NEWS: Samsung announces Micro LED and Neo QLED TVs for 2021

CaptainJames

Will be interesting to see if the micro LED is a genuine game changer, or just more lipstick on the LCD pig.
8K? Pointless.

Ant77

Wow sounds like some really good improvements coming to the LEDs. Unlike the mess of 2020's 4K range. Some of this stuff actually sounds proper interesting and innovative. Ler's see if they actually work

MahaRaja

I think Micro-Led model is going to be mega expensive and unrealistic prices for most consumers.

However, Neo-QLED is more consumer oriented, as it's Micro-Led; fare more cheaper to make than Micro-Led models.

Wedlock

No Dolby Vision is no Samsung for me....they are the only company that’s not using it while others and content providers alike do.
Expensive licensing fees is just a lame excuse as far as i am concerned.

I’m sticking with OLED for now.

RealityDysfunction

I think Micro-Led model is going to be mega expensive and unrealistic prices for most consumers.

However, Neo-QLED is more consumer oriented, as it's Micro-Led; fare more cheaper to make than Micro-Led models.
You mean the Neo-QLED is Mini-LED I take it? We'll have to wait and see if they really exploit this properly with a couple of thousand dimming zones, I have my doubts, but could be a decent improvement over current models.
Even their Micro-LED panels are not really Micro-LED in my book, not unless they can use them to make a 4K 55" TV.

can't believe they are still not implementing Dolby Vision, regardless of whether the genuine technical reasons are moot,

Dubliner1

Any news on new 2021 Samsung Soundbars? I'd like to see Samsung finally introduce some type of sound/room calibration.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Any news on new 2021 Samsung Soundbars? I'd like to see Samsung finally introduce some type of sound/room calibration.
They won't be announced until later in February.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Great to see micro led launched as a consumer product, yes, I’ll have to sell my garage full of spare PS5’s to pay for it, but it’s a good start. Hopefully in 4-5 years they will be affordable (AVForums affordable), again hopefully my oled will keep me going until that point.

Solar charging remote, what an obvious when you think about it but fantastic feature.
Also, well done on selling the stand separately, how many dumps or attics have a tv stand sitting in them from many of us who wall mount.

It will be interesting to see how mini lcd sorry mini led performs, a nice play on names “the best tech available is micro led, but for those who can’t afford it, try its little brother mini led” wonder how many will fall for that one...
Can’t deny, the neo looks great side on (considering oleds bar the GX series have the bloated lower 1/3 for electronics - why can’t they all take the one connect approach).

Steve, did you get a demo of the new smaller microled panels, assuming it’s improved (modular edges against edges) compared to 2018’s The Wall, or are you not allowed to comment yet?

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

Although the CES has the word “consumer” in its title, I do wonder how many of these TVs (and indeed others announced at the show) will be affordable to the vast majority of consumers. Not very many, I suspect.

I know everyone goes on and on about MicroLED but personally I think it's always going to be inferior to OLED. LCD is always going to be a limiting factor, it cannot match the responsiveness of OLED. The only issue with OLED is burn in which I don't think is actually anywhere near as bad as people believe (judging by Rtings testing) and gets better every year.

Why does everyone say this is free from burn in. LED's get dimmer over time. Having a bright logo on a dark background will result in burn in, perhaps not as quickly as OLED but it will happen. I've also seen old LCD displays feature IR issues.

LG need to keep driving down the cost of OLED and reducing burn in issues.

What is Samsung thinking? No Dolby Vision, no Airplay 2 - not in a million years will I install your proprietary software on my computer Samsung. I actually see 8K as a negative, it's resolution for the sake of resolution, it just eats up streaming bandwidth and murders graphics cards for no appreciable improvement in image quality.

The 77" LG GX is as close to perfect a TV I've ever seen, if they update it this year with full 48Gb/s HDMI 2.1 ports then it'll be perfect for me. I also really like webOS, although I think it would be an interesting idea if TV manufacturers would partner with the likes of Apple. Let Apple handle the UI and interface (I like my Apple TV a lot) and letting them focus on the hardware.

TROYBOY

prices will be very interesting to see on these bad boys.
Will they deffo announce price lists at CES?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
@SCOLANATOR I thought last years hdmi2.1 ports reduced bandwidth was down to the chipset, don’t think they can be increased via firmware (that’s an assumption on my part btw)
Maybe you mean the 2021 range will be back to the full 48 like the 2019 range
Agree, the GX is one great looking tv

MahaRaja

Are we going to see QD-OLED this year, this was reported to be unveiled this year.

Micro-LED is the future but will take another 4-5 years to refine and prices to come down.

Mini-Led is the one that Samsung is hoping consumers buy in mass, hope Sony & Panasonic bring out
Mini-Led sets as well, their offering I think would be better than Samsung, in terms of performance and quality control.

Matson

Distinguished Member
I know everyone goes on and on about MicroLED but personally I think it's always going to be inferior to OLED. LCD is always going to be a limiting factor, it cannot match the responsiveness of OLED. The only issue with OLED is burn in which I don't think is actually anywhere near as bad as people believe (judging by Rtings testing) and gets better every year.

Why does everyone say this is free from burn in. LED's get dimmer over time. Having a bright logo on a dark background will result in burn in, perhaps not as quickly as OLED but it will happen. I've also seen old LCD displays feature IR issues.

LG need to keep driving down the cost of OLED and reducing burn in issues.

What is Samsung thinking? No Dolby Vision, no Airplay 2 - not in a million years will I install your proprietary software on my computer Samsung. I actually see 8K as a negative, it's resolution for the sake of resolution, it just eats up streaming bandwidth and murders graphics cards for no appreciable improvement in image quality.

The 77" LG GX is as close to perfect a TV I've ever seen, if they update it this year with full 48Gb/s HDMI 2.1 ports then it'll be perfect for me. I also really like webOS, although I think it would be an interesting idea if TV manufacturers would partner with the likes of Apple. Let Apple handle the UI and interface (I like my Apple TV a lot) and letting them focus on the hardware.

Are you confusing Micro LED to mini LED there? Micro LED has an even faster response time to OLED. It sounds like your talking about Mini LED.

robotron

Micro LED will be crazily expensive but sounds like it ticks all the boxes, has no cons (as of yet of course) and could be the best TV technology yet.

All the new technologies were crazy expensive at some point, even back in the days of plasma. Hopefully in 3-4 years we'll all be buying them as if they're bog standard at at reasonable prices and be able to watch GMB all day long (not really, I wouldn't have it on my TV at all) without the risk of burn in.

Kingchin

Will be interesting to see if the micro LED is a genuine game changer, or just more lipstick on the LCD pig.
8K? Pointless.
MicroLed will eventually become a game changer (though not for 10 years time or longer until the technology matures & the consumer prices come way down) the brightness of LCD and the blacks of OLED but without any worry of burn in. I don't like Samsung's current MicroLed wall tv's which are lots of different modular panels joined together.

Even though its meant to look unnoticeable invisible seamless. Wouldn't surprise me if the Samsung consumer MicroLed tv's are still modular a few panels joined together. I don't think MicroLed technology is available yet for 4k, 8k resolution in just a single panel.

8k resolution televisions do have the advantage of smaller pixels so you can sit closer to the screen.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett