NEWS: Ruark announces R3 all-in-one music system

bogart99

I am after something like this, being old school as stated with a CD collection. I would like to know though could I use it to stream my own music from my NAS?

k-spin

Doesn't look like the manual is available yet but the manual for the R5 (both the R3 and R5 are DLNA compatible according to Ruark's website) says:

You can also stream audio to your R5 from a Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) compatible media server. This is where you browse for music on the server itself and play it through your R5. There are many apps available for Mac, iOS, Linux, Android, Windows phone, etc that will turn your smartphone, tablet or laptop into a DLNA media server. Windows Media Player even has a ‘Play to’ function built in that allows you to stream music stored on your computer directly to your R5. With DLNA media streaming, your R5 functions as a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) so you browse for music on your smartphone or laptop and then stream it to your R5 over your network.
I like the look of this. Had been looking at maybe upgrading my bedroom R2 Mk1 and the CD capability of this would be useful.

bogart99

I see they are on the Mk3 version of the R2 now what advantage does this have over the one you have now? If this can stream from my NAS, to where oneday I will transfer my CD collection, maybe having a CD player is not paramount just handy.

k-spin

My R2 doesn't have any built in streaming capabilities - it's just a radio.

It does, however, have a couple of aux inputs so I currently have a Chromecast Audio plugged into the back of it so I can stream from Spotify etc.

bogart99

So no real need then to upgrade unless you want the CD player. I am also thinking of getting a Quad Vena Play to replace my amp in the living room and maybe an R2 in the kitchen. I really must start looking at what is out there regarding streaming units.

k-spin

Have you been talking to my wife? :laugh:

You're right though, I don't need to upgrade but I could use the R2 elsewhere in the house and the CD player would be a "nice to have".

bogart99

No wasn't me but I know the feeling. Got it in the ear a week ago after ordering a new tv.
'What's wrong with the tv we have' blah blah blah, they just do not understand.

k-spin

The R4's £699 according to the Ruark website.

Just noticed that the R3 doesn't have multi-room capabilities when paired with other Ruark devices (R2, R5, R7, MRx). Seems a bit of an odd omission?

mors

Each to their own.Last year my Pure Avanti died and I was looking for a tabletop radio and eventually bought an as new ex dem Naim Muso for £699 which is not much more than prices quoted here.The Musos sound is on another level compared to either Ruark 3 or 4 both of which I have heard.It has native access to all BBC His - Res radio stations and as a second system I can play music from my NAS using Minimserver.

bogart99

I would like something like the Ruark that I could talk to to ask it to play this or that either from Spotify or from my NAS. Lots of Alexa enabled bits of kit around but I believe one cannot get Alexa to play from a NAS.

MrCynical

I see they are on the Mk3 version of the R2 now what advantage does this have over the one you have now? If this can stream from my NAS, to where oneday I will transfer my CD collection, maybe having a CD player is not paramount just handy.
The Mk3 version of the R2 does indeed have streaming built in, via wifi. The range of supported services is fairly basic by modern standards, since the Mk3 came out in 2015:
  • Spotify Premium
  • Internet radio (via TuneIn, but it seems to have been exempted from the BBC's cull last year)
  • DLNA

bogart99

I am wondering if the Roberts R1 would suit my needs? Plus it is available at £49
Reviews are mixed mainly the app seems to be the problem.

Last edited:

MrCynical

I am wondering if the Roberts R1 would suit my needs? Plus it is available at £49
Reviews are mixed mainly the app seems to be the problem.
The apps for all these types of devices are, without exception, terrible. The Ruark app for example only loads up to the letter G of my network music share's artist list.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Top Bottom