NEWS: Samsung announces Micro LED and Neo QLED TVs for 2021

fluxedman

More info here on that:

Looks impressive but if you have to hand over a kidney is it worth it.....

Samsung appear to be pushing for their qd hybrid oleds trials this summer, they mention monitors also and if all goes well with the prototype reviews maybe 2022+ release date.

They say should be cheaper then OLEDs also

fluxedman

Very interesting, I did read Samsung are struggling to produce or get higher yield OLED type units going so looks like they finally caved in and gone to Lg for their OLEDS like most already have done.

It still feels like it will be a miracle if Samsung produce qd hybrid oleds and actually put it in the store for sale though.

Livemo

Very interesting, I did read Samsung are struggling to produce or get higher yield OLED type units going so looks like they finally caved in and gone to Lg for their OLEDS like most already have done.

It still feels like it will be a miracle if Samsung produce qd hybrid oleds and actually put it in the store for sale though.
The next prototype will be set to vendors in the summer, from there it will get feed back. If its positive then next stage in production will start. Will take time to get masses, and it will lose money in the short term. I think mainly because of high sky prices of LCD panels has made samsung change course. Its argued that back 2013 white based oleds weren't "true oled" that is true, but a business model oleds panels of dropped.

TheTechChap

Well, my Samsung QN90A is dead on arrival!
neoqled.jpg

cuke2u

Bugger :-(

Jay53

I guess it’s a case of “If you can’t beat ’em....”

They need to get over their fear of Dolby though, if they want to compete 😁

I really don't think they are bothered as Samsung accounts for roughly 31% of TV market with LG second on roughly 16%. It wouldn't surprise me if the use of LG panels pushes that higher. E.g. gets those who prefer OLED but prefer the bigger brand buying Samsung too. I would also question if the majority of general public even care which standard such as Dolby vision is incorporated into their TV as they all accept HDR10 so Joe public can play their 4k blu rays, Netflix, Amazon prime etc and probably not even realise lol

Last edited:

ashenfie

Not sure what all the fuss over no DV is. Have to see what we get and what issues the new tec has. I will review in 4-5 years if all goes well. Needs to be very good to beat my current panny.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
DV seems to be the supported HDR of choice (from streaming companies), never mind the technical side (frame by frame...) if available people want it v standard HDR. It’s annoying nearly all manufacturers support it yet Samsung don’t. Just annoying ...

Jay53

As an additional HDR format then yes DV has a larger than HDR10+ but I believe overall HDR10 has the largest footprint as you will find that whilst these streaming companies have DV items they also have the HDR10 version where as the same is not always the case the opposite way around ☹️

steviedr

Distinguished Member
HDR10 is the base format they all support.
HLG for broadcast (tv) most will have
DV/HDR10+ is the dynamic version of HDR with DV leading between the two.

A few support all, would be handy if they all did so the user gets to use the dynamic version, but the default base does the job v none at all.

Morve

Quantum is such a troll 😂

TheTechChap

Well, my Samsung QN90A is dead on arrival!
View attachment 1492254
Update on my Samsung QN90A that was broken right out of the box. Its was checked over and confirmed not to have been damaged in transit as the TV had no damage and neither had the packaging it was in. It was fault from within somewhere. I decided to give it a second chance and recieved a brand new replacment TV. Unfortunately the replacement has real bad dirty screen effect so that replacement is being sent back too.

Last edited:

TheTechChap

I had a small amount of time with my replacment QN90A before it was boxed back ready to go back with dirty screen effect, and it did have noticable blooming in certain scenes. So i can see some people feeling what he's trying to put across in that video.

ab12

Rtings has reviewed Q80A - also ADS panel, not VA. Strangly Q60A has VA
Correct, but the American Q80T wasn't the same as the European Q80T. The Q80A is no different, but their difference is even bigger now. The Q80A in Europe comes with a VA panel by AUO, SDC or CSOT dependent on size. Overseas it comes with an ADS panel by BOE, except for 50 and 85 inch which will be VA.
Can you confirm the panel type? Some reports of the EU/UK QN90A also having an ADS panel, unlike the US version.
The European QN90A comes with an ADS panel by BOE, except for 50 inch and 85 inch. QN91A and up have VA panels and will therefore perform similar to the American QN90A.

Have a look here or this post which includes a list of all panels based on their replacement parts in Europe. You can even check it yourself. For instance the 55Q80A: click on LCD/LED-panel TV and you'll see PRODUCT LCD-AUO as replacement part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petey20

Correct, but the American Q80T wasn't the same as the European Q80T. The Q80A is no different, but their difference is even bigger now. The Q80A in Europe comes with a VA panel by AUO, SDC or CSOT dependent on size. Overseas it comes with an ADS panel by BOE, except for 50 and 85 inch which will be VA.

The European QN90A comes with an ADS panel by BOE, except for 50 inch and 85 inch. QN91A and up have VA panels and will therefore perform similar to the American QN90A.

Have a look here which includes a list of all panels based on their replacement parts in Europe.
Samsung just enjoy confusing everyone I'm sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp