NEWS: Sky and ITV agree long term deal

It is all a far cry from the days when ITV couldn’t be found on Sky because they couldn’t agree on it now it is in both parties best interests.

ITV2,3 & 4 in HD have always been subscription only (on Sky and Virgin), haven't they?

Here we go again.

We need more independant broadcasters and not broadcasters making deals with one another!

It's bad enough that the government are considering selling off their interests in Channel 4, who also have deals gomg on between themselves and Sky, without another independent making backroom deals with the devil.

I don't watch Sky or ITV.

ITV2,3 & 4 in HD have always been subscription only (on Sky and Virgin), haven't they?

No, all of ITV's channels are free to air, as are Channel 4's. You pay nothing if wanting to access them via either Sky or Virgin Media. The only service you'd have issues with is Freesat because Channel 4 refused to stump up the levy for the inclusion of their HD channel on Freesat's EPG. You don't therefore get Channel 4 HD as an entry on the Freesat EPG.

Who on earth would pay to watch ITV?

Last edited:
Here we go again.

We need more independant broadcasters and not broadcasters making deals with one another!

It's bad enough that the government are considering selling off their interests in Channel 4, who also have deals gomg on between themselves and Sky, without another independent making backroom deals with the devil.

No, all of ITV's channels are free to air, as are Channel 4's. You pay nothing if wanting to access them via either Sky or Virgin Media. The only service you'd have issues with is Freesat because Channel 4 refused to stump up the levy for the inclusion of their HD channel on Freesat's EPG. You don't therefore get Channel 4 HD as an entry on the Freesat EPG.

Channel 4 and ITV get money by advertising and third party deals so being tied closely to Sky doesn't effect it's content.

Only ITV is in HD on Freeview / Freesat the rest of the HD listings (and on demand content) are available on Sky and Virgin which I'm happy to pay to watch.

Channel 4 being made private is completely different and I'm against btw.

Here we go again.

I don't think you can access ITV2-4 in HD without a subscription.

I don't think you can access ITV2-4 in HD without a subscription.
Yes you can.

ITV have no subscription based channels.

I get them without issue via Virgin Media and I'd assume the same to be true for SKY customers?

The only subscription based service ITV provide is their ITV Hub+ service.

This is available to anyone and not just Sky customers.

Channel 4 also have a subscription based catch up service that would be ad free if you sign up to it:

Again, this is available to anyone and not just SKY customers.

Last edited:
sorry not true.
ITV2,3,4 HD are subscription only, they are not free to view.

Well I get them all in HD without having to pay an additional premium.

Blame SKY, they like charging people extra for HD and I'd guess ITV are happy to benefit from it?

CORRECTION:

I was correct when I said that I get all the HD ITV channels, but I was incorrect by suggesting they are free. I only get them as part of my upper tier TV package (FULL HOUSE or whatever they now call similar deals) and these HD channels would only be available to VM customers on such a subscription.

Doesn't really bother me one way or the other though. I never watch ITV LOL

Maybe I should be asking Virgin Media for a refund?

Maybe I should be asking Virgin Media for a refund?

why? ITV chose to make those channels subscription, it's their business model. they have made it clear previously that those channels would not exist if it wasn't for them being subscription.

I think the idea behind charging extra for HD is obsured. Did anyone pay extra for colour were you charged more for nicam stereo? Did ITV develop or invent HD?

Yes, ITV are a commercial operation, but they were not a subscription based service. What next, you only get black and white unless you pay extra?

If I'd have been given the option to get my current TV package for less if omitting the ITV HD options then I would have done so. They were forced upon me as a non negotiable extra. I don't even watch the cjannels.

Last edited:
Yes, ITV are a commercial operation, but they were not a subscription based service. What next, you only get black and white unless you pay extra?
Actually effectively yes. :) From TVlicensing.co.uk :-

It costs £159 for a colour TV Licence and £53.50 for a black and white TV Licence.

I think the idea behind charging extra for HD is obsured. Did anyone pay extra for colour were you charged more for nicam stereo? Did ITV develop or invent HD?

If I'd have been given the option to get my current TV package for less if omitting the ITV HD options then I would have done so. They were forced upon me as a non negotiable extra. I don't even watch the cjannels.

you are free to cancel your entire subscription, and revert back to Freeview/Freesat.
that would seem to solve all your complaints.

You still get colour whether you pay the license or not. The legality of the option you take is another matter.

You still get colour whether you pay the license or not. The legality of the option you take is another matter.

same could be said for the HD channels that you think should be free.
always places to source such things.

not sure what your complaint/argument is any more.
regardless, your complaint should be directed to Sky or Virgin, but ITV who CHOOSE to make those channels subscription.

you are free to cancel your entire subscription, and revert back to Freeview/Freesat.
that would seem to solve all your complaints.

I paid extra in order to access other channels apart from the ITV HD channels. The way service providers bundle channels makes it very difficult to get what you want without having to also pay for channels you don't want. It is the never mind the quality, feel the width way they've marketed TV that is now resulting in customers leaving them, especially now that the big content providers such as Disney/Fox etc have pulled their TV services and content production to concentrate on their own streaming service endeavours.

VM once introduced BT Sports to my bundle mid term, stating it was FREE, but then subsequently increased the subscription for the package stating that the additional charges were introduced to cover the costs of adding BT Sports. I complained stating that I'd never requested BT Sports so why was I subsequently being charged extra for it? There was also the fact that they'd stated it was free and then put in writing that the price increase was specifically to cover the costs of what they'd advertised as being FREE! This is illegal and false advertising. I received a refund and was not charged extra for the TV package.

Yes, I'm looking at different options. There's fewer reasons to pay a premium for bundled TV these days. The days of the bundle TV channel packages are numbered.

TV reception and Freeview are going to be an issue though. For one thing reception is problematic in my area and for another, I've not even got a TV aerial :) I've got a bin lid on the exterior wall, but this is just for show and there so I fit in with the rest of my neighbours LOL

Last edited:
I think the idea behind charging extra for HD is obsured.
Not really because the subscription charges Sky pays to the HD channels is based on the number of HD subscribers rather than a flat payment.

Presumably you've complained to NetFlix that they charge more for HD and UHD too?

Presumably you've complained to NetFlix that they charge more for HD and UHD too?

Yes.

They are all as bad as one another.

What makes you think it's okay if Netflix also do it?

I guess the $15 billion of debt they have gives them an excuse though :)

Why Netflix, and why not mention Amazon, Apple or Disney who don't charge anything extra in order to get HD or UHD?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom