NEWS: Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display

Livemo

Just a rumour as you say. But considering the prices of LCD's rising as a business model makes hence. Personally I think buying the panels from LG is just a short term. I do believe that QD-OLED will turn the corner as far as production goes. Pretty shocked at the same time as once stated but samsung " a oled with white pixel isn't deemed to be a true oled".

CliffordinWales

I just can't see how Samsung can slot WOLED into its product lineup, which is focused on brightness / 8k as the defining features of its more expensive models.

Would WOLED come in at the lower end of Samsung's range, with "LG A series" style panels? Or at the higher end with Evo panels? If it's the latter, where does it leave Samsung's current premium offer of 8k QLEDs?

Will Samsung be retrofitting LGD's panels with any bespoke tech, perhaps the QD conversion filter intended for its sister company's QD-OLED TVs?

This news raises a whole lot of questions...

davidcrofter

Just a rumour as you say. But considering the prices of LCD's rising as a business model makes hence. Personally I think buying the panels from LG is just a short term. I do believe that QD-OLED will turn the corner as far as production goes. Pretty shocked at the same time as once stated but samsung " a oled with white pixel isn't deemed to be a true oled".

I think that would be the nail in the coffin for QD-OLED - if Samsung goes to LG Display it would signify that technology is not anywhere ready for market yet.

Livemo

I think that would be the nail in the coffin for QD-OLED - if Samsung goes to LG Display it would signify that technology is not anywhere ready for market yet.
I'm not sure about that , because getting a good yield rate will take time, plus the next stage of QD-OLED prototypes will be set out to vendors in the summer. The amount tvs samsung sells samsung display won't even have enough tvs to go around, so it makes sense on that part. Wheres LG displays are ready. if you look at next year samsung could take half the amount what LG produce in oled panels.. I do believe QD-OLED will come but will take good few years to get high capacity.

It would be a great shame if Samsung fell flat on their a*** over OLED panels - it is of great concern that LG Display have the monopoly on production.

Livemo

What! Samsung has suddenly realised that they can't make them? Lol
Well LG and Kodak own the rights for WOLED, so I doubt samsung can copy someone else's patents. The yields on Samsung RGB oled back in 2013 was like less than 40%.

MEGATAMA

LG is not in good position so this would be welcome deal for them....
They will exit mobile market now,their oleds dont hold enafe of market and lcd models from them in general are not soo good....

Well LG and Kodak own the rights for WOLED, so I doubt samsung can copy someone else's patents. The yields on Samsung RGB oled back in 2013 was like less than 40%.
Samsung couldn't get away with it - but I'm surprised that the Chinese haven't had a go at it.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Well LG and Kodak own the rights for WOLED, so I doubt samsung can copy someone else's patents.
Apple has entered the chat

Livemo

Apple has entered the chat
And the market has changed over the last year for samsung to change course? More ramp production from LGs part has made it more affordable and more profit. Hence why samsung entered the OLED market again. Just a rumour so until that document is signed no one has entered nothing lol

Livemo

Personally for me its a stopgap until samsung starts to produce QD-OLED, QNED, Electroluminescent what will take time. In the meantime samsung needs to continue to sell tvs. But samsung is planning on buying 4 million units next year? Half of LG capacity, surely they won't be enough oleds to go around for other vendors

Personally for me its a stopgap until samsung starts to produce QD-OLED, QNED, Electroluminescent what will take time. In the meantime samsung needs to continue to sell tvs. But samsung is planning on buying 4 million units next year? Half of LG capacity, surely they won't be enough oleds to go around for other vendors
It's certainly a big loss of face for Samsung - which I understand is a big deal in that part of the world?

SonOfSJ

So, does that mean that Samsung televisions (whether QLED, OLED or anything else) will now start to do Dolby Vision, which LG (and everyone else) uses, as well as doing HDR10+ (which much fewer people use)? Samsung are the only manufacturer whose televisions have not so far supported Dolby Vision HDR.

Livemo

It's certainly a big loss of face for Samsung - which I understand is a big deal in that part of the world?
But have we not seen a improvement on overall brightness with oleds in the last few years? Yes not colour volume what samsung argument was originally. But samsung is there to make money. LG display made a loss 7 years in a row, I loss what will pay off. If anything money talks, and with samsung buying that many I suggest they are getting a good deal. So it's win win

steve sph

Never yet seen a Samsung with a decent picture - maybe now if they finally get some proper panels they'll be able to compete with Panasonic/LG/Sony/Phillips.
Maybe it's down to Covid but it looks like marked improvements in technology have been put on the back burner of late.
Which is ironic really given that demand is higher than ever, because all we've had to do for the last year or so is sit on our arses and binge watch ourselves into a coma.

But have we not seen a improvement on overall brightness with oleds in the last few years? Yes not colour volume what samsung argument was originally. But samsung is there to make money. LG display made a loss 7 years in a row, I loss what will pay off. If anything money talks, and with samsung buying that many I suggest they are getting a good deal. So it's win win
Oh yes I agree, the deal makes sense for both them financially. It's just a bit of a surprise to see such pragmatism in action, it doesn't always win out. Samsung are having to tacitly admit they they have backed the wrong horses.

Oh yes I agree, the deal makes sense for both them financially. It's just a bit of a surprise to see such pragmatism in action, it doesn't always win out. Samsung are having to tacitly admit they they have backed the wrong horses.

Livemo

Never yet seen a Samsung with a decent picture - maybe now if they finally get some proper panels they'll be able to compete with Panasonic/LG/Sony/Phillips.
Maybe it's down to Covid but it looks like marked improvements in technology have been put on the back burner of late.
Which is ironic really given that demand is higher than ever, because all we've had to do for the last year or so is sit on our arses and binge watch ourselves into a coma.
Didn't samsung make some of the best plasmas? Samsung true rgb oled back in 2013 was talked about being one of the best direct view display ever according to Vincent. Ks9500 was great tv so was q9fn. Samsung display made some of the best panels, sony was a main buyer for its lcd product lineup.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
You're aware of them being taken to court over patent infringement/desgin copy right??
Didn't samsung make some of the best plasmas? Samsung true rgb oled back in 2013 was talked about being one of the best direct view display ever according to Vincent. Ks9500 was great tv so was q9fn. Samsung display made some of the best panels, sony was a main buyer for its lcd product lineup.
If you were talking back in the day of Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung, then yes Samsung definitely had a podium spot.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett