NEWS: Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Looks pretty good, if camera and battery live up to hype, I’m in!

Kingchin

No Sd card slots 🤦🏽‍♂️
I would like card slots to return to all flagship Android smartphones as people are now storing much more pictures, music and videos. But not if it's MicroSD like on some smartphones. As the MicroSD card speeds (even the fastest UHS-II ones) are way slower than the UFS 3.1 and similar internal flash storage in flagship smartphones.

It needs a successor to MicroSD that matches the super fast UFS 3.1 internal flash storage. My OnePlus 8 Pro is blazing fast for large files pictures, videos, music etc. Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and IPhone 12 internal storage are similarly very fast. Whereas the MicroSD cards in smartphones including the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra are just too slow.

Last edited:

kinggo

well, you can still save pictures to internal storage and then transfer them later to SD card.
I like SD cards as local backup mostly. If the phone breaks, I don't have to bother with different tools and hope that maybe I'll be able to pull something out.
But what really bugs me is that many will find SD cards speed as excuse for not using them but then they have USB 2.0 speed over USB-C connector. Which is sloooooooooower than any card reader.

Har-One

Does anyone know the difference between S21 Ultra and S21 Ultra Enterprise Edition?

Har-One

I feel in two minds about not including a charger. I agree with the idea since we produce enough electronic waste, but they are so expensive that one should expect a charger to come with it.

My other complain is the usual with Samsung, why they don’t have a page with the technical specifications of the phones.

adbailey18

Been trying to order the Ultra all day direct with Samsung, either Klarna won't process my deposit via any debit card, or PayPal credit goes through the process but then just loops back to basket! Spoke with Samsung who said try again in 24 hours. But there's a chance my trade in value will drop. If it does then I'll pass! Currently using a Note9 which had a brand new screen and battery about 5 months ago.

gangzoom

^Have you logged in with a Samsung account? I couldn't get my AMEX payment to go through till I signed up with a Samsung account before starting the check out process.

adbailey18

^Have you logged in with a Samsung account? I couldn't get my AMEX payment to go through till I signed up with a Samsung account before starting the check out process.
Yeah all signed in etc, Klarna told me they accept Amex payments.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Had the same issue with my business credit card and it cost me delivery date 29th Jan to Feb 14th!! Supposedly Samsung has some top cyber security process and if it fails you go round in a loop!

adbailey18

Had the same issue with my business credit card and it cost me delivery date 29th Jan to Feb 14th!! Supposedly Samsung has some top cyber security process and if it fails you go round in a loop!
Yeah I'm being told to contact my bank, all 3 of the ones I've tried, unlikely its an issue there.

Har-One

Yeah I'm being told to contact my bank, all 3 of the ones I've tried, unlikely its an issue there.
Could it be something to do with being outside the EU? My mate was trying to buy something from Nintendo and there was some sort of problem that they could not process credit or debit transactions because they were in the EU or something to that effect according to Samsung.

All seemed to be fine after talking with the banks, but the transactions were not going through. I do not know the whole rigmarole, but the final solution was to use PayPal. Of course, that might not be your problem since you tried PayPal already.

adbailey18

Could it be something to do with being outside the EU? My mate was trying to buy something from Nintendo and there was some sort of problem that they could not process credit or debit transactions because they were in the EU or something to that effect according to Samsung.

All seemed to be fine after talking with the banks, but the transactions were not going through. I do not know the whole rigmarole, but the final solution was to use PayPal. Of course, that might not be your problem since you tried PayPal already.
No idea what the issue was, but got round it by letting the wife order it.

Strange as my credit score is excellent, and I've used Klarna before. She also used the same bank to make the deposit.

S21 Ultra for me 😁

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
No idea what the issue was, but got round it by letting the wife order it.

Strange as my credit score is excellent, and I've used Klarna before. She also used the same bank to make the deposit.

S21 Ultra for me 😁
Same for me, paid by PayPal, got round the issue! Annoying though as through company scheme I get 10% off but have to wait till mid Feb for it!

adbailey18

Same for me, paid by PayPal, got round the issue! Annoying though as through company scheme I get 10% off but have to wait till mid Feb for it!
My PayPal credit limit is only a 1K so wouldn't go through either!!

I managed to get 5% via TCB. Tracked at just over 32. £26 a month will do me! Prob pay a few chunks off here and there as well.

Garioch

I'm content with the lack of SD card personally, but understand if it remains a popular choice with other users. The specifications look incredible; even the base-case with its 1300 nits peak brightness (never mind the 1500 nits value on the ultra-configuration). This sounds like it will be an incredible phone but as the article suggests, wonder if the "Note" brand may be quietly branded out and replaced by "Ultra" as its flagship status.

I love the stylus on my existing Note, being integrated with the device. It'll be interesting to see how many consumers take on Samsung's suggestion at purchasing it as optional extra, alongside a case in which to house it.

I've got a slightly older Note but the only thing with Samsung's devices, I've noticed is it's a bit faffy to enable higher quality bluetooth codecs like AptX or LDAC (I've got to go into developer options to enable it). Although - perhaps this is related to Android itself instead of Samsung?

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
I'm content with the lack of SD card personally, but understand if it remains a popular choice with other users. The specifications look incredible; even the base-case with its 1300 nits peak brightness (never mind the 1500 nits value on the ultra-configuration). This sounds like it will be an incredible phone but as the article suggests, wonder if the "Note" brand may be quietly branded out and replaced by "Ultra" as its flagship status.

I love the stylus on my existing Note, being integrated with the device. It'll be interesting to see how many consumers take on Samsung's suggestion at purchasing it as optional extra, alongside a case in which to house it.

I've got a slightly older Note but the only thing with Samsung's devices, I've noticed is it's a bit faffy to enable higher quality bluetooth codecs like AptX or LDAC (I've got to go into developer options to enable it). Although - perhaps this is related to Android itself instead of Samsung?
They are releasing a S Pen Pro soon with the Bluetooth. functions which I will get and the case thereafter. I would guess that really might end the Note.

Har-One

They are releasing a S Pen Pro soon with the Bluetooth. functions which I will get and the case thereafter. I would guess that really might end the Note.
I still prefer the integration of the s-pen with the note. Of course, this might change for Note 21.

edward

No SD, no 3.5mm socket, no charger and they're asking a grand. They're having a giraffe.

adbailey18

I have 128gb currently on my Note9, which I've barely got halfway since owning it, so getting the 512gb ultra means SD card is a none issue for me personally. Also won't need the jack. No charger again, no issue, I have ridiculous amounts of them lying around.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published