NEWS: Samsung launch Galaxy S9 and S9+ with Dolby Atmos

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by hodg100, Feb 26, 2018.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Previously Mark Hodgkinson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,450
    2. george1976

george1976

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +86
      That price though, Apple setting new standards and others follow.
      I bet this could be sold for £600 but they are afraid the masses would think it's a bad quality phone, coz the price is the defining criteria these days right?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +403
      the prices aren't that different to last year's S8 and under the iphone X (there had been rumours the S9+ would be £1k), so overall its not bad.

If you have an older phone its probably a decent upgrade, but as the development rate in phones slows not worth it if you have a recent phone.

4. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +931
      I had S8 then went back to S7 as I much prefer a smaller flat screen phone.

Nothing here to make me upgrade really.

I have been tempted with the LG V30+ with it's near audiophile DAC but that's another story.

5. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,492
      Does everyone remember saying anything beyond the PPi (326) of Apple's 1st retina display being pointless?

Don't see anything beyond a small upgrade, but they at least are sticking with the expandable memory which I'd love for my iPhone.

Just like Samsung/Android catching up with Apple over time , is every other Android now catching up with Samsung?

Well apart from the Nokia 3310. Which I want. A lot lol.

6. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
      There is no need to upgrade, I still have S4:cool: and I can't see why I need to have the latest smartphone, they're all the same. The battery life is exactly the same, so why on earth I'm gonna pay £800 for a phone, which basically does the same thing, though a bit better, than my phone. The only time I'll change is when the battery life is greatly improved, then you u know it's time.

They can't improve the battery, but can add all these fancy and useless features to get people upgrading and there are dumb people out there who are in debt and can't pay their bills but would have latest and most expensive phones with them.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    7. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +132
      Great, now I'm gonna throw away all my AV equipment and use a %&"/#) phone for dolby atmos.....
      BS marketing simply never stops. :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +947
      Dolby are really damaging their own brand by sticking ATMOS on pretty much anything. How can two microscopic telephone speakers possibly provide even satisfactory Stereo sound, let alone Dolby Atmos? Same with Dolby Vision on a tiny phone display. It's utterly absurd.

At least THX used to promise quality. Dolby means nothing now.

9. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      Not sure that this is the correct place to post this , but as the Samsung has the Dolby Atmos maybe... I have the samsung S7 and a recently acquired Lenovo Tablet plus 3 yoga built around the Snapdragon 652 processor . The sound is really good through headphones or ear buds. The yoga has Dolby Atmos.
      I loaded a music player app from Radsone, and played some FLAC .files and MP3 using my Sony Headphones R1A .. model.
      The combination on the Lenovo is fabulous, whether it is the Atmos or the Radsone or both. On one of my CDs, which I have had for years there is close harmony singing btween Donavon and Liam Clancy. Until I used this software, I was unaware that this was actually a duet, and not Donavon singing alone. Now that I know to expect it, i can get the effect with the S7. .... ,Running the Radsone software, no Dolby and the same headphones.
      On another note, I heard that the S9 will have its FM radio enabled, and that would be a reason to upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    10. Har-One

Har-One
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,823
      I assume that it means that they are able to decode the standard and maybe pass it onto a device that it is able to reproduce it with all the needed speakers. Decoding is important because otherwise it might not produce any audio from that stream or recording.

11. Har-One

Har-One
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,823
      If that is the case I will be upgrading :).

I wonder if they will follow their trend of disabling the wifi chip if the phone is used in "dodgy countries"

12. Har-One

Har-One
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,823
      The new Sony XZ2 is able to record 4K HDR. Is there any info that Samsung will do the same?

13. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +403
      Its not a big update, but frankly, what was everyone expecting ? The big upgrades are done in smart phones now.

The processor is quite a significant upgrade if you need it for games etc.

In Apple terms, its just like a iphone 6 -> 7 or 7-> 8 upgrade.

In terms of other manufacturers catching up with Samsung - not even nearly. HTC are basically bankrupt. LG phones end up bootlooping or just get plain overlooked, they can't make a profit out of the business. The Pixels are a niche product for the "I must have stock Android" crowd and are missing simple features/functionality.

That leaves you with Sony (who also struggle to make a profit from phones), Nokia, who might just be turning a corner. Huawei that the FBI/CIA/NSA suggest you don't use and One Plus, who don't have a great reputation for updates..

Samsung are the biggest Android phone maker by a mile and its hard to see anyone challenging that position anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    14. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      Samsung are the largest phone manufacturer by a long mile in any OS a that includes Apple. Apple may be more profitable, but that's because Samsung have a vast range of extremely similar devices with only minor deviations one from another.
      Sony make some excellent stuff, but were I think hurt by the difficulty in opening and repairing their beutifully designed Z series.

15. teatwosugars

teatwosugars

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +77
      Had a play about on the S9 & S9+ yesterday in the Trafford Centre Samsung store.

Beautiful bit of kit.

Think the S9+ will be replacing my iphone 7 this year.

16. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,492
      Are they really that bad? Thought they at least LG and Sony are pretty close

Don’t agree with the Pixel 2 though. OK so no waterproofing (not a big deal for me). I don’t think the “stock Android” is a big thing any more in regard to advertising? Also missing the the small things? What are they? Not read much at all about it missing anything. Bixby? Surely that’s a good thing? Plus they have the best camera out of everyone. Add in the updates and it might not be important to everyone but I lay bet you’ll have more ex iPhone owners jumping ship to a Pixel than a Samsung

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want huge updates every year. That’s just not possible, but everyone craps on Apple doing small updates and here we are again with Samsung being no different when so many Apple haters think Samsung is the mobile Messiah

17. crabby09

crabby09

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +168
      So, Dolby are sell outs and Samsung will now do anything to pretend their new device is worth it.

Phone innovation has simply ground to a halt now.

18. lemmy31

lemmy31

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +132
      The last Samsung flagships (Note and S8 models) are still waiting for official updates to Oreo, an OS that was released to the public last August. That level of service is not acceptable for handsets that cost up to £870. I could tempted by the S9 plus, but no more Samsung's or any Android manufacturers handsets until they promise timely updates for their flagship phones.

19. Har-One

Har-One
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,823
      The choice of phones available to you will be very short. I guess that Lenovo and Google are the only ones which update Android reasonably fast.

20. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      What do you expect? .The dizzy pace of innovation of a new item of technology has ceased. phone technology has become a mature technology and any changes will be very minor. Batteries have not increased in capacity by much, chips can increase in processingp power, but power requires energy, and anyway the major function of the phone is as a radio transceiver, not as a remote computer, and the processing is done at the websites etc.
      There is only certain amount of quality you can get from a tiny lens, irrespective of the number of pixels

21. kahlua

kahlua

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +997
      have a pixel xl running orio 8.1,stock android is brilliant,its all ive used for years.had a play with a mates s8 way to much bloat ware on it,lovely looking phone though.

22. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +931
      You just uninstall or disable it...... no more bloat.

Nothing like they used to be, very little now.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    23. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +403
      Everyone struggles against Samsung, they've even got Apple reliant on them for screens.

Pixel 2 ? missing: wireless charging, sd card, headphone jack.
      The outer shell is made of plastic, that Samsung got beaten up for..

What do we have instead ? the ability to squeeze the phone and ask it a question and the ability to find out what song is playing.. oh and lets not forget a camera with a bunch of post processing to make the perfect selfie (background blurring etc). Lets not forget emojis (that again, Samsung get beaten up for).

And a phone plagued with problems - screen tints, burn in, fast charging not working correctly and a whole bunch of other things at launch.. to be fair some of which have been resolved.

I'm not keen on any of these assistants - they're a waste of time for me, but I understand that Bixby has some unique features, like chaining of commands.

To my mind, the Pixels have a bunch of "bloat" such as the above that I simply don't want or need.

Its a choice to make, features vs stock OS but ultimately stock Android is the Pixel USP for those who care, which brings us neatly to...

Oreo has been released for some versions of the S8, the rollout is in progress. Other than Pixels, very few devices from any manufacturer have been upgraded.

Note that pretty much any new device being released with Oreo must implement Project Treble. The idea of this is to separate the core of Android and manufacturer enhancements, which means updates can be offered quicker, because the updates won't need to be modified by manufacturers/carriers.

Will it work? who knows, lets see.

Far as updates go, what new feature in the next version of Android means that you can't possibly live a day without the update? Does your phone suddenly stop working ?

Genuinely curious, whilst I've had various OS upgrades on various devices in all honesty I've never found them to offer a game changing feature or ability. Ironically updates for the Pixels have caused some problems, that then had to be fixed in further updates..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    24. garryboy

garryboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +275
      My pixel 2 has none of the issues you mention. Think your getting confused with pixel 2 xl

Don't need an SD card. It had unlimited cloud storage. Wireless charging. Just a gimmick. Just plug it in to charge it. Not that taxing.
      Everyone moans about not having a headphone jack to plug there earphones in and on the other hand moan about having to put a connector in to charge it.

25. Dan2008

Dan2008

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +406
      Having owned a number of LG devices for the last 6/7 years i'm taking a punt on the Samsung S9.

Got giving a faulty cracked Samsung S6 from a family member that will get me £125 off the S9, plus depending on which retailer I choose to purchase from there's also cashback and discount to be on top, I think I can get it for £666 on John Lewis, - the £125 trade in, plus selling my old LG and getting a latest flagship for under £500 in my eyes is very good value for money :)

26. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,464
      I think you're looking at it all wrong. You need to view Samsung's flagships as running their own OS. The S phones get their update in March, and the Notes get it in April. They're right on track, and within their own ecosystem very timely. Also, Oreo adds pretty much nothing of any use as most features Google adds are OEM 'gimmicks' other phones have had for years. The more important updates are security updates. And as far as I know they're being rolled out monthly.

27. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,464
      I remember buying a note 4 for £630 mortified at the price I had paid for a phone. Seems like a steal now!

28. lemmy31

lemmy31

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +132
      I totally disagree. Its not just OS updates and new features that they fail with. When i had my Note 8, which i sold in Dec it was still running the August security patch, totally unacceptable. I believe it was Jan when the first security patch update was received by the Note 8. I have three handets at present all running the latest of their respective OS's. Even my HP Elite X3 still gets monthly security updates and will do until mid 2019.
      Android OS is too fragmented in updates and security patches unless it is a Pixel or late Nexus handset.
      I read that the S9 has been guaranteed OS updates for at least three years, but only for enterprise. Lets hope they can keep up with regular security updates, not catch up every 6 months

29. crabby09

crabby09

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +168
      I agree and expect nothing less... I'm just a bit disappointed - 1. in companies constantly seeking peoples money to the detriment of innovation, environment and society and 2. for a significant majority of people going along with it.

I'm just crabby by name and nature.

30. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +449