NEWS: Samsung Blu-ray players not working for many owners

Gary J

I'd not used my Samsung UBD-M9000 Blu-ray player for a while, so booted it up just to see if it was suffering. First thing that came up was an update request, which I've rejected for now. LOTR The Two Towers extended Blu ray edition plays fine.

mikeysthoughts

This appears to have caused a range of unusual behaviours in BD players, and it looks like an OTA fix is going to be extremely difficult given that the units don't stay powered on for long enough to take hold. Oops.

Can't wait for Samsung to release an OTA update for their first Cyborg.

i-robot.jpg

mikeysthoughts

Oh hold the phone - maybe the Arcam software engineer got promoted and has led his first deployment.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
From what I’ve read, the issue seems to be affecting ‘J’ series models globally. My BD-F6500, which is on bedroom duty, is happily trundling along, as always.

AVRAG

Any solid evidence on which models are being affected? Haven't turned mine on in a while have to admit, but want to be cautious if I do in the near future. I have auto update on!

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Any solid evidence on which models are being affected? Haven't turned mine on in a while have to admit, but want to be cautious if I do in the near future. I have auto update on!
Could you just turn off your router when you power up the player, then you could go into the menu and turn auto update off?

mikeysthoughts

I always turn auto update off on all of my kit, for reasons such as this.
Agree with you there, but if it's a security certificate that's expired (similar to an issue Samsung TV's had with iPlayer at Christmas), it won't be an update that has caused the issue.

Disconnecting the unit from the internet might be a temporary solution, but no guarantees.

Some official comment from Samsung would be welcome.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
You’re assuming that Samsung is going to do anything about it. Their support for firmware updates on ‘old’ hardware is lamentable. I don’t think that they care. Only if this problem breaks into ‘normal news’ might they act. After all, it’s not as if they can flog you a new player.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom