NEWS: Samsung and Amazon launch HDR10+ with Dynamic Metadata

Thank you Steve
Million dollar questions: what are the chances of this format taking over hdr10 completely ? When ?

Secondly, it looks like no need for hdmi 2.1 for this new HDR standard.

Last edited:
Thank you Steve
Million dollar questions: what are the chances of this format taking over hdr10 completely ? When ?

Secondly, it looks like no need for hdmi 2.1 for this new HDR standard.
Whether HDR10+ succeeds will depend on how much support it gets from streaming services and the studios. Although you don't need a full HDMI 2.1 connection to deliver dynamic metadata, it will depend on how much headroom the manufacturer included when choosing their HDMI 2.0 chipsets, Samsung were obviously planning for HDR10+ with some of their 2016 TVs.

Whether HDR10+ succeeds will depend on how much support it gets from streaming services and the studios. Although you don't need a full HDMI 2.1 connection to deliver dynamic metadata, it will depend on how much headroom the manufacturer included when choosing their HDMI 2.0 chipsets, Samsung were obviously planning for HDR10+ with some of their 2016 TVs.

I see what you mean. If they secure Netflix on top of amazon, this could be enough to sway the balance
They have been planning this for a while indeed. Shame it wasn't done as a consortium from the start...
Really messy this hdr and wish it didn't exist sometimes...just made things very complicated

Well, it's really good news if HDMI2.1 isn't required to implement HDR10+ and I will happily applaud Samsung if they have managed to make that the case.

Couple of questions remain though.
1) What is the actual bandwidth requirement for HDR10+ ?
2) Is it going to be a streaming HDR solution only or will it also be used for future UHD disc releases?

If it's going to be used on UHD discs then I imagine it will have to sit on top of the base HDR10 layer. Similar to the way Dolby Vision encoded UHD discs will have to be.

I can see where this is all heading. A market is being created for an on-the-fly HDR format converter video processor which also can remap to SDR. So you give it an HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision or Technicolor HDMI feed and tell it to output whatever. Going to happen and going to be a good market for it. Likely not a cheap thing. Might even be the next big thing in AV receivers. HDR format transcoding.

Last edited:
Is it going to be a streaming HDR solution only or will it also be used for future UHD disc releases? If it's going to be used on UHD discs then I imagine it will have to sit on top of the base HDR10 layer. Similar to the way Dolby Vision encoded UHD discs will have to be.
HDR10+ isn't currently part of the UHD Blu-ray specs but if it was added I suspect you're right, it would sit on top of the HDR10 base layer.

It looks like they got HDR10 slightly wrong and this fixes it. DV got it right and so does HLG, but the HDR10 guys dropped the ball. Now fixing it is going to be really messy because the original HDR10 is baked into the UHD disk format spec.

Be interesting to see if Panasonic, LG, Sony are able to update 2016 TVs to include dynamic HDR.

Either way i wont be swapping out my 58DX750 until 2020 as they want us buying 8K TVs next year, so will wait for those to settle in prices.

Aha, this perhaps explains why the dark scenes in the Star Trek Beyond UHD look way too dark on my Samsung KS7000. Honestly, I had to turn on Dynamic contrast! For shame!

Is this especially important for edge-lit LCDs?

Ergh...yet another blow to my JS9000 :(

HDR10+ isn't currently part of the UHD Blu-ray specs but if it was added I suspect you're right, it would sit on top of the HDR10 base layer.
I guess it depends on how 'heavy' the metadata actually is. Dolby uses an enhancement layer, yes, but it's not just for their special sauce dynamic information as it also includes a 1920x1080 signal which one assumes carries some sort of goodness which contains the extra information needed to rebuild the 12-bit output.

But seeing as HDR10+ isn't concerned with higher bit depth then the dynamic metadata could well end up just being part of the metadata payload, riding shotgun alongside the static mastering information and thus ensuring maximum backwards compatibility. It would still need a change to the UHD Blu spec and indeed TV signalling protocols (which Samsung are planning to retrofit to some of their displays, as you say) to make it happen, natch, but if it is just additional metadata and not some larger bolt-on of actual picture information then it may be surprisingly easy to keep it as a single-layer solution for UHD Blu.

If it does ever get added to the disc spec then it'll be interesting to see how Dolby handle it. I would imagine that because it's a Samsung joint and Dolby actually have their own proposal for dynamic HDR which is separate from DV (SMPTE ST 2094-10, I believe) then the HDR10 base layer of DV would continue to be static only, albeit downconverted from the DV original during the mastering process by using the DV metadata.

New Press Release announcing HDR10+ partnership between 20th Century Fox, Panasonic and Samsung.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Hiya, I have a 2017 Samsung Q7F and Amazon Prime how do i tell if running HDR10+?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom