NEWS: Samsung Announces 8K TV UK Price and Availability

I would imagine anyone who can afford these sets will also have a top sound system anyway.

For the cinema and O2 size entertainment venues 8K makes sense due to the density of the pixels,but in the home it is a waste of time.
Samsung should be congratulated for designing such a product but in the real world it offers nothing to the viewer sitting in their lounge.

Definitely a marketing stunt to make people look twice when they would otherwise be drawn to OLED.

The uneducated will look at the specs, listen to the Curry's sales staff guff, and buy an inferior product which likely makes the majority of stuff you CAN watch on it (1080p) look worse than it would've done on a 4K QLED set.

There is no 8K road map in the UK, and the costs of even 4K production are currently such that 1080p will remain the primary delivery format for many years to come.

At the present time, this is utterly ridiculous.
Even if 8K was on the horizon, most enthusiasts would execute a degree of caution given the confusion already played out with HDMI versions and HDR formats.

Give it up Samsung. Buy in some OLED panels from LG until your MicroLED technology is read for prime time.
Uneducated? Not everyone what's oled, regardless of 4k 8k panel. Instead of buying LG panels best to work on OLED QLED hybrid what samsung is doing, regardless the self emissive QLED will be more impressive imo

Everybody keeps on about better picture quality but are people forgetting about sound. Having an amazing sound system when your watching a blockbuster makes all the difference buy a cracking telly and a cracking sound system job done
This article is about 8k televisions. Why would we talk about audio?

Actually Samsung are late to the party as Sharp is already on their 2nd generation 8K, so in reality 8K is old hat and 4K is only suitable for a museum exhibit to show how things were in the good old days. :D

Regarding the scaling, I believe it is more to do with the closeness of the pixels that makes it easier (The eye finds it more difficult to see that it is upscaled) rather than the scaler itself, (Assuming a typical 65” to 100” size) which means it cannot be achieved on a 4K TV no matter how good the scaler.

However, as I said in my previous post, we will have to wait and see.

Bill

8K would have a benefit for gaming, and that is anti aliasing! Downsampling an 8K resolution to 4K, gives you an unbelievably clean image that shouldn't be understated, so I'm imagining a native 8K should be something.

Video doesn't suffer from temporal stability like graphics do, and so I can easily imagine the difference between a 4K and 8K movie to be negligible at best on a 65" especially, but hey gimme the PC horsepower and I'm there :)

No interest here, like the post states 4k is pretty much still "new born" here in the UK. Steaming 4k needs a very good connection which mine can handle, but when you then look at live streaming that demand almost doubles and unless you have fibre to door that is pretty much out.

This is a proof of concept ATM as TV broadcasters are only just fully getting on the 4k bandwagon. With the beeb doing a fantastic job with Wimbledon 4k this year, they have stated they need to get with other broadcasters to find a standard for live 4k that also works seamlessly with standard definition without delay.

Because the resolution of the human eye is limited, so the benefit of increased resolution is on an exponential curve at whose top 4K already sits. The jump to 4K from 1080p matters because the human eye can discern it. The human eye cannot discern a difference between 4K and 8K when sat at a normal, or even pretty close distance. 4K is very close to the limit of what we can see, 8K sails pointlessly beyond it.

8K is a marketing tool, nothing more. Don't be duped.
That's only your opinion, many people including me disagree. I went to the BBC NHK Olympics demo in 2012 that showed 8k clips from the London Olympics and the clips had more detail in them than anything i had ever seen before & any 4K i have seen since.

The higher the resolution either film or digital the better the picture. Baraka & Samara both originally 70mm films have way more detail than any 30mm films. Same will apply to 8k tv's, granted a good source will be needed to get the better picture ie proper 8k films and sports etc. Still i don't think 8k will be mainstream for quite a while, probably first in Japan with the Olympics getting staged in Tokyo in 2020.

Last edited:
Commented in the other 8K thread, but i will say if they are significantly brighter than the Q9 i can see the Americans being the first to bring a class action against Samsung for eye damage;)........as it is my Q9 has me closing my eyes at times as its just so bright even with backlight set low.

lol The English too ;) Both the 75 and 85 are 4000nits so double the brightness of the Q9.

My-eyes-the-goggles-do-nothing.jpg

do we have an 8k forum on here? cant find it..can see plenty of forums for tvs but not a specific 8k one?

Are early adopters of 8K TVs going to find themselves with duds like those that bought early 4K TVs did?

Are early adopters of 8K TVs going to find themselves with duds like those that bought early 4K TVs did?
It would appear some are hoping these improve HD/4K analogous with those buying/bought panels and separate scalers etc. but obviously onboard in this instance.
Samsung's pushing of these sets has certainly been geared to look what it can do with existing lower res' material.

do we have an 8k forum on here? cant find it..can see plenty of forums for tvs but not a specific 8k one?

If we don't I feel that would be a good idea personally as 8K seems to be getting a lot of hate by some so we should have a specific forum section for 8K for people who are interested. Especially since this is really the first proper 8K consumer range being released.

It would appear some are hoping these improve HD/4K analogous with those buying/bought panels and separate scalers etc. but obviously onboard in this instance.
Samsung's pushing of these sets has certainly been geared to look what it can do with existing lower res' material.

I wonder if they will promise a magic box to be released every year that will keep the TV bang up to date, then not bother and claim they never promised such a box.

I think they actually just announced a 2018 evolution box because of how many complained about that ^^ lol. Hopefully it makes them think twice about doing it again.

If we don't I feel that would be a good idea personally as 8K seems to be getting a lot of hate by some so we should have a specific forum section for 8K for people who are interested. Especially since this is really the first proper 8K consumer range being released.
You may well have a Samsung Q900R thread to yourself for a bit with your purchase! However, next year may see more buyers' threads with 8K sets.

I wonder who is the first person who is going to start an owners thread.

I don't look at 8k as being some fantastic upgrade over 4k..i see it as a solution for 4k issues like banding, which may be solved under an 8k screen, only time will tell...also it will be a gateway to a full spec hdmi 2.1 ..if it eventually drops in price to 4k levels, it will be a no brainer to buy an 8k screen over a 4k one, if your in the market for a new tv anyway.

Im guessing that will be me :rotfl: After owning a Q9FN it will be fun to compare as that's fresh in the memory.

There's gonna be an awful lot of Matson posts in that thread! Lol, just don't fall out with yourself and get banned :laugh:

Was going to ask the weight of the 75" but didn't think anybody would know but i've just found out it's 41.1 kg without stand and 42.1 kg with stand and the boxed weight of the tv is 58.8 kg.

@simonlewis Yes, you also have found out the details from Samsung UK! I went to QLED 8K TV Highlights - Immersive TV is here, then I scrolled down to the Choose Yours page, this one:
Samsung QLED 8K Choose Yours.jpg

There are three sizes offered under Please Select. For me, the only size that I would be interested in (already owning several 75" screens) is the 85" size. Selecting the 85" size, then clicking on "Find a Retailer" and then selecting my favourite retailer Richer Sounds and lastly choosing the Specifications tab, tells me (echoing what post #72 above says for the 75" size) that the 85" size weighs 58.5 kg with stand, which is relatively light for such a huge screen - I mean, my Panasonic 65VT65 plasma weighs 50.5 kg, and that is "only" 65 inches - the 85" Samsung has 71% bigger screen area for only 16% heavier!

And at Richer Sounds and elsewhere, the 85" size is £14,999. Which is very expensive of course, but not completely out of sight and I suppose it is in line with the 75" version being £6,999 - the really, really big sizes are always proportionally more expensive than even the medium-big sizes.

And at Richer Sounds and elsewhere, the 85" size is £14,999. Which is very expensive of course, but not completely out of sight and I suppose it is in line with the 75" version being £6,999 - the really, really big sizes are always proportionally more expensive than even the medium-big sizes.

Looking at the 75" Q9FN for £5400, another £1600 to gain a native 8K panel, better local dimming and more zones (hopefully), and 4000nit HDR, I'd say that's worth paying for at that size, defintely a low enough premium for someone who was ready to shell out £5400.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom