on other service providers like Virgin either. Far cheaper to get Now TV cinema pass than to sign up to the movie packages...

the quality needs a huge bump as it was an abortion, they should stop the dicking around and get a uhd streamer released. I still not be interested though, Sky lost me as a subscriber back in 1991 :) recent years ive had plenty of tv/movie passes with various promotions and every time ive watched nothing on it.

Damn. All we need is Netflix and YouTube to make streaming sticks and that all the heavy hitter with their own devices.

NOWTV on the inbuilt app on my 4K tv looks pretty decent for 720P, 1080P is long overdue but welcomed. I just hope it’s available at that res without having to purchase the stick and they aren’t going to increase the sub for the slight resolution increase.

NOWTV on the inbuilt app on my 4K tv looks pretty decent for 720P, 1080P is long overdue but welcomed. I just hope it’s available at that res without having to purchase the stick and they aren’t going to increase the sub for the slight resolution increase.
I think you can definitely expect an increased price, I'm sure I read that somewhere in the press release on one site.

Sky have stated they no longer consider satellite the main delivery method anymore, SVOD is the in thing at present. They will also be launching a service where their own films launch in the Cinema and are available to watch, on Sky, the same day.
Sky have also said Sky New is not as important to them going forward.

Damn. All we need is Netflix and YouTube to make streaming sticks and that all the heavy hitter with their own devices.
Who would want multiple sticks?

My elderly Roku 2 ( audio plug in handset remote ) has apps available for Sky, Netflix, Amazon Video, Now TV, Shudder, iPlayer, All4, Channel5, ITVhub, Vice, Viewster etc. Much better than multiple devices.

I was indicating that the streaming services are releasing their own sticks rather than us as consumers having to buy multiple ones.

I suppose if you don't have a NOW tv app on your tv and you don't have a NOW tv box then perhaps this is a neater solution. The Voice search function on this is a bit flaky. It worked for me maybe 6 times out of 10. I just might be interested if it goes 1080 in the future and they sort out the frame rate issue. I say "might" because the app on my tv may not get updated. On the other hand I have a BT box and the NOW tv app will probably be available for that in the not too distant future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom