NEWS: Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova

I wish them both well and hope that this ensures the survival of the consumer audio part of the business (with no loss of quality of course!).

The much more interesting part of the press release is a mystery product will be announced next week on 11 May 2021. We are only told it is an "audiophile" product. There is a press embargo for those with a review sample

Looking forward to some good quality hearing aids when I´m older :)
Many good years listening on sennheisers , those and AKGs

The much more interesting part of the press release is a mystery product will be announced next week on 11 May 2021. We are only told it is an "audiophile" product. There is a press embargo for those with a review sample
Given the recent discounts on the HD820 maybe an S version?

Given the recent discounts on the HD820 maybe an S version?

That would be lame tbh. The enthusiast headphones community wants a top tier headphone with the tonality of the HD600/HD650 paired with the extension, soundstage and imaging of the HD800. Do not charge silly money and it will sell by the bucket load and show that Sennheiser can still play with your Focal, Audeze, ZMF of this world

Or a HD600/HD650 with more sub bass extension, maybe better soundstage (the HD660 and HD560 do not count)

It would not surprise me if it is a Bluetooth device with the past press release about the future of personal audio

That would be lame tbh. The enthusiast headphones community wants a top tier headphone with the tonality of the HD600/HD650 paired with the extension, soundstage and imaging of the HD800. Do not charge silly money and it will sell by the bucket load and show that Sennheiser can still play with your Focal, Audeze, ZMF of this world

Or a HD600/HD650 with more sub bass extension, maybe better soundstage (the HD660 and HD560 do not count)

It would not surprise me if it is a Bluetooth device with the past press release about the future of personal audio
Sennheiser have a habit of overcharging! Certainly in the true wireless arena anyway, the CX400 had gone down to a more more reasonable £100 but strangely has gone back up to at least £140. If they do a new Bluetooth overear to replace the Momentum I’d expect it to be silly money given that they seem to want to compete with B&O and B&W rather than the more mainstream. Hope they prove me wrong….

Sennheiser have a habit of overcharging! Certainly in the true wireless arena anyway, the CX400 had gone down to a more more reasonable £100 but strangely has gone back up to at least £140. If they do a new Bluetooth overear to replace the Momentum I’d expect it to be silly money given that they seem to want to compete with B&O and B&W rather than the more mainstream. Hope they prove me wrong….

The internet says Phonak is a subsidiary brand of Sonova. Many years ago Phonak had a line of IEM but exited the market (I used to own the 232 model). Sonova sells four figure hearing aids (!), suggesting the interest is the Sennheiser brand and the wireless audio side. Hopefully Sonova fund the 'audiophile' part of Sennheiser and let them come out with new things

This image has been doing the rounds:

HewNcv0.png

And now we know, it is an eye wateringly expensive pair of IEMs.

It is expensive, although Sennheiser are charging less for a flagship than other brands

I still hope the new owner does not prevent a true HD800 successor. We had the HD800S, then the HD800S anniversary then the HD800S Drop edition. Seems Sennheiser are getting rid of factory parts first 😛

I’d definitely like to see them compete at the upper end of the consumer market rather than retreat into being a niche manufacturer.

Do you not see the HD800S as the successor then? I own the anniversary version but have never listened to the original HD800. I bought it as an upgrade from my HD600.

Do you not see the HD800S as the successor then? I own the anniversary version but have never listened to the original HD800. I bought it as an upgrade from my HD600

Same 'ring driver' and Sennheiser has never pretended the HD800S is anything other than a modded HD800 original 😎

For some listeners the 6k peak on the original Sennheiser HD800 was problematic and so homebrew solutions were devised to dampen the peak

That eventually gave rise to Sennheiser releasing the HD800S: the 6k peak was tamed and are the same time some harmonic distortion was added to the bass for more pleasing warmth

There are measurements to show this:

In fact, if you are sufficiently intrepid it is more budget friendly to buy a second hand original HD800 and mod that into a HD800S. The advantage is you save money and there will be tighter bass than the HD800S. The disadvantage is you could mess up the mod but one ought to know whether they are capable

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom