NEWS: Samsung launch their QLED 4K UHD HDR TV range for 2017

Hi Steve,

Was there any mention of Samsung updating the 2016 KS series with the new Tizen OS updates and HLG support?

Hi Steve,

Was there any mention of Samsung updating the 2016 KS series with the new Tizen OS updates and HLG support?
This is Samsung we're talking about. There is zero chance of that. Don't expect any major updates to your TV from here on out.

Given the price structure and early tests of these sets it would appear that Samsung have shot themselves in the foot, it remains to be seen how popular they will be to consumers.

no FALD? that can't work especially with HDR

I don't know about Tizen or the rest of the 2016 range but the KS series should be getting an HLG update and Samsung also plan to add dynamic metadata as well.

This is Samsung we're talking about. There is zero chance of that. Don't expect any major updates to your TV from here on out.

Not sure that'a a fair comment - I have a 50in JU series Samsung TV and I still get Fiirmware updates for it about every 3 months including the HDR one

Not sure that'a a fair comment - I have a 50in JU series Samsung TV and I still get Fiirmware updates for it about every 3 months including the HDR one
I still get updates as well, but Samsung seem to omit major features in an attempt to force customers into buying their newer sets. For example the J series of TVs. They refused to update the Netflix app with HDR support, even though the TVs are perfectly capable of supporting that feature.

Really feels like Samsung are trailing far behind other TV manufacturers now. Still flogging that dead LCD horse. Strange to see the market leader effectively check out and stop trying. And 12 dimming zones? That'll complete with an OLED's 8294400 dimming zones. Top work Samsung, bonuses all round.

I still get updates as well, but Samsung seem to omit major features in an attempt to force customers into buying their newer sets. For example the J series of TVs. They refused to update the Netflix app with HDR support, even though the TVs are perfectly capable of supporting that feature.

OK - I can agree with that :)

Really feels like Samsung are trailing far behind other TV manufacturers now. Still flogging that dead LCD horse. Strange to see the market leader effectively check out and stop trying. And 12 dimming zones? That'll complete with an OLED's 8294400 dimming zones. Top work Samsung, bonuses all round.
Don't forget that OLED is not perfect yet either, it is still struggling to get anywhere near 1000 nits needed to properly display HDR10, let alone the 4000 nits that the industry is using for mastering content. We are still a ways off narrowing down the best TV tech for that perfect picture. Man-cave and Blu-Ray content OLED all day long, Bright location, HDR content, lots of gaming etc. tougher question, in the shootouts the LCD guys are still ahead, and the QLED is impressively colourful and bright.

Samsung are avin a laugh with this Q series, Steve I know you're probably only giving out the technical info that Samsung supplied you, but that 1500 nits for the Q7 and Q8 is complete rubbish, the 2 sets Rtings had could only hit 900 on a 10% window, and all the rest of the readings were 500-600 which is poor and overall worse than the KS range.

Also what the hell is going on with the Q9!? Has a huge price tag, yet sports 32 zones on an edge lit, I mean are they trying their best to make the Q9 look like really poor value vs their KS9500 2016 flagship? It wouldn't be so bad if the pricing wasn't so ridiculous, definitely a smash n grab this year.

I actually feel a bit sorry for buyers this year, with Samsung offering poor value for money, Sony and Panasonic with 2 high end OLED's that will be priced way out of most people's reach, with some poor to middling LCD TV's as a token from them, but to be fair I think Sony will have a couple of decentish ones, then LG with OLED which will be pricy.

Glad I bought last year.

Wouldn't say a dead horse. How many oled computer screens do we see? By all means, Im happy to spend 3k on a tv as much as i chose to spend 15k on a motorbike for dry weather use only (if im lucky) and more than I spent on my 4 wheel buddy).

So, for now I chose to spend £850 on a 55ks7000 and that is the sweet spot all rounder for me at this point in time. Horses for courses I suppose.

Edge lit = stay away

Nout wrong with the picture on mine. Forgive me for asking but who are you trying to convince ? :rolleyes:
They all have light bleed/haloing Samsung won't sell many of these at this price.

They all have light bleed/haloing Samsung won't sell many of these at this price.

You would have to come here and point those out to me :laugh:.... Agreed, the 2017 prices are somewhat high. Having said that, if someone spends the money and makes them happy, so be it:lesson:

I will agree these are expensive , and way to close to OLED pricing . Thing is I've seen quite a few review sites ( including Here ) that seem to prefer the HDR picture due to the higher peak brightness that these displays deliver . I will watch out for the Q9F review with its 32 dimming zones with interest.

Reading some of these posts almost feels like I've strayed into reddit or GAF.

Doesn't matter how much you dress it up Samsung, its still an overpriced LED TV.

The thing is there is nothing wrong with edge lit if you plan to always watch with the lights on and head on. However, if you plan on any cinema like viewing with the lights off i don't see why anybody would buy these TVs. You can spend the same and get an OLED or FALD (ZD9) which should perform a lot better. Or if you always watch with the lights on you can spend a lot less on an edge lit set from another brand.

And while more nits will be great for HDR (less than 1% of most people's viewing right now and probably less than 5% of even the most enthusiastic viewer), I've seen a lot of posts on these boards over the past year along the lines of "edge lit sets suffer a lot of blooming with HDR because of the high back light".

The reviews are not in yet and maybe Samsung has done something remarkable with edge lit tech and made it equivalent to FALD, but I very much doubt it

Edge lit LED's. Meh. And they should be reported to trading standards for using the "QLED" description.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom