NEWS: Sky announces price rises for UK

I cancelled sky after throwing money at them for the last 12 years. Same thing every year they increase the price. 👿

And have to say not missing it at all. What with Netflix, Amazon prime, Apple TV +, and my 6 month free Now TV entertainment pass with boost added. It's great..:laugh::p

Saving £45 a month is always welcome. What with crap compressed picture quality and that's with Sky Q UHD service and still no HLG in sight.
It's the best thing I have done this year by giving them the boot..:rotfl:

Last edited:
We recently dropped the Sky Cinema package as most of the "new" films were total rubbish. Seems we will be paying £30 to watch The Rookie, Chicago Fire & Med, NCIS, Magnum PI, Hawaii 5 0, NCIS Los Angeles, Criminal Minds and Law and Order. That is about 9 programs. The rest of what we watch are Freeview. Most Sky programs end up on Freeview anyway. Cheaper to pay Netflix and Prime and still have change. I think we will be dumping Sky at end of this month.

After been a Sky customer for 18 years I have now been Sky free for just over 1 year and haven't missed it one bit. Unless you get heavy discounts it's not worth it. Even for me with a 60% discount I still ended up cancelling as I realised I was only watching a few series.

And looking at the moans and groans of the folks over on the BBC licence fee thread who moan about paying the £150 licence fee who say they don't watch live tv or BBC are they going to moan about paying an extra 10% year on year increase increase from $ky.

I ditched $ky at least 6yrs ago as it is poor value for money, and to be still charging £6 a month extra for 1080 HD quality is a crime. They have been charging extra for HD for 14yrs now, now that is a rip off!!!.

Ditched Sky Q after many years, now have Prime, Netflix, Freeview which pretty much covers everything, got a cheap 6 month Now TV sports offer, the only thing I missed is the Q interface and everything in one place..

cant wait till sky contract is up, will be cancelling it along with my bbc tv license.

cant wait till sky contract is up, will be cancelling it along with my bbc tv license.
So it's true what they say about Billionaires Mr Macc;)

Can't watch premier League without sky so I pay my money each month. Iv got a good discount so I'm happy. Would have cancelled if it wasn't for PL ages ago. Know I can stream like Blackbeard but it's never great quality and is inconsistent. Still cheaper than going to one game lol.

"do Sky viewers still think the service represents value for money in the face of new streaming services, which are considerably cheaper "

NO, no, no. is the answer.

Was with them for at least 15 years.

I was paying them over €85 a month last I remember and NEVER got a discount ever from them. Their last announcement of price increases was the straw that broke the camels back.

Left them 2 months ago.

Was always looking for an alternative and found it here in Ireland by using Saorview to watch and record (with series link) all the Irish channels, and also can pick up all the English channels too on box (but functionality is not great with just what's on now/next and no 7 day planner)

Use powerful NVidia Shield TV device to watch Netflix and paid for ITVHub subscription (think it was about €4 a month) to watch all the ITV catchup services. Can't get BBC iplayer here unfortunately (without VPN hacks). The Shield also allows me to stream Blurays from a PLEX media server PC with all my Bluray rips on it.

I also get similar functionality with the LG TVs in kitchen and bedroom picking up live Saorview from aerial and English from Sky satellite feed.

The house has been wired with Cat5E and Cat6 cabling to the various rooms so no horrible WIFI performance with interference and slowdowns from neighbors WIFI systems (Cannot beat proper ethernet cabling - magnitudes more reliable than any WIFI)

So overall, I still watch the same as I always did, but instead of paying €85 + €11 (Netflix), it now only costs me €4 + €11 :)

And the best thing is I can now go into shops and buy Blurays/UHD discs and not feel as guilty as I end up still be less per month than with Sky. This month I got 3 Blurays and 3 UHD discs of latest movies I haven't seen for less than the subscription price to Sky Movies with a trickle-feed of maybe one decent movie a month.

And the other thing I used to hate about the subscription was I just know it was just subsidising and paying for those multi-millionaire footballers wages which I had no interest in doing. So happy now none of my money is sponsoring all that football now.

And of course I can still subscribe to other streaming services like Prime or even Sky's Now TV thing if I want to for much cheaper. And I actually still buy some movies from Sky using the Box Office "keep + Bluray" option. I got the special on Dora there for £15 last week. Now unfortunately I can't watch the stream at all as Box Office will not work on Shield, so I will wait for the Bluray by post. Oh and speaking of that, I have previously bought movies "to keep" from Sky and now when I look they are all gone - how can they get away with that I don't know.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

You people are still paying Sky to show you adverts of Sky?

I subscribe to Sky as they gave me a decent offer when moving back to my house after a period out renovating. But even at half price it really isn't worth the money these days as we hardly watch anything on the paid-for channels. I compared a Sky "Ultra-HD" on-demand movie to an Ultra HD Blu-Ray on my OLED and the difference was astonishing. Not a "look for it carefully" difference but a bleeding obvious one both in terms of video and audio quality. The kids do look at some on-demand tv shows but they don't really care if its netflix, amazon or whatever.
Once the discounted contract is over I'll probably switch to a plex-based whole-house freeview/freesat system. The Sky multiscreen has been working solidly in four different rooms but its pretty expensive long-term at £14 a month.

This is the kick I needed to make my mind up. I was considering binning Sky anyway, so this makes up my mind.
I only subscribe to Sky for the football, so paying for the Entertainment package is annoying anyway.
I have been paying £9 ($15AUD) a month for Optus Sports (Australia) since last year, and that gets me ALL Premier League, Europa League, & Champions League matches including the 3PMs. It's worked solidly all season, so I'll stick with that.
I currently pay Sky £41 for the Q box with Sports & HD, but I just can't justify another increase when I can use Optus anyway.
Probably a harder decision for those who use Sky for things other than Sports I guess.

Ive just joined after leaving 4 years ago.

Basically getting Sky fibre + basic channels/box sets/UHD netflix + Q box and mini box for £13 more than BT with the separate Netflix sub.

£13 for a few more channels and pvr functionality + allowing to watch Sky/Netflix on a non smart tv in another room, some would say is not worth it, but i have to say, the Q box is superb. Just press the mic button, "fast forward 4 mins" and skip all those ads.
HD can be free if you ask for it btw (when negotiating), that's one thing I was not prepared to pay for.

I took on SkyQ a few years ago when there was a deal for the whole lot for £30pm.

When that ended and cost shot up I ditched Sports as not interested, then ditched Cinema, and later still ditched Boxsets. That pretty much just left me with rubbish, but I still have it because the kids use it all the time to watch recorded and downloaded shows.

Last Nov I took out a deal to reinstate Boxsets with Netflix included for £6pm I'm currently paying £37pm for Sky entertainment, kids, HD & boxsets. So my bill will be raising to £40. I think, if you ignore what the kids watch, 95% of our viewing is done on Netflix and Prime. I've got about 13 months of contract left unfortunately, but I'm definitely going to try to resist the temptation of continuing the next time I'm out of contract.

To get a discount with Sky they try and lock you into an 18 month contract, but the contract still allows them to increase prices without you being able to opt out. Not good.

Whilst I don’t want to pay more I personally get a lot of viewing out of sky so it is what it is the only terrestrial channel I watch is the horror channel so freeview only wouldn’t do it for me.

Sky discounts are very very variable and grossly unfair to many. If they still offered the "everything for £33" deal I used to be on I'd still think it was worth it. I am extremely lucky that I am almost certain I am paying the least of anyone for Sky unless you get it for free but I'm still annoyed by it.

One thing that's really started to get to me recently is the synchronised adverts across almost all the channels now. There is literally almost no escape during an ad break (and they seem longer too). In comparison to streaming services the fact you're paying (far) more and STILL getting adverts chucked at you is almost a sick joke.

I will continue with it for the time being as the deal I'm getting is worth it but I'm not long away from renewal time so it will be interesting to see if they offer the same deal I'm on now but somehow I doubt it.

G

Why does Sky persist with charging extra for HD channels and then increasing the price in April? With Prime, Netflix and other subscription channels the HD is included. For UHD with Netflix you pay about £3 extra. Not sure about other subscription channels.

Netflix charge for full HD, 3 plans, £5.99 (720P), £8.99(1080P), £11.99(uhd)

"do Sky viewers still think the service represents value for money in the face of new streaming services, which are considerably cheaper "

NO, no, no. is the answer.

Was with them for at least 15 years.

I was paying them over €85 a month last I remember and NEVER got a discount ever from them. Their last announcement of price increases was the straw that broke the camels back.

Left them 2 months ago.

Was always looking for an alternative and found it here in Ireland by using Saorview to watch and record (with series link) all the Irish channels, and also can pick up all the English channels too on box (but functionality is not great with just what's on now/next and no 7 day planner)

Use powerful NVidia Shield TV device to watch Netflix and paid for ITVHub subscription (think it was about €4 a month) to watch all the ITV catchup services. Can't get BBC iplayer here unfortunately (without VPN hacks). The Shield also allows me to stream Blurays from a PLEX media server PC with all my Bluray rips on it.

I also get similar functionality with the LG TVs in kitchen and bedroom picking up live Saorview from aerial and English from Sky satellite feed.

The house has been wired with Cat5E and Cat6 cabling to the various rooms so no horrible WIFI performance with interference and slowdowns from neighbors WIFI systems (Cannot beat proper ethernet cabling - magnitudes more reliable than any WIFI)

So overall, I still watch the same as I always did, but instead of paying €85 + €11 (Netflix), it now only costs me €4 + €11 :)

And the best thing is I can now go into shops and buy Blurays/UHD discs and not feel as guilty as I end up still be less per month than with Sky. This month I got 3 Blurays and 3 UHD discs of latest movies I haven't seen for less than the subscription price to Sky Movies with a trickle-feed of maybe one decent movie a month.

And the other thing I used to hate about the subscription was I just know it was just subsidising and paying for those multi-millionaire footballers wages which I had no interest in doing. So happy now none of my money is sponsoring all that football now.

And of course I can still subscribe to other streaming services like Prime or even Sky's Now TV thing if I want to for much cheaper. And I actually still buy some movies from Sky using the Box Office "keep + Bluray" option. I got the special on Dora there for £15 last week. Now unfortunately I can't watch the stream at all as Box Office will not work on Shield, so I will wait for the Bluray by post. Oh and speaking of that, I have previously bought movies "to keep" from Sky and now when I look they are all gone - how can they get away with that I don't know.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

Have you tried logging into Sky Store with your old Sky user details? You should see all your purchases on there. If you can't run that app on the Shield, then easiest way is to pick up a cheap NowTV box and use it on that.

Why does Sky persist with charging extra for HD channels and then increasing the price in April? With Prime, Netflix and other subscription channels the HD is included. For UHD with Netflix you pay about £3 extra. Not sure about other subscription channels.
Netflix charge for full HD, 3 plans, £5.99 (720P), £8.99(1080P), £11.99(uhd)

BT charge £6.50 for HD on their TV package too. I think it's only Amazon Prime and (soon) Disney+ who include HD for free.

Binned off SKY about 7 years ago after having it for over 10yrs.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV and my fibre broadband for half what I was paying for Sky every month.

Too much to watch even on those really.

Sky has been really poor for years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom