Quantcast

NEWS: Samsung faces lawsuit over quantum dot usage

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
I'd imagine that this has caused panic in the Samsung boardroom as it could stop the production/sale of all models of their QLED TVs, a huge hit. One worth keeping an eye on.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
They’ve been using QD tech since 2015. What’s taken so long?
The wheels turn slowly with this kind of thing. They need to do a lot of testing etc to have a good case against Samsung. That all takes time and money.

Also, like anyone filling patent infringement, if your going to sue for millions, first the stealing company has to make millions from it. Sue too early, and your likely to make less money from it as you cannot show how much money you've "lost".

Many companies do this Apple has done it many times. Pair up with someone, walk away and make something using the knowledge they got, (now they just buy them). It's usually worth the risk.

Last edited:

Rockets

The bottom line is until the case is finalised you can't really say what may be true or not true. For all we know Samsung may have some documents which they think cover them.

kiran_mk2

Nanoco were the first company that worked out how to synthesise QDs on the multi-kilo scale. It's entirely possible that Samsung's supplier has found an alternative way of doing this that doesn't use Nanoco's protected method and there are plenty of other QD suppliers: in fact, Samsung bought one of them, QD Vision a few years ago: Samsung Acquires Quantum Dot Tech Company QD Vision.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Nanoco were the first company that worked out how to synthesise QDs on the multi-kilo scale. It's entirely possible that Samsung's supplier has found an alternative way of doing this that doesn't use Nanoco's protected method and there are plenty of other QD suppliers: in fact, Samsung bought one of them, QD Vision a few years ago: Samsung Acquires Quantum Dot Tech Company QD Vision.
Yes, very possible.
I owned Nanoco shares a couple of years back and have somewhat tracked the story.

My suspicion is that Samsung have used Nano's tech and just varied it slightly.
It's a very shoddy way to treat a company, given that it's a very small player in the scheme of things, but no doubt typical in today's world, where dignity counts for nothing and profit counts for everything.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nano get a few million out of it and have to be happy with that.

Foster1984

I was reading an article yesterday (I'll try and dig out the link to it), which stated Nanoco was worth £67 million, and this case had the potential to cost Samsung hundreds of millions.

If that was the case, and Samsung thought they might actually lose the case, I suspect they would just make a play to buy Nanoco and therefore acquire the QD IP that way.

kiran_mk2

Nanoco shares popped when news of the lawsuit came out. Not sure it will pay off. Think back to when Apple told Imagination that it no longer needed their PowerVR GPU technology. Imagination came out with statements and probably lawsuits saying that there was no way Apple could have developed its own GPU within infringing Imagination IP. But, here we are years later and nothing seems to have come of it.