NEWS: Samsung announces Micro LED and Neo QLED TVs for 2021

I’m not changing from an oled. I’m certainly not buying into 8K when some movies (which I primarily use the tv for) struggle to look that good in 4K due to limitations

If it’s at OLED prices then I’m definitely interested, if it’s way above that, I think I’ll wait till the tech has matured and come down to where I think I’m getting value for my money.

If it’s at OLED prices then I’m definitely interested, if it’s way above that, I think I’ll wait till the tech has matured and come down to where I think I’m getting value for my money.
Tbh I think we will be waiting a while mate, Samsung sure know how to charge for their TVs, their normal current top end qleds are priced extremely high when compared to oleds And that's just standard old lcd.

I'm definitely interested in the Q95A. Depending on contrast, brightness levels and how well game mode is. Overall how good picture accuracy is. Still happy with my C9, but we'll see on improvements

Last edited:
I found it interesting how the guy in the video kept saying blooming reducing technology....Basil, don't mention the war...
I'm not interested in poorer blacks but eye drying brightness - particularly in a large set that will make you wince anyway.

Banding, Tint, Image retention/Burn-in, ABL and dirty greyish whites for example

Really? I haven't got any of those.

Tbh I think we will be waiting a while mate, Samsung sure know how to charge for their TVs, their normal current top end qleds are priced extremely high when compared to oleds And that's just standard old lcd.

Ive always thought oled was more than qled so just went and checked

Samsung Q95T 55in £1299
Samsung Q90T 55in £1199
LG CX 55in £1299

Look to be in the same ballpark to me?

At the time I was looking June 2020 and picked up my q85r 55in for £899, the Oleds were all more expensive so couldn't justify the £400 difference :(

Hopefully Samsung add at least a couple of full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports and allow the user full control over tone mapping. Also find some way to have full local dimming in game mode, maybe a faster processor or algorithm

It’s only the specular highlights that the higher nit value will be benefit, it’s not like the whole screen is going to melt your eyeballs otherwise lawsuits would kick off big time...never mind the uncomfortable experience.
Reports from ces 2018 had (I think it was Sony) a demo with very high nit value (10000) and it was reported it made everything much more lifelike rather than everything was bright.

Really? I haven't got any of those.
Same here. All good with our B7.
And dirty greyish whites? Sounds like someone needs to clean their screen!

Hopefully Samsung add at least a couple of full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports and allow the user full control over tone mapping. Also find some way to have full local dimming in game mode, maybe a faster processor or algorithm

Looks like freesync premium plus gives full control to the 5000 and 6000 series AMD cards i.e bypasses all tone mapping of the TV and VRR controlled by card.

As to which of these TVs will support it, jury is still out.

And the announcement of 12bit support (jury still out again if it really is a 12bit panel or 10bit+frc) I would sincerely hope that there is at least one full bandwidth 48Gbs port seeing as the only reason for needing 48Gbs is either 4k/120 12bit RGB or 8k/60 12bit RGB. 4k/120/10bit RGB is already covered by the existing 40Gbs ports found on both LG and Samsungs 2020 4k line up.

I haven't read all the comments in detail and maybe this is a reading comprehension fail on my part too, but doesn't the original article mix and match microled and miniled?
This seems confusing to me.
I thought mini led was led backlit and the 'mini' part is because they are much smaller than traditional non-organic leds.
Microled on the other hand is even smaller and they are self emissive, with no backlight.

Am I wrong? It's an important distinction.

Ive always thought oled was more than qled so just went and checked

Samsung Q95T 55in £1299
Samsung Q90T 55in £1199
LG CX 55in £1299

Look to be in the same ballpark to me?

At the time I was looking June 2020 and picked up my q85r 55in for £899, the Oleds were all more expensive so couldn't justify the £400 difference :(
I'll pick the 65" since that seems to be the size many opt for now.
Samsung Q95T when launched was £2999, for the 65", The LG CX 65" OLED was £2799 when launched, £200 more for an lcd that doesn't even have Dolby Vision.
So they are charging £200 more for a standard old LCD.
I can only imagine what they will price the new amazing MiniLED at.

I'll pick the 65" since that seems to be the size many opt for now.
Samsung Q95T when launched was £2999, for the 65", The LG CX 65" OLED was £2799 when launched, £200 more for an lcd that doesn't even have Dolby Vision.
So they are charging £200 more for a standard old LCD.
I can only imagine what they will price the new amazing MiniLED at.
Unfortunately, pricing history also tends to show that Samsung will take much longer to start to reduce their premium tier sets too. Whereas, LG traditionally start dropping prices much faster in chunks - although of course you have to allow for retailer peaks and troughs over the year.

I haven't read all the comments in detail and maybe this is a reading comprehension fail on my part too, but doesn't the original article mix and match microled and miniled?
This seems confusing to me.
I thought mini led was led backlit and the 'mini' part is because they are much smaller than traditional non-organic leds.
Microled on the other hand is even smaller and they are self emissive, with no backlight.

Am I wrong? It's an important distinction.
Correct, Mini-LED is basically just FALD like the original high-end ones which actually had a good number of zones but cheaper to manufacture and thinner. Micro-LED is true emissive screen with 3 LEDs for each pixel.

Are they heat vent holes on the side or just decoration on that set in the video? Just wondered about heat issues.

And the announcement of 12bit support (jury still out again if it really is a 12bit panel or 10bit+frc) I would sincerely hope that there is at least one full bandwidth 48Gbs port seeing as the only reason for needing 48Gbs is either 4k/120 12bit RGB or 8k/60 12bit RGB. 4k/120/10bit RGB is already covered by the existing 40Gbs ports found on both LG and Samsungs 2020 4k line up.
An interesting and completely pointless feature, given that there's no 12 bit (native) content it could display. But as a result, it'll require an additional processing step to add information that's not there in the source content. The increase in bit depth is at the wrong end of the video pipeline!

This is from Samsung's blurb -
"Neo QLED increases the luminance scale to 12-bit with 4096 steps; this helps make dark areas darker and bright areas brighter, resulting in a more precise and immersive HDR experience."

Er, nope and nope. Increasing bit depth, even to just the luminance scale, which is odd in itself, will not give darker dark areas nor brighter bright areas. It'll just give more graduation in each colour, or between black and white, if it's just the luminance scale.
It's not like Samsung to blatantly lie to its customers... :rolleyes:

I'm not sold on the number of dimming zones, or lack thereof either. At most, the 4K version could have 2500 dimming zones, according to reports. That's still 3318 pixels per dimming zone though, so blooming and clouding are still very much likely to be a thing. Seems like just a marketing exercise to tide those over who must have the 'next big' thing, until a true leap forward like Micro LED becomes affordable.

Paul

I’m not changing from an oled. I’m certainly not buying into 8K when some movies (which I primarily use the tv for) struggle to look that good in 4K due to limitations

If it's clearly better tech and PQ than OLED, then the issue is just one of affordability to make the change. But like all new tech, there will be flaws in the early generation examples which will sorted over time. 8K however is going to be a white elephant IMHO, a marketing tool to try and persuade the masses that they need a new TV - never mind that upscaled HD is going to look worse than it does on a 4K.

Nice to see so many old friends and the excitement back. Happy new year!!!

beside the usual Oled vs mini led vs micro led discussions, it is nice to see mini led and micro Led come to the scene so refined.

Great NEWS but like everything first generation, my interest is on mini led for now until micro led is refined and within financial reach...8k is a distraction at best but that’s just me. Keep safe

Some intruiging announcements. 2021 is going to be a interesting year for new TV tech I think.

Correct, Mini-LED is basically just FALD like the original high-end ones which actually had a good number of zones but cheaper to manufacture and thinner. Micro-LED is true emissive screen with 3 LEDs for each pixel.
It would probably be better if Micro-LED was called something like ILED as OLED is the natural comparator. Also if, a few years ago, we had instituted a policy of punching in the mouth anyone who called an LCD TV an LED TV, I think we would be in a much better position.o_O

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom