NEWS: Samsung MicroLED TVs to release in 2019?

I'm confused. 10,000 nits...& what, current OLEDs hit around 800 tops?

What's going on here, are these new TVs also going to cook meals and radiate cancers?

"The price will not be as high as people think,"

Ok, I think it will be EUR 2K. Hey, Guess what? I can afford one! :rotfl:

I'm confused. 10,000 nits...& what, current OLEDs hit around 800 tops?

What's going on here, are these new TVs also going to cook meals and radiate cancers?

Each one comes with an unlicensed nuclear particle accelerator to prevent local brown outs when watching TV.

Extra brightness is great, but 10,000 nits Peak Brightness in your darkened living room...Yikes!! :laugh::eek:

Will we all be applying for guide dogs after sitting down in front of one of these retina burners.. :rotfl:

I have a feeling the cost of these sets is in the title...The WALL LUXURY!

Last edited:
It's not just that it's 10,000 nits so much as it's 10,000 at that size, potentially in a darkened room/batcave.

I' not completely sure, but I suspect that could cause issues.

Of course, 10,000 would be a peak, meaning they could actually set the set's peak brightness a lot lower than that.

And let's not forget the issue of speakers. These sets won't be acoustically transparent, and if you get to wall-filling size, where do you put the speakers?

I suspect some sort of 'soundbar' configuration, only around the size of smaller on-wall speakers, toed upwards and (for L&R) inwards. If you have a set that fills your wall, a black, velvet-covered band around 20-30cm tall along the bottom doesn't look too bad.

Up to 10k nits - I expect that’ll be the mega money halo set.

Current range topper gets to c2000 and higher in limited circs, so educated guess would be c4000 for entry level set with micro LED.

If Samsung are clever and price these right they could be onto a winner. However, pricing is not their strong point. Then we have the matter of panel/tech sharing, which could make this an enviably viable technological advance....

Interesting tech, surprised to see Samsung announce that they will be available as early as next year. Especially When the early prototypes had its problems being when the picture dims, individual panels where clearly visible. Also they have to produce the tech into smaller screens so they have work to do. They must be confident enough if they believe they can compete with oled's. i think its one more try with this new tech, or Samsung will have to join the rest in the oled market.

I think Apple will also buy into the tech not sure i they will get into the tvs market though

Prices should not be high as its not like an oled where they use organic compounds which is expensive.

Extra brightness is great, but 10,000 nits Peak Brightness in your darkened living room...Yikes!! :laugh::eek:

Will we all be applying for guide dogs after sitting down in front of one of these retina burners.. :rotfl:

I have a feeling the cost of these sets is in the title...The WALL LUXURY!

I'm picturing Searle from the Movie Sunshine looking at the Sun :D
sunshine022.jpg

"The price will not be as high as people think"

Google translate;
The price will not be as high as you think... Mr. Bezos.

Up to 10k nits - I expect that’ll be the mega money halo set.

Current range topper gets to c2000 and higher in limited circs, so educated guess would be c4000 for entry level set with micro LED.

If Samsung are clever and price these right they could be onto a winner. However, pricing is not their strong point. Then we have the matter of panel/tech sharing, which could make this an enviably viable technological advance....
Perhaps the last two years of absurd pricing has paid for all the R&D.

But we can have an educated guess at prices. While it might not be as much as we think, the whole damn world was thinking extremely, very high prices. So being cheaper than that isn’t saying much Samsung!

But it still a very interesting move.

Might be worth hanging on anotheeer year..:facepalm:
Sounds very exciting

Samsung are known to over promise and under deliver. Let's see if they deliver the promises this time.

I wonder if it will be 8K too like the rumour about the upcoming Sony ZF9?

Is there any point in 8K? Most 4K material is upscaled from lower res digital intermediates.

Normally I'm all for pushing the limits of technology, but I think people will want time to enjoy their new investments in 4k kit for a while.

Is there any point in 8K? Most 4K material is upscaled from lower res digital intermediates.

Normally I'm all for pushing the limits of technology, but I think people will want time to enjoy their new investments in 4k kit for a while.
I agree with you, but what people want, and what the manufacturers will deliver, are not necessarily the same thing.

They struggled to make the LEDs small enough for a 4k display across a massive canvas. There's no way they'll be able to do an 8k display at 75".

Guess we have to wait to see the small print, it will be 10000 nits on a .1% window :)

Last edited:
Hmm....so is this real micro led tv or the wall they show before witch is mini led and not real micro led?
Also the expected price was 150-200000 euros range.....

- Agree with you on this. It's all very well amongst enthusiasts, but the real world demand for 8k is basically zero. Hell, we're still in a world where 95% of terrestrial tv channels aren't even hitting 720p..(!)

I still can't really fathom how there will be any need for it in a front room environment anyway. It's all getting a little daft...

It will be a good 10 to 15 years before we will need 8k just sit back and enjoy 4k manufacturers just want you to buy new technology that is useless or they would go skint
It’s coming a lot sooner than that. They need to keep thinking of ways to get people to buy new TVs every few years! I’m still happy with 1080p though personally! :smashin:

Samsung have to shout about something as they look like stubborn fools with their OLED resistance.

I think some of the reaction showed here already is exactly what Samsung want to achieve... i.e. slow down the exodus train to OLED. I smell the brown stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom