NEWS: Samsung Micro LED TV announcement expected?

La Finta Nonna

Think we need a bit more detail than the coulda woulda shoulda in this article. What is going to be interesting with micro LED TV is what are the flaws

Kingchin

Think we need a bit more detail than the coulda woulda shoulda in this article. What is going to be interesting with micro LED TV is what are the flaws
Power consumption produced by all those micro leds is probably the biggest flaw. As most countries including here in the UK are trying to cut down on the power emissions from consumer electrical products tv's etc.

Sammy LuckyGoldstar

Standard Member
At this point I've been waiting for years. I'm past excited and just going to see if this ever comes out. Plus this is gonna be really expensive.

Let's see what happens.

Captain Ron

In theory it's a proper AV game changer. All the benefits of quantum dot wide colour gamut LCD combined with all the contrast benefits of OLED with none of the weaknesses of either. Let's just hope that Samsung have the wit to embrace Dolby Vision and not just keep on with HDR10+ only when it comes to dynamic HDR support.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
What is going to be interesting with micro LED TV is what are the flaws

Price will be the biggest one. Early OLEDS were 4-5k for a 55"? so these will likely be around the same price point.

As with any new tech, buying first gen will be a mistake. 2022/23 will be the correct time to buy for the more savvy consumer.

encaser

Interesting, if they do, as Samsung Electronics is launching QD-OLED monitors next year but has said no to consumer TVs coming out. and it was looking like micro LED TVs was dead in the interim.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Interesting, if they do, as Samsung Electronics is launching QD-OLED monitors next year but has said no to consumer TVs coming out. and it was looking like micro LED TVs was dead in the interim.

If its as good or better than Oled screens im all for a QD - OLED Monitor screen My existing Proff Monitor is 12 years old as still going strong.
just the price i need to find out and screen sizes available .

Jagjit

Power consumption produced by all those micro leds is probably the biggest flaw. As most countries including here in the UK are trying to cut down on the power emissions from consumer electrical products tv's etc.
From my understanding it's not that they are trying, it's that they have to. Wasn't that why Pioneer eventually pulled out of the Plasma TV market? I remember reading it was because of something to do with the sets they wanted to produce used too much energy (to produce and run) so rather than compromising on quality they just stopped making TVs. Of course I could have that totally wrong...

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
If the panels aren't sealed like oled and could therefore let such things as thunder flies in it will be a huge step backwards as far as I'm concerned irrespective of how good the picture is. Oled has been a life saver for me with the sealed panel cos I've had quite a few high end LED TVs ruined by thunder flies getting into them...

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
From my understanding it's not that they are trying, it's that they have to. Wasn't that why Pioneer eventually pulled out of the Plasma TV market? I remember reading it was because of something to do with the sets they wanted to produce used too much energy (to produce and run) so rather than compromising on quality they just stopped making TVs. Of course I could have that totally wrong...

Correct they introduced power saving targets and with Plasma tech you could only go so low .
They managed some power savings watts but not enough .
plus looking forward going 4K for the future prob was the final nail in the coffin .
Shame as it is and still a tech still going strong for something that needed Re- Gassing ;)

JSM15

Too difficult to get 4K onto a domestic sized screen, energy consumption and the consumer desire for thin, lightweight LED TV's.

Last edited:

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Duplicate post sorry

RealityDysfunction

Surely micro-led technology should in theory be one of the most efficient methods for converting electrical energy into red, blue and green light. More efficient than back-lit LCDs and more efficient than WOLED.

encaser

Vincent has a video on this and he mentions the power consumption should be low. His main issues are cost and size (as ever) of if they can shrink/do 75" etc. Although he criticises the possibility of 8K he does note that for now, 4K is fine.

MEGATAMA

Lets hope sooner then later,oleds with its organic degrading panels is not here to stay.

doylet8456

Hey just posted another video yesterday explaining this microled tech is really miniled, since each individual pixel is more than 50nm.
I'm good with my GZ1000 for another 4-5 years.

Captain Ron

I don't see how they are going to make a consumer-sized micro-led display with millimetre scale LEDs.
384cm across for the panel area alone on a 4k display assuming the pixels have no additional inter pixel gap. So no, not practical for a living room display at that pixel size.

raz77

It’s 110 inches and out next year, no cost details yet

Hixs

Distinguished Member
One for the footballers then..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021