NEWS: Samsung and LG dominate in separate premium TV markets

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +116
    2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
      AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,950
      Why do you think Europe prefers OLED premium TVs?

3. pcaddy

pcaddy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +462
      Because we Europeans have have better taste than the Americans you only have to look at the Donald to see that :rotfl::rotfl:

4. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      American properties are usually bigger than ours. I'd expect their screens to be bigger than ours too. Once you start getting bigger oled is prohibitively expensive.

5. Nightfa11

Nightfa11
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Agree with Deron's comment above, but also I'd guess that European homes tend to be darker on average than those in the US, meaning that the somewhat lower peak brightness of OLED screens is less of a factor.
      Also I think the belief that Americans tend to like things that are brash and bright has some basis in fact, and in a showroom comparison of otherwise similar TVs, the LCD TV is likely to have more of that instant wow factor.

Interesting tho that the preference is so clear cut. I wonder how the percentages pan out for countries like Japan, S.Korea, China and so on, as it's in the Far East that most of these TV are being designed and built. Do they follow home market preferences or are they largely influenced by overseas sales? Or maybe neither, just follow the tech...?

6. Algis

Algis
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      I am from EU and I do not agree with pcaddy, that Americans have no taste. No... Americans have a great taste, and you can't sell sh...t to Americans too easy. At least my friends who live in California - they are great, smart, and value quality goods at rational price/performance. Many best products are designed in US (and with great taste - Apple, etc.). And many nations can only dream about president who cares so much about the money that comes into his country's citizens pockets. So, despite all the bias against his personality, especially from TV channels that like democrats more than republicans, like CNN, I will not be surprised if lot of people will vote for him again. He fights for US as he understands it, his team do the right things even if he fails sometimes to communicate them in usual (before) presidential way, so to say. And I respect that - the taste choice of all his voters. We do not see republican news channels in Europe, like Fox News, and we could be a bit biased. But lets stop the politics - we are good, both Americans and in Europe! Back to TVs :)

Deron's answer I believe is correct. To get the proof, just one more number is needed - the average screen size of TV sets purchased in US and in Europe. OLEDs currently are produced in volumes only with small screen sizes, 65" or less. Prices for a few OLED samples produced at 75" are above the roof, and for TVs of normal sizes (for 4K/8K) like 85" or larger to watch from 4 meters distance or more in larger family/living rooms, OLEDs just are not here yet.
      I personally purchased both Sony OLED (AF8 at 65") and Sony LED (FX90 at 75") and I clearly see the OLED purchase was a price/performance mistake. 75" is so much better compared to 65" at the same price - size matters. Also 75" LED has less glare - for OLED you need dark room to realize its benefits and that's not usually the practical case, even if in complete darkness OLED performs a bit better than very top quality LED. In bright rooms the OLED screen is too much like a mirror. So larger LED (most important - top quality LED, with local dimming, HDR, good anti-glare filters, etc.) instead of smaller OLED is wise choice for now, before the price of OLED will drop for large TVs. Americans outsmarted Europeans in this case - they are buying better (larger) screens for the same money.

Another reason for smaller screens is that in Europe we have a huge delays of TV channels to upgrade their quality to HD. Can you believe VH1, MTV Hits, etc. channels are available only in SD in Europe?? Today, in 2019, you cannot get these in HD neither via satellite nor via local cable or IPTV! In US these are in HD for many years already. Half of channels on typical local cable TV are still SD. What will you see trying to watch SD channel at 75" screen size? Blurred too much, even with Sony upscaling quality, SD is too bad at 75+ sizes. That's why many Europeans still believe 65" is a big TV. Too big, for SD. Right for HD. Too small, for 4K. As people will start to watch true 4K, the 75" at 4K looks like 42" at HD. Then, many will want bigger TV size.
      For 4K, in US they have 20% better frame rate (60fps instead of 50fps) - with higher resolution, fps is increasingly important. I do not understand why, but even with 4K standards Europe was left at 50fps and US at 60fps. As most European channels are delivered at 50fps, they produce some "50 to 60" screen stuttering on PCs, tablets, etc. as the screens of these devices typically run at 60fps. I cannot watch BBC World News (50fps content to 60fps screen) scrolling text at bottom of the screen fluently at any device (iPad, PC, iPhone, iMac) while USA channels run perfectly (60fps content to 60fps screen). All these specific to Europe quality problems are less noticeable on smaller screens, and that leads to choices of smaller screen sizes.