NEWS: Samsung announces Micro LED and Neo QLED TVs for 2021

Will the new ones be one screen, Steve’s article sounds like it might be, but Samsung’s video still shows it as a modular design..would be nice if we get a 77” one piece screen

Please Dolby vision! Especially with Xbox doing games in Dolby vision later on in the year!

samsung will never support DV ! they invented hdr10+ for that very reason !!

Dirty screen effect should be lower with a manufacturers more expensive flagship LCD models. I would say what's actually crap (if you value a faithful accurate picture) is Samsung, LG, Sony etc AI upscaling modes. As it uses artificial digital noise reduction and edge enhancement etc to manipulate the picture. Thankfully you can turn them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a shame CES isn’t happening like usual, i’m sure you could rally enough troops to shout DOLBY VISION over and over during the Samsung presentation.

It’s beyond silly now

I love oled, but let’s not pretend it doesn’t have issues - all tech does

I also really like webOS, although I think it would be an interesting idea if TV manufacturers would partner with the likes of Apple. Let Apple handle the UI and interface (I like my Apple TV a lot) and letting them focus on the hardware.
I really hope this doesn't happen. Apple do the same things others do at an inflated price. 2 identical phones except one has £10 worth of extra memory. Price goes up by £100.
If you start putting their stuff in tvs, prices will increase by more than what is fair for what you get.

Steve, did you get a demo of the new smaller microled panels, assuming it’s improved (modular edges against edges) compared to 2018’s The Wall, or are you not allowed to comment yet?
I haven't physically seen Micro LED (or anything else for that matter) since November 2019, it's all virtual these days!

I haven't physically seen Micro LED (or anything else for that matter) since November 2019, it's all virtual these days!
Cheers, of course, for a brief second I had forgotten about Covid :)

Micro led getting closer, when it hits £10k for the 110” I’ll think about swapping out the projector for one but realistically that things going to be 6 figures based on other flagship TVs of similar size!

Looking forward to seeing what comes out from all manufacturers.

I am getting long enough in the tooth to still get excited but be sceptical till they are out in the wild, we see prices and actual owner feedback.

I hope prices for micro led are somewhat sensible.

A lot of issues.

Really? A lot? Pray tell of these many issues you speak of.

LG announced and shipped reviewers to see OLED about 2 years before they actually had some to sell. Shall we just wait and see if this worth any real attention?

Banding, Tint, Image retention/Burn-in, ABL and dirty greyish whites for example

Banding, Tint, Image retention/Burn-in, ABL and dirty greyish whites for example
So all the same issues as LCD barring the burn-in then?

Not the same really. LCD have no ABL and white color is perfect. LCD have no burn-in and image retention is not an issuie. LCD have DSE. But it is different beast than banding and issuies with uniformity in near black that OLED have. LCD have no ugly tint that you can see on almost every OLED in some degree.

The real advantage of OLED is perfect black... That's all

When I said oled has issues, I wasn’t wanting to start a lcd v oled debate that’s been done many times. Agree with posts above, but all tv/projectors have issues (let’s be positive and call them strengths and weaknesses) yet still providing amazing viewing experiences.

While micro is still some way off from our homes, I’m as excited about it as I was when first reading about oled. The thought (and cost) on the installation process is pretty cool, arrives in a box and you take it out in sections (maybe quarters) and simply hang on the wall.
Maybe if there are tinting issues, a section can be replaced (I wonder if you can still use it while in missing section mode as you can watch 4 inputs at a time). I like the idea of multiple inputs on a big screen, not that I’d watch 4 programs at once, but as we wfh, could have news on one section, laptop on the other, conf call on the other and web browsing on the other all at 55” (of course they all need individual sources and of course you need the acceptance of a 110” wall).
Will be interesting to see the price differences in sizes 70/80/99/110

Isn't that the general point that was being made by the post he replied to? That ALL tech has some issues?
Can we try to not get into the lcd vs oled stuff here again?

Last edited:
Micro Led screen 88inch
lets hope there is a Monitor version that comes .

And its a All in one screen thats good news but i like the thought of expanding it later on . :)

Wonder about the zone count for the 4k models vs the 8k.

I'm moving into a new house this year, with 6m viewing distance in the living room,
so have to go big, allready approved :clap:

Can't wait for the prices on a LG 83'' 1000 nitter vs 85'' Samsung QN900/QN90

Hope there's still is a metal remote for the top models.
I guess they can make it out of old soda cans.

Thread tidied.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom