NEWS: Samsung announces new QLED TVs to support HDR10+ Adaptive

Sir QD oled

They should better support Dolby Vision the idiots :thumbsdow Next one is a DV supported television 100% sure of that

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
HDR10+adaptive adaptive+ adaptive++ HDR10++adaptive++

=Still not Dolby Vision

jpsunrise

Novice Member
They surely will have to switch to Dolby Vision eventually? What exactly is the holdup? Isn't this just like HD DVD vs Blu-Ray and they just positioned themselves wrong?

dan~

I believe Samsung still sells the most TV’s so they probably don’t care if people like me was somewhat planning on getting a new Samsung TV next year.

It looks like DV will not be supported for 2021 TV’s so LG it’ll have to be, I suspect many others will not buy a new Samsung TV next year along with a PS5/Xbox Series X as games will be DV.

Silly decision of Samsung, but like I said they sell loads so why bother for them and it’s that attitude why is why it’s a no for me

dante01

Distinguished Member
They surely will have to switch to Dolby Vision eventually? What exactly is the holdup? Isn't this just like HD DVD vs Blu-Ray and they just positioned themselves wrong?

There's no holdup. The absence of Dolby Vision support onboard Samsung TVs is a purposeful omission of it. Samsung claim it denies them the ability to manipulate the image in a manner they see fit, hence why they came up with their own dynamic HDR system to try rival Dolby Vision. They also avoid having to pay Dolby the associated licensing fees associated with Dolby Vision if not employing it onboard their TVs.

Whether the adaptive version of HDR10+ is warranted is neither here nor there. The industry as a whole hasn't ditched Dolby Vision and hasn''t embraced HDR10+ as being a better alternative. I think some rather dubious under table deals may have been initially used to get some parties onboard, but most have simply abandoned their original commitment and gone back to using or endorsing Dolby Vision.

It makes no difference as to what knobs and knockers Samsung add to it if no studio is actually encoding their content with it. It is basically a label they can stick on boxes to try befuddle potential customers with. How many studios are now going to start using HDR10+ just because Samsung is introducing an Adaptive element to it on Samsung TVs?

Last edited:

MahaRaja

Samsung is flogging a dead horse, no one gives a toss about HD10 Plus, and with hardly any content with HDR10 Plus, no can one benefit from.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not entirely true, Amazon prime has tons of 10+ content.

Is it all getting rave reviews due to the effective use of HDR. Are the titles topping the viewing charts?

Amazon avoid using Dolby Digital. I assume based upon cost. Why do you think they've adopted HDR10+. Because it is superior or because the licensing fees are cheaper? I've also a sneaking suspicion that Amazon have made some under the table deals with Samsung, hence why Amazon have bombarded their streaming service with content using HDR10+?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think you'll find the average punter would feel the same about DV as well.

The average punter would be incorrect then because while HDR10+ is declining, Dolby Vision's popularity and use is increasing. You can only flog a dead horse if it is dead. While HDR10+ does seriously appear to be dying, Dolby Vision is alive and well.

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Samsung’s DV position will only annoy me when I want one of their products and that doesnt appear to be happening any time soon.
Affordable QDOled/micro Led, then I’ll complain about their head in sand approach to DV. Sadly their sales figures help them believe they’re on the right track

Bobo666

The average punter would be incorrect then because while HDR10+ is declining, Dolby Vision's poularity and use is increasing. You can only flog a dead horse if it is dead. While HDR10+ does seriously appear to be dying, Dolby Vision is alive and well.

Never said they were correct, just that it doesn't feature highly in their decision process. That is why imo Samsung haven't yet bothered with DV.

Sir QD oled

TBF to Samsung, their TV's are selling shedloads and their QLED perform better than most Dolby Vision OLED in HDR. If anything, they are showing how HDR should be done.
If it is in a dark room they got punished by oleds in a bright room different story then the Qled takes the upper hand but it is still close and just the top tier Qleds even a q80t is no match for an oled in DV. Samsung marketing machine has no equivalent but selling numbers is one thing PQ is another. Where were they on the shootouts the past years worldwide ?

dante01

Distinguished Member
TBF to Samsung, their TV's are selling shedloads and their QLED perform better than most Dolby Vision OLED in HDR. If anything, they are showing how HDR should be done.

That isn't actually substantiated by the facts:

HDR10+ isn't superior to Dolby Vision.

My LG OLED can actually emulate what HDR10+ does by simply applying dynamic tone mapping to static HDR10.

dr no

Samsung are stubborn idiots at best, con artists at worse !

cuke2u

"HDR10+ isn't superior to Dolby Vision"
Quite, and the average purchaser will not be bothered either because there is, and always has been, dynamic tone management with HDR10+. The only real difference is in the maximum nits, which most tv's cannot achieve...

Jay53

I would imagine that them likes Amazon etc chose to go with HDR10+ as HDR10 which has being first has more content available can be converted to HDR10+ relatively easily whereas DV requires frame by frame resampling.

What is it people are wanting that DV provides?

10000nits? No TVs are even remotely close
12bit? No commerical TVs have 12bit panels as most are not even 10bit with mfrs preferring to use 8bit+frc panels

So that leaves dynamic tone mapping which HDR10+ provides and both seems to benefit cheaper TVs that dont have sufficient native range?

So I am genuinely interested in why the furore over not having it if our TVs support HDR10+ instead? 🙂

dr no

I would imagine that them likes Amazon etc chose to go with HDR10+ as HDR10 which has being first has more content available can be converted to HDR10+ relatively easily whereas DV requires frame by frame resampling.

What is it people are wanting that DV provides?

10000nits? No TVs are even remotely close
12bit? No commerical TVs have 12bit panels as most are not even 10bit with mfrs preferring to use 8bit+frc panels

So that leaves dynamic tone mapping which HDR10+ provides and both seems to benefit cheaper TVs that dont have sufficient native range?

So I am genuinely interested in why the furore over not having it if our TVs support HDR10+ instead? 🙂
Because almost everything has Dolby Vision. And punters want their new TV to be compatible with the main HDR standard when they pay out thousands of their hard earned money.

You should really ask why Samsung are NOT making this simple and easy and ‘being screaming for’ change

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett