NEWS: Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?

The Quantum Dot OLEDs sound like a winner on paper,
hope the price is appealing and competitive with the LG OLEDs.

And i just took LG G1 days ago 😁
Joking aside,i m curious is it RGB oled in question...if it is how did they deal with burn in danger.....
From other side we could see full color volume and at least 2000nits oleds...

You never know, they may well get this so called technology right. They failed big time on there first attempt with OLED.

Joking aside,i m curious is it RGB oled in question...if it is how did they deal with burn in danger.....
I hear conflicting reports about the brightness of QD-OLED with some sources claiming it's brighter than LG Display's WRGB OLED and others claiming it's dimmer and/or struggles with lifted blacks. If it is dimmer then Samsung is going to struggle to sell the technology for a premium price.

Will they do Dolby vision though?

From what I have read: It is blue OLEDs with quantum dot filters to convert the colours to RGB. This compares to LG using white OLEDs with colour filters to block light to create RBG sub-pixels, plus a 4th white sub-pixel to boost brightness.

The Samsung approach should give a brighter screen as it is converting rather than blocking light. Plus more colour saturation due to the nature of quantum dots, and no white sub-pixel. On the other hand, blue OLEDs have the shortest lifespan, but Samsung might be sacrificing some of the extra brightness to give them an easier time. And quantum dots could potentially be absorbing and re-emitting ambient light to result in blacks that are not as black. However, this is a new technology, so there could be differences on all those counts depending on what advances Samsung has created.

I think it has great potential.

I can’t wait for this. I will be super happy if they reach 1000 nits in calibrated mode and lift the overall abl. Burn in risk guatantee will be nice for once…
Secondly, this behaves like a pseudo rgb panel with the promise of far more saturated colors at high brightness (woled weakness).
Sony and pana also interested so here for hoping. More 23 I guess after Samsung have a solo run in 22

From what I have read: It is blue OLEDs with quantum dot filters to convert the colours to RGB. This compares to LG using white OLEDs with colour filters to block light to create RBG sub-pixels, plus a 4th white sub-pixel to boost brightness.

The Samsung approach should give a brighter screen as it is converting rather than blocking light. Plus more colour saturation due to the nature of quantum dots, and no white sub-pixel. On the other hand, blue OLEDs have the shortest lifespan, but Samsung might be sacrificing some of the extra brightness to give them an easier time. And quantum dots could potentially be absorbing and re-emitting ambient light to result in blacks that are not as black. However, this is a new technology, so there could be differences on all those counts depending on what advances Samsung has created.

I think it has great potential.
I dont expect burn in warranty...at least not in start.
And i also dont expect high brightness...for that they will have mini led and micro led models.

I dont expect burn in warranty...at least not in start.
And i also dont expect high brightness...for that they will have mini led and micro led models.
I am hoping for at least 30 percent improvement in brightness (50 percent will be happy days) due to no filters…
Wait and see

Last edited:
I am hoping for at least 30 percent improvement in brightness (50 percent will be happy days) due to no filters…
Wait and see
They need to think about longetivity of that blue pixel....if they will use that method.

I would take an educated guess and say NO.
This technology was also shown to Sony and pana…if it works, should appear in 22/23 with these guys too
Samsung display can sell beyond just Samsung (finger crossed no exclusivity beyond 22).
I am a pana and Sony fan…I admit

This technology was also shown to Sony and pana…if it works, should appear in 22/23 with these guys too
Samsung display can sell beyond just Samsung (finger crossed no exclusivity beyond 22).
I am a pana and Sony fan…I admit
Depends if it fits into their product strategies, and whether it offers something better than WOLED at a competitive price.

Depends if it fits into their product strategies, and whether it offers something better than WOLED at a competitive price.
The fact it is in motion means it does…
They catching up on the Oled wagon without loosing too much face :)
Gives them time until micro led or whatever is ready
I am very hopeful that it can boost Oled a bit and take it where it should be…
Wait and see…

This looks really interesting.

I’m not even bothered if they’re no brighter than existing oleds - I’ve never looked at mine whilst watching HDR and thought ‘gee this just isn't bright enough’ the opposite on occasion if anything.

Another player in the oled market can only be good news for consumers.

This looks really interesting.

I’m not even bothered if they’re no brighter than existing oleds - I’ve never looked at mine whilst watching HDR and thought ‘gee this just isn't bright enough’ the opposite on occasion if anything.

Another player in the oled market can only be good news for consumers.

I'm also excited to see a new technology in the market and, if nothing else, this should give LG Display an additional incentive to improve their WOLED technology.

However, I can't see anyone buying a Samsung QD-OLED over next year's successors to the Sony A90J or LG G1 if the Samsung is significantly more expensive and not perceptibly "better".

And what would "better" mean? It must mean brighter in this context as that's OLED's only real weakness - apart from the related issue of colour volume - compared to LCD.

I'm also excited to see a new technology in the market and, if nothing else, this should give LG Display an additional incentive to improve their WOLED technology.

However, I can't see anyone buying a Samsung QD-OLED over next year's successors to the Sony A90J or LG G1 if the Samsung is significantly more expensive and not perceptibly "better".

And what would "better" mean? It must mean brighter in this context as that's OLED's only real weakness - apart from the related issue of colour volume - compared to LCD.
I agree, I feel like LG Display has perhaps been resting on its laurels for the last 2/3 years without a serious competitor to push their development cycles. Could be wrong but they could definitely do with the push.

Yes, ’better‘ is a difficult one to quantify. The very few issues my OLED has with picture quality (peak brightness, colour volume, a tendency to slightly crush very near black objects) are only noticeable when compared directly with an LCD set, whereas LCD faults are noticeable without an OLED sat next to it.

Depending on the price of the Samsung sets I may be fortunate enough to see one if the performance is good enough, my father-in-law has been patiently waiting for Samsung to get in the OLED game 😂 We shall see.

A very good article with facts.
the advantages are clearly explained
Let’s see how it turns out
This is another good article from about a year ago that sets out some of the technical differences between QD-OLED and WOLED. (At the time, Samsung Electronics wasn't enthusiastic about the technology being developed by their sister company, Samsung Display).

The most interesting differentiator is that QD-OLED, having a top-emission structure, will enable 8K TVs - which are a big challenge for WOLED at smaller screen sizes. Looks like we can safely assume Samsung's initial consumer models will be extremely expensive, even pricier than their 8K Neo QLEDs.

Nanosys calls this tech QDCC (Quantum Dot Colour Conversion Layer). Interesting watch;

Good find even if relatively old. You made me have a look at the nanosys YouTube channel. More recent 2 months chat points to a launch/unveiling end 2021 and a color gamut improvement of 25 percent (up to 95% of bt2020).
still too early to get excited but we may see good improvement in brightness and color saturations. First generation is always problematic but promising.

Last edited:
we shall see..im all for good competition for all the manufacturers to compete. but we need to see this in action, as to whether it will be better than current oleds remains to be seen

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom