NEWS: Sennheiser consumer audio potentially up for sale

Steven

Senior Moderator
Wow. Hope sold to a caring buyer!

fordster

Such a shame, I’m a big fan of Sennheiser and have bought many of their headphones over the years. Currently I own the original over ear Momentum, HD600 and HD800S and think I still have a pair of cheap in ears from many years ago too. I do hope whoever takes them on doesn’t just buy them for the name and then strips away all the R&D, etc. Consumer audio (particularly headphones) is a very competitive field these days so I’d imagine the margins are not what they used to be.

I did read a rumour that Google may be interested but I hope not given their track record with buying and then disposing of hardware companies (e.g. Motorola). Apple wouldn’t be so bad but then the branding would be gone and the prices even higher! Maybe the company that bought B&W (Sounds United was it?) would be interested, that could be a good home for them.

shug4476

The risk is that they enter into partnership or permit an outright sale and the new owner/partner undermines the credibility of the brand name and so tarnishes the pro audio side of things.

I would personally think they should enter into partnership but avoid giving over majority or complete control to any external entity. Be a shame to lose such a good brand from the scene. My HD600 headphones are fantastic and serve me very well.

butcherpete

I know in the pro audio market, they make some of the worlds best microphones, and as for the name, Georg Neumann GmbH , say no more

fluxedman

I would have figured the opposite here, people stuck at home surely music and headphones sales would be through the roof, but guess not.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
The risk is that they enter into partnership or permit an outright sale and the new owner/partner undermines the credibility of the brand name and so tarnishes the pro audio side of things.
I would say the professional side would be safe. I work in the Live Music Industry & on the Live Sound & Studio area, all that matters is the quality of the professional gear they offer; the consumer products are not even in the conversation. However, Worldwide Lockdown must have hit their professional sales as well.

Last edited:

gibbsy

Going to be a big loss to the consumer that like to have some of the best headphones available. Bit like when Oppo jumped ship there's no really be players to replace their quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom