NEWS: Samsung HW-Q950A soundbar adds room calibration for 2021

davejones2

I find it absolutely outrageous that Samsung has managed to get away with 4 generations of a >£1500 atmos soundbar without even basic room calibration. It was just about forgivable on the k950 given that it was pretty much the first atmos product of it's type, but since then they absolutely, 100% should have introduced something.

Reading between the lines it doesn't seem like they have even implemented what the system actually needs (basic calibration of the levels of the different channels to a mic in the listener's position; even a simple set of test tones would have been sufficient) and instead it's going to be a some sort of auto EQ, given that the mic being utilised is on the TV set itself. Subwoofer management might be of some benefit, but that is very easily adjusted manually regardless.

To add to the insult Samsung are only making it available to consumers with one of their new TV's! That is an incredibly cynical move and an absolute facepalm to any of the other 1000s of consumers who happen to have a different model / brand and have just spent >£1500 on a soundbar.

I really think that the reviewers of these products need to take on some responsibility for holding Samsung to account on this. As long as the likes of Steve Withers, who produce multiple reviews of the same product across much of the popular tech press, are giving recommended badges and 9/10 scores they are just not going to bother. Dolby Atmos test discs are not even available through normal retail channels so what exactly is the point of reviewing the soundbar using one when it's not in any way representative of the average consumers experience?

It's a tiny extra cost for them to implement that would make an absolutely vast difference to the products sound quality.

Perhaps if Samsung finally get deservedly slated for this sort of decision-making on their premium products they would stop taking the pee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tegs200

I find it absolutely outrageous that Samsung has managed to get away with 4 generations of a >£1500 atmos soundbar without even basic room calibration. It was just about forgivable on the k950 given that it was pretty much the first atmos product of it's type, but since then they absolutely, 100% should have introduced something.

Reading between the lines it doesn't seem like they have even implemented what the system actually needs (basic calibration of the levels of the different channels to a mic in the listener's position; even a simple set of test tones would have been sufficient) and instead it's going to be a some sort of auto EQ, given that the mic being utilised is on the TV set itself. Subwoofer management might be of some benefit, but that is very easily adjusted manually regardless.

To add to the insult Samsung are only making it available to consumers with one of their new TV's! That is an incredibly cynical move and an absolute facepalm to any of the other 1000s of consumers who happen to have a different model / brand and have just spent >£1500 on a soundbar.

I really think that the reviewers of these products need to take on some responsibility for holding Samsung to account on this. As long as the likes of Steve Withers, who produce multiple reviews of the same product across much of the popular tech press, are giving recommended badges and 9/10 scores they are just not going to bother. Dolby Atmos test discs are not even available through normal retail channels so what exactly is the point of reviewing the soundbar using one when it's not in any way representative of the average consumers experience?

It's a tiny extra cost for them to implement that would make an absolutely vast difference to the products sound quality.

Perhaps if Samsung finally get deservedly slated for this sort of decision-making on their premium products they would stop taking the pee.

Could not agree more .

Last edited by a moderator:

sc1lcq

I know realistically having calibration is a good thing but with the q950 I haven’t missed it. With previous soundbars and set ups I’ve found it hinders the quality rather than improves it but appreciate I might have had some bad luck. But it was stressful nonetheless and I welcomed just going with how it sounds out the box!

PlasmaIan

Standard Member
is the visual display still on the top of speaker or returned to the front ?

Jkaiser3

Standard Member
Could not agree more .

So I have read that this sound bar is not entirely limited to being able to use calibration via a Samsung tv. That you will be able to use smart things or the bars mics to room correct. I believe their marketing info, said for the "best result" room calibrate with a tv from Samsung. But i have read a couple reviews discussing the workaround.

adzify106

Novice Member
This. This. This.

This post is exactly what I was looking for. Has anyone got any further on this. If you check the Samsung website on these bars it only shows them as working with QLED Q70 and above:. HW-Q950A 11.1.4ch Soundbar (2021) black | Samsung Gulf

I'm hoping to get a new Sony OLED and wanted to pair it with this soundbar but now I'm not so sure. The info is conflicting because I've read a couple of other places that if you don't have the Samsung TV the sub and soundbar microphones will perform the SpaceFit and calibrate themselves. If that's correct no problems but if they don't that's crazy. Seems like a lost opportunity, if they are going to be so anti-consumer I'll just buy a new LG or Sony soundbar then.

adzify106

Novice Member
If it's of any interest Samsung News has announced this.. https://www.samsung.com/au/news/local/samsung-introduces-new-soundbar-range/

Samsung has developed the SpaceFit Sound feature, which harmonizes audio levels and contributes to sounds being delivered as they were originally developed in production. Recognizing the size and reverberation characteristics of the room, select Samsung soundbars utilize the built-in microphone and DSP in QLED TVs to deliver optimal sound. This collaboration feature is available in soundbar models HW-Q700A and above and QLED TV models Q70A and above from this year.

What’s more, the Samsung soundbar models above the HW-Q900A also include the Auto EQ feature, which analyzes surrounding spaces with a built-in microphone mounted on the subwoofer instead of using the TV microphone. This offers optimized sound by calibrating excessively amplified low frequencies and sounds that are offset by other audio. This feature doesn’t require use of an active TV microphone, is available across all TV models and is an ideal fit for both older and newer televisions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom