NEWS: Samsung launches Q950TS 8K QLED in Europe

So if you aren't a professional reviewer and the general consensus amongst reviews by professionals is that Samsung have been making step forwards in the past years we can take from that your comments are outfield.
Samsung has made some steps forward and some back. There's definitely room for discussion with lower color space, lower contrast caused by x-wide and the lower effective resolution due to sub-pixel rendering. And IF the top 4k 2020 model has less zones... it will be bad.

I’m intrigued to see the pricing of the Q950TS 65”.
I assume we are looking at £3.5-£4K at launch roughly?

I think that's more the price of the Q800T, looking at £5k for the Q950T (at 65")

The price was rumored to be 5999€ for the 65inch Q950TS. So yeah 5K pounds.

Thanks. Ouch! That rules it out for me then I think. Will take that off my spreadsheet for contenders for new TV this year then. And, yes, I know it’s sad that I have a spreadsheet running for this 😩

It wasn't off base. These TVs are set to be a bag of steaming hot sh*te. Just wait and see.

Just like the well reviewed Q70 upwards? And your info was off base as it didn’t include the Q95 or the other 8K tv. You said the range was topping out at the Q90

My understanding is that the Q95 is basically the same as the Q90T except that it comes with the one connect box. So its number of dimming zones is still down to 96 or so.

They have nerfed their 4k lineup this year (pending reviews of course) in my opinion. The fact that the Q90T didn't top out the 4k range makes it even worse!

Last edited:
Almost every preview i saw until now has mentoined that they moved every model a step up. The 4K Range basically tops out at what was last years Q85R and is now called Q95T. That said the Q85R was pretty decent.

Also my guess is that the 8K Q800T (2000nits) is the new Q90R without OCB depending if this model has the 480 zones. The Q900T is like the Q950TS (both 4000nits) without a OCB and a bulkier frame.

I wonder why people are surprised and didnt see this coming ? Samsung already had a 8K TVs in 2018. And the other maufactures are offering 8K models too. They dont really care if we need them or not.

Doesn’t look like an improvement over the Samsung Q950R TV then that was 4000 nits too. MicroLED is only 5000 nits too. Looks like the big winners were those who bought the Samsung Q950R TV this or last year for a cheap price and who got a free mobile phone to boot!

Doesn’t look like an improvement over the Samsung Q950R TV then that was 4000 nits too. MicroLED is only 5000 nits too. Looks like the big winners were those who bought the Samsung Q950R TV this or last year for a cheap price and who got a free mobile phone to boot!
The software, better backlight control and better colour accuracy, if its got the new qd film then even better. I doubt it can do 4000nits in tbe most accurate movie mode, maybe 2800nits. The difference with microled is you got true blacks and high luminance at the same time. No comparison to be honest

Last edited:
The software, better backlight control and better colour accuracy, if its got the new wd film then even better. I doubt it can do 4000nits in tbe most accurate movie mode, maybe 2800nits. The difference with microled is you got true blacks and high luminance at the same time. No comparison to be honest
You get true blacks and high luminance with the QLED Q950R TV too I own 2 so I should know. And it is 4000 nits on my QLED too, how do you know MicroLED is not dynamic mode too for 5000 nits?

You get true blacks and high luminance with the QLED Q950R TV too I own 2 so I should know. And it is 4000 nits on my QLED too, how do you know MicroLED is not dynamic mode too for 5000 nits?
Sorry but not trying to go against your argument. No lcd can do absolutely black, yes very good black levels, but there's still blooming some sort and murky. My mate has one and pro calibrated. There's still lose above black, but it desperately needed calibrated. I've yet seem an measurements of 4000nits on any samsung QLED. My mates came in at just over 2500. Microled can go to 1 million nits

Sorry but not trying to go against your argument. No lcd can do absolutely black, yes very good black levels, but there's still blooming some sort and murky. My mate has one and pro calibrated. There's still lose above black, but it desperately needed calibrated. I've yet seem an measurements of 4000nits on any samsung QLED. My mates came in at just over 2500. Microled can go to 1 million nits
See this review here the best HDR TV ever:

3800 nits too. And it does have true blacks and are better than my LG 65C9 TV. The current nit figure going around for the Samsung MicroLED is 5000 nits. Like I say only 1200 nits difference and at a much cheaper price too and you may have got a phone with that too like me.

Personally I like true black TVs and a really bright picture and that’s what I have got. Even the 4k reviews of the Q90r TV said the blacks were on par with the blacks on OLED TVs and my Samsung Q950R 8K TV is even better than the Q90r TV.

See this review here the best HDR TV ever:

3800 nits too. And it does have true blacks and are better than my LG 65C9 TV. The current nit figure going around for the Samsung MicroLED is 5000 nits. Like I say only 1200 nits difference and at a much cheaper price too and you may have got a phone with that too like me.
Message Steve Withers on this forum and ask him if it can reach over 3000nits after calibration, no chance it cant. How can a display have absolutely black measurements if you can't switch off the individual pixels? That's like me saying " my oled has gloss whites with 1000nits window. And who was arguing if it was the best hdr tv? There's more to hdr than nits!

Last edited:
Personally I like true black TVs and a really bright picture and that’s what I have got. Even the 4k reviews of the Q90r TV said the blacks were on par with the blacks on OLED TVs and my Samsung Q950R 8K TV is even better than the Q90r TV.
I'm not saying the blacks aren't impressive, but there's side effects. I like blacks and brightness, but there's more to picture quality

It’s fine arguing about nits etc but for hdr I’d argue colour gamut and volume are more important. And crucially its an area where Samsung have gone backwards recently - their early QLED models covered a wider gamut and volume.

It’s fine arguing about nits etc but for hdr I’d argue colour gamut and volume are more important. And crucially its an area where Samsung have gone backwards recently - their early QLED models covered a wider gamut and volume.
Agree . I've been saying this for a long time. We need more colour volume

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom