News: Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player release date & price announced

i can see george lucas rubbing his hands now, even more re issues of star wars, raiders etc etc

Got the UK version today. Will set it up later tonight. Let me know if you want me to test anything specific. FYI I have taken it out of the box and it is much sturdier in person, quite impressed with the build quality actually

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
Got the UK version today. Will set it up later tonight. Let me know if you want me to test anything specific. FYI I have taken it out of the box and it is much sturdier in person, quite impressed with the build quality actually

Awesome :)

Yes I had thought of that, even though it means channelling the wall yet again, but it also means losing full switching via the amp - and also possibly complicating audio syncing I presume?

I've been wondering if there's a remote controlled HDMI switch that could be used with the BR and Amp output going into it - save re-channeling the wall.

I don't have a HDR TV but presume still need HDCP 2.2?

If your amp pre-dates 2015 it will not be 4K compatable.

Pre-2015 could still be 4K (mine is) but won't be HDCP2.2 or HDR support.

My Onkyo TX-NR838 (launched 2014) has one HDCP 2.2 input but it is 'low speed' (10.2 Gb/s) so no HDR but should be OK for SDR 4K.

Last edited:
Still no release dates for lionsgate or sony releases. Or deadpool or the revenant in the uk! We always get screwed over.

Yes we will, although you'll have to check our site within the next few days to see which ones. Sorry its a little cryptic, but we cannot give to much away. All I can add is that we have a small number of the very first batch this month. :D

Regards, Shane.

Hello, thanks for that. Will the Panasonic be also available?

Still no release dates for lionsgate or sony releases. Or deadpool or the revenant in the uk! We always get screwed over.
Revenant is getting released alongside the Blu Ray version,on the 6th of June.
Deadpool doesn't have a release date of any format,as yet. So we're hardly being screwed over :)

The Revenant gets released stateside on the 19th April and Deadpool on 10th May so I'll probably import from Amazon.

The K8500 review will be out as soon as possible but I'm getting the UB900 tomorrow, so I will be comparing the two first.
Hi Steve. Did you say you were going to a Panasonic launch today of their UHD player? If so any updates on launch date for us?

We'll have a confirmed UB900 launch date on Monday. I also have the player in my grubby hands and it's a beauty.
Thanks Steve. Mines on preorder and I'm like a child at Christmas. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Would have much preferred the Panasonic over Samsung but the Panasonic doesn't convert DTS audio to Dolby bitstream so it's no good for my sonos :(

Do we think that now 4K in the home is finally here, film studios will only film and finish in 4K? Don't see the point in finishing in 2k to just then upscale it for the Ultra HD format to 4K.
Agreed, but theatrical 3D being locked to 2K (by the DCI spec, not by technology itself) means that most studios who continue to use 3D will keep lowballing the finish to 2K, and then there's the issue of the added cost and time it takes to render out 4K VFX in general.

I think they WILL come around in time, but it's not looking great for the forseeable future. Heck, even though Batman v Superman got a 4K finish despite the 3D, the 35mm scenes were only mastered at 2K anyway. The IMAX stuff was scanned at 8K though, so those bits at least will look the shizzle on UHD Blu-ray (they sure looked amazing in 15/70 IMAX!).

They will be popping up you soon enough in the UK.
Just need to be a bit more patient it will be worth it in the long run.

Just ordered and will be delivered Tuesday.

Just had a call from BestAVDeals and they are getting the Samsung next week for £429 and said if I waited it would be £399 a week later. They are also doing the Panasonic ub900 for £549.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Apologies for being a bit behind on all the spec requirements, etc.

But can anyone tell me, will this amp work fully (ie. without compromise) with this player?

Marantz UK | NR1606

Cheers.

Steve W

Apologies for being a bit behind on all the spec requirements, etc.

But can anyone tell me, will this amp work fully (ie. without compromise) with this player?

Marantz UK | NR1606

Cheers.

Steve W
Yes, absolutely it confirms it in the spec HDMI 2.2 and Full Specification 4K Ultra HD Compatibility.

looks like richer sounds do not want my custom after making me believe the player wont output hdr to my js8500 tv as it is not full hdr compatible and only does streaming. even after i advised him he was wrong and i have hdmi 2.0a..

Just had a call from BestAVDeals and they are getting the Samsung next week for £429 and said if I waited it would be £399 a week later. They are also doing the Panasonic ub900 for £549.

are you 100% sure after only ONE week it will be £400? if so i won't have to wait long at all to pick this up!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom